Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
mpoi

Slide out question

Hey boys and girls
I got my camper home last night. Got her in my driveway, not an easy task.
So I got her parked so that I can get in the side door and can pull my slide out all but 8" before it almost touches the house.
Is it ok to not fully push the slide out all the way and hangout in the trailer, or not advisable to do that?
Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Slide out floors have little/no support until fully extended, so I would say the answer is no if your hanging out on the slide portion.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
koko

Besides the unsupported floor, when a slide is only partially out, if it rains it leaks!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

It is not advisable to walk on the slide floor when retracted. In this position the slide floor does not fully rest on the main floor and consequently is supported mainly by the slide side walls. I'm not sure of the support it would have if the slide were mostly extended - as in your case - but I would think that there could be a small section of the slide floor that is not supported.

I would also check to make sure that the flexible seals at the top and sides are in the correct position and completely "unfolded". Unless the slide is fully extended, it may be that a small portion of the seal is still folded inward resulting in water penetration. On our slide, the slope of the slide out changes during the last bit of travel when being extended. It moves slightly "downward" causing the slide roof to slope in the right direction --- downward - so that any rain runs away from the camper.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest putting the slide out part way out --- too much stress on the floor and potential for leaking.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

As said, unless the slide is fully extended, the floor is not supported and you can damage it or cause the floor to separate from the slide walls if you walk on it or sit on the furniture with the slide only partially extended. The same applies to when the slide is in the travel position.

Also, the slide only seals against the trailer wall in the fully closed or fully open position. Check behind the slide fascia and you'll find the rubber seals that prevent wind and water from entering the RV. There are also the same type of seals along the fascia on the outside of the slide. If you leave the slide partially extended, you open yourself to water leaks, places for mice or other critters to enter your RV easily.

Is there any way you can reposition your RV to get the room to fully extend the slide?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
mpoi

No, there's no more room between the fence and the house to allow anymore room unfortunately.
It's only in the drive way till I can get to the campground.
I should be ok to put the slide out so I can maneuver in it and stock it up though?
Guess hanging out in the driveway isn't going to work. Ehh, life goes on
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
chartrand

Hugh... That's why I love these forums, I never new this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote