Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
iTravel

MOR/ryde Suspension Failure While towing

I have a 2010 Montana 3400RL with MOR/ryde suspension. The driver side failed during travel causing that side to slam down on rear tire and blowing it out. The tow service replaced the tire and shimmed it just so I could get it to the closest parking location. I looked at the other side and is showing signs of dry rot. I want to change the system completely and get rid of this system when I get home. Any ideas from anyone? I have searched the forums but nothing specific on this subject.

Thanks in Advance.
iTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravel View Post
I have a 2010 Montana 3400RL with MOR/ryde suspension. The driver side failed during travel causing that side to slam down on rear tire and blowing it out. The tow service replaced the tire and shimmed it just so I could get it to the closest parking location. I looked at the other side and is showing signs of dry rot. I want to change the system completely and get rid of this system when I get home. Any ideas from anyone? I have searched the forums but nothing specific on this subject.

Thanks in Advance.
iTravel, Welcome to the forum. If you search our forum for Dexter EZ Flex you will find that others have replaced the stock equalizers for the same reason. Good luck, Hank ....... Example of my install : Can be found here
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTravel View Post

Thanks in Advance.
The MOR/ryde equalizer failed or the shackles? If it was the equalizer, do you have the CRE/3000 or the SRE/4000?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
iTravel

HD Shackles were installed from the factory. The OEM equalizer is not either of the ones mentioned. Just two 4bolt plate with rubber between them. They were the introductory models to Mor/ryde. My RV is 2010 Montana 3400RL. I am looking at the options mentioned above also. Looks like i will be doing some welding under it.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Desert185

Any pics of the failure point?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Javi

Since the trailer I am picking up next Friday has the Mor/Ryde CRE3000 system on it I decided to read the manual as I read your post...

I was happy to see that page 5 of the manual explained the inspection and replacement process... everything wears out eventually..

Hope you get your trailer fixed and back on the road soon...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
mguay

Here's a few threads that come to mind...

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19252

Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Since the trailer I am picking up next Friday has the Mor/Ryde CRE3000 system on it I decided to read the manual as I read your post...

I was happy to see that page 5 of the manual explained the inspection and replacement process... everything wears out eventually..

I did the same thing and plan to keep an eye on the equalizer as time goes by. In the meantime, I'm installing a wet bolt kit and (probably) Maxxis tires on it next month. Still considering Sailun LRG's, but the LRE's still provide an adequate load margin for my SRX along with a record of reliability.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
iTravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Any pics of the failure point?
Will post tomorrow. Its too dark outside to take.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
iTravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

Just wish I could have worn it out. Less than 1000 miles on it. Dry rot I guess.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
RdRmr

iTravel,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I replaced my Equa-Flex system by Lippert with the E-Z Flex system from Dexter with wet bolts. Both units were cracked. It's been a couple years now, no issues so far. Called Lippert at the time but received no help because my unit was out of warranty by one month. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
fred1609

We also replaced ours with a wet bolt system and was I surprised to see how worn the nylon bushings were on the OE unit....Guess they install the bare minimum to get the rig out the door.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
MarkS

Morryde is not EqualFlex. Right?

I have seen lots of threads complaining about EqualFlex. This is the first one on a Morryde failure. The ones linked here seem to be about EqualFlex. How common are Morryde failures?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
Javi

Without bronze bushings and greasable bolts (wet bolt kit) it don't matter what brand of suspension you got... it ain't gonna last long..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
gearhead

It wouldn't be cheap but I think the ideal set-up would be Dexter torsion axles with Dexter Vault spindles. No springs, no equalizers, no worries about bearing lubrication for a long time.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
iTravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
It wouldn't be cheap but I think the ideal set-up would be Dexter torsion axles with Dexter Vault spindles. No springs, no equalizers, no worries about bearing lubrication for a long time.
Well I am still not fixed. Mor/Ryde did not have any in stock so I am having to wait until one is made then they will ship it. According to everyone that looked at it there was no dry rot. Just the rubber releasing from the metal on one side. I will be changing to something else if I can just ever get back on the road. I have a wet bolt kit and heavy duty shackles installed by Montana. A good point is to measure the distance from tire to trailer, frame, etc.. then measure the distance of the rear shackle to the frame. If the rear shackle measurement is greater than the other then you could be in the same situation I am in if the metal releases. Bad design. I will look into the Dexter setup, I will not roll at ease until I get my current system into a dumpster where it belongs.

Tags
mor ryde, mor-ryde, mor/ryde, morryde, moryde