Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Bill & Deb

Gray Water Valve Leaking

We have a brand new 2014 Keystone Laredo 329RE and I decided to do a complete water test before winterizing it. Run on city water, then run on water from fresh water tank.
I noticed that when I ran the water that started to fill the gray water tank that water was coming out even though the valve was closed ( remote cable type).

When I opened the gray water valve a lot more water came out.
Do these valves leak initially then seal over time?

My concern is that if the gray water is leaking is the black water leaking as well.

My dealer is an hour and 45 minutes away and I have finished winterizing the trailer.

I will be heading south to Florida at the end of December and am concerned that this will be an issue.

I may just get a "Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve" and deal
with it in the spring.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Not sure if you're aware that you have two gray water valves, one for the shower/sink and one for the kitchen. In your description of what happened, you didn't mention if the "other valve" was also closed.

To answer your question, NO the valves don't "initially leak" and then "seal better after use." They either "leak" or they "don't leak"

I'd check to make sure all the valves are closed completely, then redo your test. It really sounds like one valve just wasn't completely closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
grampscamper

We just purchased a 2014 Laredo too. Ours doesn't leak. Yours shouldn't either. I would use the twist on valve until you can get to the dealer. You may find other little things that will need to be fixed if you wait. I would leave it closed in addition to the twist on.
John may be correct. It is possible you have two & one is partially open. When we picked ours up and used it the first time the grey valve for the kitchen was left open. Look along the frame near the axles to see if you can spot another valve.
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
sdetweil

My new 2013 Keystone Alpine had a large dump of grey water on opening the drain for the first time. I bought a new slide valve to add, as this seems to happen to nearly everyone..
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Bill & Deb

Thanks all for your input. I just picked up the Twist-On Waste Valve and when I went to install it some plumbing anti freeze came out. Any how it's on and I have notified the dealer that I will be visiting them in the spring.

Bill
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not sure if you're aware that you have two gray water valves, one for the shower/sink and one for the kitchen. In your description of what happened, you didn't mention if the "other valve" was also closed.

To answer your question, NO the valves don't "initially leak" and then "seal better after use." They either "leak" or they "don't leak"

I'd check to make sure all the valves are closed completely, then redo your test. It really sounds like one valve just wasn't completely closed.

John

Your answer "may" have been correct. I was running a cable under my RV for my rear view camera and low and behold I found this waste valve under the trailer between the two rear slides. It is not visible from the outside. "It was open ! " This may explain everything. I called the dealer and was told that this trailer does have 2 grey water tanks. This was confirmed by the two grey water sensors on the wall monitor. Unfortunately the trailer is now winterized and I will not be able to test it till January down south.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill & Deb,

You never said whether your valves leaked once you got to Florida. Was the rear valve being open the culprit?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Mountainbound

I did the same thing! Our first outing the sink water came rushing out of the grey tank. I saw a blank where a valve handle was supposed to in the compartment where we hook up everything so I went exploring and I found a small sticker in between the two slides and there it was underneath. The dump valve in the open position! I found out later that earlier Alpines had to dump out in two places so this was a lot better than hooking up a dump hose twice.
With this being said, I do have a problem when I dump the black tank. The flow starts out like normal the slows way down at about half full. I think the drain out of the tank does not have enough slope. The next time we get a chance I am going to have my Wife hold the foot pedal down too see if its a venting problem.
Mountainbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 AM   #9
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bill & Deb,

You never said whether your valves leaked once you got to Florida. Was the rear valve being open the culprit?
The answer is that the tanks had never leaked. It was as Mountainbound commented on. The kitchen Gray water release valve had been hidden. While down here in Florida, I have had no problems and the valves worked flawlessly. While on permanent sewage connection (as a snowbird) I leave the kitchen Gray valve open continuously, along with the bathroom Gray and the black is closed. When the black needs emptying, I close the bathroom Gray only for a day or so or at least a shower. I have put a "Y"valve on my water feed so I can feed water to the sewage tank (with a short hose) as I drain the black tank. I leave water running till sewage is almost clear. Then I open Gray valve to clean hose. If you don't have a clear elbow on your sewage output, its well worth it. I also use my sewage water feed to add about a couple of gallons to blackwater tank. This helps prevents toilet paper from clogging the tank.

Pictures available on request.

Bill
Old 03-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill & Deb,

Glad to hear that there wasn't anything wrong with your valves. It sounds like you've got things under control as you adopt a flushing routine. If you start smelling any "black tank" odor in your kitchen sink, you may want to close the gray tank valve when dumping. On some trailers there's not enough angle and when dumping, some of the black tank effluent can creep along the gray tank drain line and enter the gray tank. On many RV's it's not a problem, but.....

Enjoy Florida, sooner or later we'll get the pole barn open and we'll be joining you in warmer weather as we head south to avoid the "muddy thaw". Hopefully to return to nice green grass and blooming tulips....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS