Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
gwh6

Pin weight

I have a 2011 327 RES fifth wheel. The unloaded weight is listed as 10,100 lbs. with a gross weight of 11,900 lbs. I weighted the unit loaded by itself and it was 11,400 lbs. I am towing it with a 2009 Dodge ram 2500, with a 6.7 Cummins that has a towing max of 12,900 lbs. I have had no problems with the towing but during a recent conversation I was told that the state police were starting to crack down on pick ups towing more than they should and it was pin weight they were checking. Does anyone now how to find out how much pin weight you have?
gwh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Javi

Get CAT scale weights with the trailer attached, then unhook and re-weigh truck; difference in weight of truck axles is the pin weight.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
therink

Take it to a CAT or other certified scale and weigh truck both unhooked and hooked to trailer. By doing this you will be able to confirm the actual pin weight. You will want to don't his with the fiver and truck loaded for camping.

My fiver (similar to yours) was scaled loaded weighing 12,280 with a 2400 lb pin weight. If loaded properly Normal pin weight is around 20% of trailer weight.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh6 View Post
I have a 2011 327 RES fifth wheel. The unloaded weight is listed as 10,100 lbs. with a gross weight of 11,900 lbs. I weighted the unit loaded by itself and it was 11,400 lbs. I am towing it with a 2009 Dodge ram 2500, with a 6.7 Cummins that has a towing max of 12,900 lbs. I have had no problems with the towing but during a recent conversation I was told that the state police were starting to crack down on pick ups towing more than they should and it was pin weight they were checking. Does anyone now how to find out how much pin weight you have?
use this weighing procedure
5th wheel weighing
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Yes; you should know your pin weight but is the state police issue an internet rumor your friend picked up?

What you cannot exceed on your vehicle are the axle weights, tire loading and the gross combined vehicle weights. For a 2009, 2500HD Ram truck these can vary depending on differential gearing and style of the truck SB, LB, Mega Cab and so forth.

I will use just one example to show you what the weights are for a Quad Cab 4X4 3:73 Diff, SB truck. The GCVW is 20,000 LBS the front axle gross axle weight is 5,200 LBS and the rear axle is 6,000 LBS with a max trailer weight of 12,950 lbs. Your truck should have a weight placard on the B pillar of the door frame or it might be on the driver’s door. The tire loading is on the sidewall of the tire. Also you should be using LT tires and not P-metric tires since P-metric do not carry the same weight capacity as LT tires.

As long as you don’t exceed the gross weights of your truck and tires you should be good to go and have the correct license plates on the truck. I think what the Dot personnel look for in commercial used pickup trucks towing campers to and from the manufacture and the RV dealers are the over loaded conditions at the scale house. This is where they will crack down on misuse of a pickup truck when towing. Axle’s and tire weights and not the king pin weights as these can vary day to day as the trailer weights will change upon use. IE carrying water and not carrying water will change the king pin weight.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
sdetweil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
Yes; you should know your pin weight but is the state police issue an internet rumor your friend picked up?

What you cannot exceed on your vehicle are the axle weights, tire loading and the gross combined vehicle weights. For a 2009, 2500HD Ram truck these can vary depending on differential gearing and style of the truck SB, LB, Mega Cab and so forth.

I will use just one example to show you what the weights are for a Quad Cab 4X4 3:73 Diff, SB truck. The GCVW is 20,000 LBS the front axle gross axle weight is 5,200 LBS and the rear axle is 6,000 LBS with a max trailer weight of 12,950 lbs. Your truck should have a weight placard on the B pillar of the door frame or it might be on the driver’s door. The tire loading is on the sidewall of the tire. Also you should be using LT tires and not P-metric tires since P-metric do not carry the same weight capacity as LT tires.

As long as you don’t exceed the gross weights of your truck and tires you should be good to go and have the correct license plates on the truck. I think what the Dot personnel look for in commercial used pickup trucks towing campers to and from the manufacture and the RV dealers are the over loaded conditions at the scale house. This is where they will crack down on misuse of a pickup truck when towing. Axle’s and tire weights and not the king pin weights as these can vary day to day as the trailer weights will change upon use. IE carrying water and not carrying water will change the king pin weight.

Jim W.
and short of taking you to a weigh station (are any of those open anymore?!) what is the officer going to do? guess? he has no scales to measure you with.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
and short of taking you to a weigh station (are any of those open anymore?!) what is the officer going to do? guess? he has no scales to measure you with.
The weight guys carry single axle drive on scales
Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
gwh6

What I have is a quad cab 4 x 4, sb, 3.73 diff. The rear axel max weight is 6010. What I was looking for was how to determine how much weight I do have on the rear axel when loaded.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
sdetweil

Quote:
What I have is a quad cab 4 x 4, sb, 3.73 diff. The rear axel max weight is 6010. What I was looking for was how to determine how much weight I do have on the rear axel when loaded.
only way to know is the scales. $8-$10.. get the facts
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
EricLynnAllison

I didn't realize how easy is to get my RV weighed at a truck stop. Only $10. at Cat Scales. If you want to learn how easy it is, see "catscale.com" and they have a video on how to do it.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
diugo
Permanent User Ban

In Oregon, the highway weigh stations leave their scales on when they are closed. So it's quick and easy to get the weights of all axles completely free of charge. And with a little clever maneuvering, you can even get individual wheel weights---no need to pay A Weigh We Go (now RVSEF) $60 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130818-00022.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	4110  
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
a1albert

If your State is like Oregon or Washington, just roll into the scales on the highway if the sign says closed and weigh there. I check my weights every once in a while at the scales to see how things are looking.

Albert
Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
gwh6

Smile pin weight

Thanks everybody for your info, I will get the weight next trip out and see where I am at.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Pmedic4

Carrying scales around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The weight guys carry single axle drive on scales
Here in farm country, they use the portable single axle scales to weigh during harvest. While the local Mom and Pop farmers complain about it, they generally are looking to hit the commercial truckers loaded to over 80,000 pounds from field to elevator. Many of the small farmers also don't want to pay for the higher classifications of plates, and usually it's not the State Police, but the DMV, and regardless of who is checking, they can't discriminate and must weigh every truck/Combo.

Here, farmers are exempt from CDL, but not GVWR on their personal drivers license. Of course, the RV's might hit one of these weight traps too during harvest season - and they look at look all pertinent Rules of the Road when they stop you, your drivers license class, along with the GVWR of your tow vehicle, and the weight of your trailer, all lights and operational and safety equipment, etc.
I'e posted about it before, and I' continually surprised how many RV'ers in Illinois think they are exempt from GVWR and trailer weight classifications. Talking to my State Police friends, they even say there is some confusion about the rules too by even them - the best part, is they say they usually just wave the RV'er past the scales.

BTW - they usually have the DMV weight crew, and a State Police officer assigned with them.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
theeyres

Sounds like another of those internet rumors. If you are fine to go, then go. Don't worry about it. No police are going to see you traveling down the road and stop you because he/she thinks you might be over pin weight! There is plenty of advice how to get it all weighed but why... Just enjoy your trip.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Ken / Claudia

In Oregon the state police can and do request you to go the the scales to be checked if within 5 miles of a scale and believe your over weight. I used the law many times, never on a RV and never knew it to happen to a RV. I also carried scales(2) for awhile. The main problem is work trucks from 10,000 to 25,000 lbs with passenger car plates. Guys with loads of wood in 1/2 tons nearly dragging their hitchs on the road. There was no interest in RVs until a major crash. Than all vehicles get safety,weight etc. checks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Sounds like another of those internet rumors. If you are fine to go, then go. Don't worry about it. No police are going to see you traveling down the road and stop you because he/she thinks you might be over pin weight! There is plenty of advice how to get it all weighed but why... Just enjoy your trip.
Why??? So you KNOW whether you are overweight or not. Guessing hitch weight or rig weight is one of the easiest ways to get yourself into an "unknown" status. Driving across a CAT scale and paying $11.50 or finding a government scale at a weight station is simple, painless and gives you the "truth" about what you weigh.

So, why do it? is simply answered with: "Because it's each owner/operator's responsibility to know the status of vehicles they are putting on the highway with other innocent (and unsuspecting) drivers who depend on personal integrity and responsibility of others to help maintain public safety.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

JRTJH, well stated. As RVers I frimly believe we have that responsiablity to know what we weight. For everyones safe travels on the roadways.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote