Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Scorn

Electric Cord Question?

My camper electric cord is 25ft but won't reach my wall in the garage. I have the adapter but it still won't reach can I hook the end with the adaper into an orange (extension cord) to reach the wall?

Thanks
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The color of the cord has nothing to do with its capacity. Depending on what you plan to use while plugged in this way and what outlet is available on your garage use a cord as short as possible with 12 gauge wire. This should be good for everything but A/C or water heater. Extension cords are available for 30amp and 50 amp also if you have the outlet available.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Roller4Tan

It'd be okay to just keep your battery charged, fridge cool and a few lites.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Scorn,

You didn't say whether the garage outlet is a 30Amp outlet that you had put in for the RV or if it is a standard 20 or 15 Amp outlet. If it's a 30 Amp outlet, you can get a 30 Amp extension cord and use your RV as if you were in a campground. But, if the outlet you're trying to plug into is a conventional "house outlet" then you'll need at least a 12 guage extension cord and an adapter to convert from the "dryer type" fitting to the "conventional" fitting. If you do plug into a conventional outlet, then the advice you've received above is correct. Turning on your A/C, water heater, microwave or other "heavy use" appliance (like a small electric heater) will draw down your voltage and can damage or destroy your appliances that are in use.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Scorn

Battery Charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
It'd be okay to just keep your battery charged, fridge cool and a few lites.
Thanks for your answer. I just want to keep the battery charged an also open the slide.

Will this be alright?

Thanks
Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
labs4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorn View Post
Thanks for your answer. I just want to keep the battery charged an also open the slide.

Will this be alright?

Thanks
Yes sir. No problem
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
gepaine

Choosing and Using Extension Cords

Here is a very good reference for choosing and using extension cords.:

http://home.mchsi.com/~gweidner/extension-cords.pdf

The table on the last page is especially useful because it includes the expected voltage drop for a given length of a given wire gauge with a given current flow. The author recommends that you limit the voltage drop to 5% which in the case of a 120-volt feed amounts to 6 volts. I think as long as you observe this limitation, you shouldn't have to worry about damaging electric and electronic equipment in your RV.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out you can use a somewhat long extension cord and still be within the 5% limit. For example, you can be using a 75-foot, 12 gauge extension cord drawing 20 amps and the voltage drop will be about 4.8%.

One other thing to keep in mind is the construction of the extension cord. I find that all 12 gauge pre-built extension cords at Home Depot are only rated to carry 15 amps instead of 20 or 25. According to the sales guy, this is because of the coatings and coverings that enclose the 12 gauge wire. I think you might have to go to an electrical supply house or online to find a pre-built extension cord that is rated for 20 amps.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

They are rated for 15 amps because they have 15 amp plugs on them. A 20 amp plug is a different configuration than most of the outlets in your home.

15 amp receptacle ......... 20 amp plug ... As mentioned before, use the shortest 12 gauge cord that will reach to avoid voltage drop.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
gepaine

HankPage,

Didn't know that.

Serves me right for believing a Home Depot clerk!

Thanks for the info.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote