Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
cvizgo

Noisy Converter

On our maiden voyage of the year my wife and I have noticed a noise coming from a converter. If I were to describe the noise it sounds like a very high pitch squeal. Almost like a small computer fan blade is hitting the side of its case. I've opened the converter box, neither of the fans are running, no fuses are blown, it looks as if all of the resistors and capacitors are good. Nothing is emitting any un-normal heat. The noise is coming from the board but I can't tell exactly where? We did notice that if we use a power in the camper it goes off. So if we use the light in the bathroom it goes off. If we use a light in the kitchen it goes off. When the heat kicked on at night it would kick off. So essentially any time power was being used the noise goes away.
2011 Keystone Passport 3050
cvizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
SlowPoke

Definitely sounds like a circuitry issue, capacitors can look fine and still be faulty, and can oscillate at low power causing the squealing noise, until a load causes the oscillation to go away.I have an inverter with bad caps that does the same thing at low 12v input. I would say it's not a "User serviceable" situation and would think a new converter would be the answer.

Maybe someone else here has had that issue and can lend you some better solution!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
cvizgo

I'm currently plugged into the 30amp service here. Could there potentially be bad power here? I have a 50amp cord that I could connect to see if it goes away? Maybe their 30 amp service here is struggling a little?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Paddler

My converter sing since it was new. I silenced the singing by tightening all the wire connections on the converter PC board. If memory serves me correctly it required a couple allen wrenches. Naturally the rig was not connected to external power.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvizgo View Post
I'm currently plugged into the 30amp service here. Could there potentially be bad power here? I have a 50amp cord that I could connect to see if it goes away? Maybe their 30 amp service here is struggling a little?
That's something that we've consistently recommended to folks here. The little plug-in testers with three lights on them are inexpensive and will quickly tell you if there a wiring problem with your source. You'd still need a voltmeter to verify what the voltage is at any given moment. That way, you're much more in the driver's seat concerning what power you hook up to at any given location.

I've whipped out my three light tester and immediately verified that a power post in a CG was miswired. The CG owner started to argue with me until I told him that he could either walk down to the campsite and see for himself or he could accept my word that there was problem. Either way, I wasn't parking my trailer there and using his power post.

Paddler's recommendation regarding verifying the tightness of all connections in the convertor is a good one. We've had plenty of reports of loose connections in the trailer's power distribution panel (which is part of the convertor installation) from owners of new trailers as well. Disconnect from the CG's power post and wait an hour or more to let the capacitors in the converter discharge themselves. Then drop the panels and have at it. I'll bet you find at least one loose one in there. If there is a loose connection, be alert for wires that have slipped out from where they belong.

Here's a pic of the inside of a typical RV power panel:

Here's a pic showing both the power distribution section and the convertor below it:

The AC is on the left in the area where the circuit breakers and the 12vdc is on the right with all the colored fuses in a vertical row. AC is easily disabled by unplugging the shore line. Disabling the DC requires that you disconnect the batteries in some way. In your case, disregard the 12vdc for now and concentrate on the AC because that is likely where your problem is located. Check all the connections on the buss bars and on the circuit breakers. If anything seems loose, tighten it up.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
SlowPoke

Quote:
That's something that we've consistently recommended to folks here. The little plug-in testers with three lights on them are inexpensive and will quickly tell you if there a wiring problem with your source. You'd still need a voltmeter to verify what the voltage is at any given moment. That way, you're much more in the driver's seat concerning what power you hook up to at any given location.
I agree, check your AC coming in, sheez, should've been my first advice rather than jumping to the conclusion of the converter. I tend to assume that was already checked, but sometimes one may not think to check it first. If you read between the lines on my reply, you can gather I was thinking low power, but just didn't say it straight out...oops!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
cvizgo

Being the maiden voyage there are some things we forget...
I just ran out and checked the wiring and voltage on the post and both are good. It's wired correctly and the voltage is in then high end of the green. I keep the tester and volt meter in my toolbox next to my level as part of my site checks I go over when I arrive, this time... I forgot.

Looks like when I get home I'll unplug the batteries to error on the safe side, let the board/capacitors run out of juice and go over all the connections. I can't thank you guys enough for the help.