Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Nimbus

My new Cougar died

Batteries that is. I parked our new TT about a month ago & when I got it out of storage to do a few things including wash it...there was no battery power. The last time we used it we traveled several hundred miles on the final day of our journey with the batteries hooked to the truck as usual. Can you drive so much you overcharge the batteries?

I had the master battery switch off while in storage so in theory nothing should have drained the batteries. I hooked a battery charger to one of the two batteries & was able to open the slide for a mattress change. When I unhooked it five hours later from the truck & charger it was "deader than a door nail".

It's still under warranty & so are the two Interstate RV batteries so I plan on calling the dealer in the morning. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
x96mnn

This is strange.

I could see a bad battery, I mean the best manufactures in the world still produce 3 defective products per million produced but for you to get two on your trailer is odd. That really makes it seem like something is hooked up wrong.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

Check to see if the battery disconnect is properly wired. My bet is it's not and the parasitic load killed it.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Nimbus

We took the TT to our dealer on Thursday & they wanted us to leave the trailer there for four days so they could fully charge the RV batteries! I told them that would have been nice to know beforehand since we had to pull it 90 miles to get there & had a trip planned afterwards. Since we were fully loaded for a four day trip & would be parked at an RV park with full hookups & wouldn't really need the batteries we took our trip & left the trailer there this afternoon on our way home.

A tech looked at the trailer for about 30 minutes before we left & said one of our batteries appeared to be bad & could be the problem. BTW, when we got back from camping the batteries showed a full charge so it will be interesting to see what they find.

While there, we decided to have them install two Maxxair covers for our overheads & a Fan-Tastic fan over our bed. We also will have them install a slide cover over our slide-out. We felt the $900 for the above items would be worth it. This RV thing is new to me but it's begining to feel like my motorcycling...the bike always NEEDS something. Not to mention my boat!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Nimbus-
First, it doesn't take 4 days to charge a battery using proper battery charging equipment. If your dealer needs 4 days to charge a battery, then I would look elsewhere for any future service and repairs. In addition, it wouldn't take long to determine if the battery was able to accept and hold a charge and needed replacing.
There are some items in your RV that require a battery before they will operate properly. The fridge, for example, requires a 12v supply to function as well as your slide and break away switch on your hitch.
I think you will be happy with the Fantastic Fan and the slide topper - two worthwhile additions.
Let us know how you made out with the batteries.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Nimbus

Thanks Festus! Since I've been in the machinery business (John Deere) for 30 years I called B.S. too & told them they needed to invest in some modern equipment if it takes them four days to determine that a battery is bad.

But...I did leave my trailer there to go ahead & play thier game.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Murray0512

Think you will enjoy your investment on the extras. I have them and found out the toppers on the slides actually helps the cooling. Sorry about the battery .
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
lalamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Check to see if the battery disconnect is properly wired. My bet is it's not and the parasitic load killed it.
WE too have battery issues. We are parked at a full hookup site. We purchased our 2004 Sprinter used. When we leave it plugged in to the electric at the RV site, we come back to NO power and empty batteries. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
lalamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalamo View Post
WE too have battery issues. We are parked at a full hookup site. We purchased our 2004 Sprinter used. When we leave it plugged in to the electric at the RV site, we come back to NO power and empty batteries. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
You have me on that one, I am not a battery expert. The guys who are boondockers are the best to consult on batteries.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Bob Landry

Even new batteries can fail and Interstate batteries aren't noted for their reliability. The usual mode of failure is a shorted cell, and if they are hardwired in parallel, a bad battery can take quickly take out a good one. If you want to do it yourself, the batteries need an overnight charge, then leave them disconnected to "rest" for24 hours. If you don't let them rest, you'll measure a residual/surface charge and that won't tell you anything. Harbor Freight sells a load tester for around $12 last time I looked. It's a worthwhile investment if you are prone to battery issues. Another solution is battery isolator diodes, but I'm not a fan of them. If you use them, the charging sensor for the batteries has to be on the battery side of the isolator. Otherwise, your batteries will be chronically undercharged because of the voltage drop across the diodes.
I also agree that you should look for another shop if they tell you it takes 4 days to charge a battery. A three stage charger will charge one overnight.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Bugle Boy

Greetings,

I just joined this forum today. We ordered a new Cougar 31RKS and it is due to be delivered the 2nd week in May.

We are trading in our 2006 Sunline 276SR. THe Sunline had a slide topper and we had to replace it after spending 18 months in New Mexico working. I consider that normal as the slide was out full time and the sun and wind took its toll on the vinyl. I replaced it myself. It took only a couple hours.

I want slide toppers on the new Cougar but the salesman keeps trying to talk me out of it. What is under the skin of the slideout that will permit the topper brackets to be securely screwed to? Is additional blocking required? Same question for installing the rail to the side of the trailer.

It is not good to let batteries sit idle for extended time. You should keep the trailer plugged in or have a battery tender on them. My Galaxie sits all winter and I have a tender on it all the time.

Paul " Bugle Boy" Hobbs
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Our purchase was last Nov in Oregon and I asked about a slide topper and got the same answer as you. I had one one a Artic Fox for 10 years and liked it keeping pine cones and needles off the slide. It was only 8 ft. and never caused any problems. I know that the longer slide toppers on the AF forum talked about putting a beach ball on top of the slide out to keep the topper from pooling or ripping from water. I say that if you really one get one. Since I do not have one I decided to bring a broom and ladder when camping to clean the slide top before retracking limbs, cones etc into the wall. The only thing I reallly should have added was a ladder attached to the trailer when I purchased it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalamo View Post
If your batteries are '04 that is your problem. If you are replacing, both must be new and identical at the same time. ...... If your batteries are good you need to check the output of you converter.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote