Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
stubones

new to me RP3612 Raptor Owner

Hey people!

I bought a 2005 Keystone Raptor 3612 toy hauler and am working to get it ready to camp... Of all I found on the market, many newer ones were more worn than the 2005 I found, so I think I got a good deal.

But the front A/C died and I'm replacing it with a Furrion A/C unit when it arrives. The center A/C couldn't keep up with Florida heat, so I checked the filters and found them clogged. I cleaned them and then noticed the Air from the cold side was looping around to the return side of the A/C so I sealed off the gap with heavy duty duct tape and the A/C unit is doing lots better.

If I like how the Furrion unit does, I'll add another for the garage area, since I'm planning to use that for my shop / office area. The biggest problem is the 2300 lb cargo limitation, so that's an issue.

I'm adding a washer / dryer connection in the garage area as well.

I don't like how the power outlets are in the most unlikely places and quite scarce. I have added a few extra outlets around the galley with USB ports built in, so you don't tie up an outlet with a charger transformer.

I added a Yeacomm LTE gateway to the RV with a Mint Moble SIM card for my phone & internet. I got the unlimited plan ($360 annually) and this gives me both wired and wifi internet throughout the RV, as well as a wired phone and separate number, as long as T-Mobile (Mint's primary carrier) is available where the RV is going to be. So far the uplink / downlink speeds are similar to DSL. The gateway was $100 from amazon so that's a one-time cost.
stubones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new to you Trailer. You should use HVAC (aluminum) tape as it won’t deteriorate like duct tape. Other than that post pics of your upgrades as you do them. I just had formal training from Lippert on the Furrion A/C’s and I was impressed. You’ll like another one in the garage.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:26 PM   #3
stubones

Good to know...
I just loaned my aluminum tape roll to a neighbor to do a A/C pipe wrap on his A/C so I used underside belly tape instead...

If I like the Furrion that well, the Coleman Mach A/C unit in the Galley area will get replaced with a 1500 BTU unit with a wall thermostat.

I ordered the first Furrion from Etrailer.com where it said In Stock ready to ship, then they said "We'll ship it on the 21st..." (ordered on the 13th.)

I chose to use the Furrion A/C unit because of the twin motors and more quiet than the Mach unit as well as the soft start kit built-in.

Do you know about Lippert garage door springs? Mine has a cracked spring and the PDF i found in the web showed that they recommend taking the back door off to replace the springs. It seems with the tight clamp that the locks have in the closed position, that the door won't go far if I drive the hinge pin out and replace the springs. I do know to replace them all... since they are all the same age, and if one breaks, then all of them are at risk...

There appears to be a place for another one or two springs on the outer hinges. Do you think I can replace them all and add another one or two and make the back door weight lighter?
Old 05-20-2022, 03:50 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
jim1

Hey chuckster57 what do you think about the quality of the Furrion A/C units are they well built and reliable? Or are they kinda like some of their other stuff, pretty to look at but not practical? Like the Batwing antenna that tends to fly away when it wants to. I had 2 replaced and the 3rd one removed and replaced with a Wingard on a recall. Thanks for your help and advice and expertise on this forum it's very helpful.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hey chuckster57 what do you think about the quality of the Furrion A/C units are they well built and reliable? Or are they kinda like some of their other stuff, pretty to look at but not practical? Like the Batwing antenna that tends to fly away when it wants to. I had 2 replaced and the 3rd one removed and replaced with a Wingard on a recall. Thanks for your help and advice and expertise on this forum it's very helpful.
I haven’t had to service any yet so I can’t say one way or the other. Lippert bought Furrion so the quality has probably improved. Rumor has it Lippert bought Dometic AC line so the furrion AC may end up being the only replacement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
jim1

Thanks, good info.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #8
stubones

Yeacomm update:
Mint Mobile and T-mobile no longer support the Yeacomm gateway.
I switched to T-Mobile's 5G gateway and am impressed with the bandwidth I'm getting. This is faster than some large corps. I have been involved with.
Costs $50 a month (if you auto-pay, $55 if not) and the lowest bandwidth I've gotten was 60 mbps downloads.

Tags
raptor