Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #1
RedWolf

Extended Camping Season?

What does this mean exactly? This is my first year with my Passport SL 189RB. Do I need to winterize or can I use the trailer in the winter? I'm in Virginia.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

It is mostly about marketing.

If you ever experience temperatures below freezing, it is advisable to winterize. All this feature gives you is an enclosed underbelly (which they all are) and a 2” diameter duct into the belly from the gas furnace (no heat in the belly to keep the pipes warm unless the furnace is running). There is no extra insulation and there are no tank heating pads. It is basically a three-season camper depending where you live. Up here in New Hampshire, we camp from mid-April to mid-October with no issues.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Can you "use" the trailer in the winter? Depends on what kind of use IMO. When I first got into full size RVs (1985) I used mine for work. No heated underbelly, no PEX etc. I had a few days of frozen water hose until I wrapped it with heater tape. I had frozen LP tanks until I wrapped them with heater tape. Once I figured out what would freeze (never had frozen water lines in/under the trailer) and figured out how to keep them warm I had no problems...but I ran through a LOT of propane keeping the furnace running and heating things. I was never in a spot more than a couple of weeks so no underpinning etc.

Temps I camped in ran from normal TX winter temps of temps of 30-32 degrees (overnite) to below zero for several days in a row (frozen LP tanks). I had a grand time and dealt with it. Nothing bad happened and nothing broke. I was however much younger and was not daunted by any kind of failure. If I was younger I would not hesitate if the proper precautions were taken. I never dreamed of winterizing every trip, move etc......but I was younger.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
travelin texans

It means exactly what that label says, you can extend camping til just about 30 degrees, then you'd better winterize or head further south.
Extended Camping Season, Polar, 4 season, Artic, Half Ton Towable are all cute sales gimmicks to help salespersons that have never used, towed or slept a night in a rv. I'd be willing to bet 4 of 5 rv salespersons couldn't tell you what any of those useless terms actually consisted of, when in your case it tells exactly ALL that it consists of right on the label.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote