Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
Dannyrodda

Question Solar Flex 400i Inverter shutting off

Hello,

I am new to the forum and recently bought a Cougar 29RLKWE with the Solar flex 400i. The inverter is a Xantrex Freedom X Sine Wave 2000-watt model supported by two 6-volt lead/acid batteries.

I've been doing testing to try and understand how this system works. The inverter keeps shutting off overnight even when the batteries are above 12.5 volts.

I unplugged the TV's and outside fridge and only run a couple of the overhead LED lights and by morning the inverter is off.

Does anyone know where I can look to find basic information on how this system works? I've looked at the inverter settings and it set to shut down at 10.5 volts of battery.

Everything else seems to be okay and the batteries will charge by solar to the float state.

Sorry I'm such a newbie at the solar business.
Dannyrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:07 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

What batteries are installed? Are the inverter leads on separate batteries or both on one? Is the solar leads on opposite batteries?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:46 PM   #3
Essvar

How long are you leaving the inverter running? It looks like the factory shutdown is set for 25 hours. Pg6 of the manual.

https://xantrex.com/library/inverter...guide-english/

I'd check this setting to make sure it hasn't been changed. Description of power save is on page 57 and how to change it under setting, pg 52.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:38 AM   #4
Dannyrodda

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll go out today and see how the system is connected. And get back to you.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #5
Dannyrodda

Hi Essvar, I've checked all the settings but that one. I have been wondering why the 25 hrs and if a person can set that longer without damaging the batteries. Is the 25 hrs idle time or continuous use or just a flat 25 hrs. Nothing shuts off when i'm on shore power.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #6
jasin1

is it definitely the freedom 4000? because that looks like it only comes in a freedom ex 4000 model which is a inverter/ charger…i found this as far as light loads ..it will automatically turn off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6372DB4E-4673-4686-97F6-06C759EDB37D.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	41633  
Old 09-17-2022, 05:56 AM   #7
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrodda View Post
Hi Essvar, I've checked all the settings but that one. I have been wondering why the 25 hrs and if a person can set that longer without damaging the batteries. Is the 25 hrs idle time or continuous use or just a flat 25 hrs. Nothing shuts off when i'm on shore power.

Your inverter has an auto-transfer switch so nothing will turn off when you are on shore power. From what I read it looks like its idle time when the inverter has a load of less than 40w. Which is what you are describing in your night time scenario. (LED lights are 12v so not using the inverter at all)
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #8
Dannyrodda

Hi Jasin1. Thanks for the information. I did make a mistake. The inverter is a Xantrex Freedom X 2000 Sine Wave.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #9
Dannyrodda

What you've said makes perfect sense. Going on our first dry camp in a couple of weekends. I'll do some testing using a higher load overnight. Sounds like a balance between using too much power and draining the batteries and using too little, which either one will shut off the inverter. I have two 6-volt lead acid batteries so that should be sufficient to get through 1 night. Seems that by finding that balance and if the sun is shining I should have perpetual power.

I use a CPAP so that should put more load on the inverter. I'm not sure, but it seems I could change the power saving function from 25 hr. setting to off without causing issues.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

With a pair of 6V batteries, there is only one way to hook them up properly to get 12V.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #11
Dannyrodda

Hi Chuckster. I checked my system connections and what I found is.

two 6-volt lead acid batteries

Battery1 positive to battery2 negative post
Battery1 negative to BMI Box

Batter2 positive to BMI box and a cable to the shut-off
Battery2 negative to positive battery1

BMI Box to the Xentrax invertor
Inverter to RV

Then the Victron SmartSolar Charger solar panels to the smart charger and smart charger to the batteries.

Inverter settings are at default. I disconnected from shore power and just turned off the 25 hr power saver timer. After that my apps showed solar providing power and batteries went from float to bulk as I turned on equipment.

Seems like everything is working and most likely I was not drawing enough power so the inverter shut off after 25 hours.

I would include photos but not sure how to do that yet.

Tags
inverter, solar