Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #1
Mcslap13

Hello from Idaho!

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 2021 keystone hideout 38bhd. It's a 40 foot park model and I'm getting it ready to be livable.

I'm a 22yo guy who still lives at home with my mother as rent even in our small town of less than 2000 people can be anywhere from $900-$2000 a month! I'd like to have a bit more of my own space, especially with my girlfriend once we plan to be married. Our family is on 5 acres of land outside city limits in a quite town.

I got the camper at a great price and I've been pulling out the clunky furniture that takes up too much space and is uncomfortable. The bunk beds in the back have also been removed to give extra space.

It's going to be stationary and remain on the property for now, plan is to live in it and save up enough for somw land of our own and be able to move it there till we can afford to build a house. With 2 acres of flat land with absolutely nothing on it running almost $300k its daunting to think about buying land that can't be used at all until a house is built. But having a trailer will allow us to have something to start with.

I still need to have the electrical hookups done and water hookup at the house but it's in a great spot that doesn't get the afternoon sun!

As for a toe vehicle, I don't have one! I drive a prius and since it's going to be stationary I'm not too worried. And all our neighbors have large enough trucks to move it if need be.

My girlfriend and I both are very excited to make it our own and start our future together!
Mcslap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
Camping family

Welcome and wish you the best getting out on your own is great. Sounds like you have a solid plan. Enjoy
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcslap13 View Post
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 2021 keystone hideout 38bhd. It's a 40 foot park model and I'm getting it ready to be livable.

I'm a 22yo guy who still lives at home with my mother as rent even in our small town of less than 2000 people can be anywhere from $900-$2000 a month! I'd like to have a bit more of my own space, especially with my girlfriend once we plan to be married. Our family is on 5 acres of land outside city limits in a quite town.

I got the camper at a great price and I've been pulling out the clunky furniture that takes up too much space and is uncomfortable. The bunk beds in the back have also been removed to give extra space.

It's going to be stationary and remain on the property for now, plan is to live in it and save up enough for somw land of our own and be able to move it there till we can afford to build a house. With 2 acres of flat land with absolutely nothing on it running almost $300k its daunting to think about buying land that can't be used at all until a house is built. But having a trailer will allow us to have something to start with.

I still need to have the electrical hookups done and water hookup at the house but it's in a great spot that doesn't get the afternoon sun!

As for a toe vehicle, I don't have one! I drive a prius and since it's going to be stationary I'm not too worried. And all our neighbors have large enough trucks to move it if need be.

My girlfriend and I both are very excited to make it our own and start our future together!
What about sewer? That could be a daily issue if not connected.
If you do get connected to sewer DO NOT leave the black tank valve open all the time, you WILL have problems by doing so.
The grey tanks should also be closed, but depending on the tank sizes you need/want to leave the shower valve open, closing a couple days before dumping the black, or be draining it every other day depending on your showers.
If connected to a water well for your water source be sure to get a good adjustable water pressure regulator so as not to exceed the plumbing pressure, 50-55 psi is about the max.
Also a good EMS (Electrical Management System), not just a surge protector, to connect to your power source, either hardwired or portable, to protect all the onboard electronics.
Good luck!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
Mcslap13

Still figuring out the septic we arnt that far away from it, and we do have one of those mobile tanka that can be filled then rolled over to it. Its also just as close to go in the house and use those bathrooms and showers. (At least to start out till i can do something more about hookups) And that for a while will be the plan. The well is right next to the camper as well so I can run off that, I will be picking up a regulator for it to be sure the water pressure isn't too much.

And yeah I've seen and read about the tanka needing to be closed until ready to dump since it helps move it all along.

The EMS I do need to look into more, our neighbor is coming tomorrow to take a look at where we want to put it, he's a master electrician and is taking a look in exchange for using our tractor. Any recommendations on a good EMS? Camper is a 50amp hookup.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on the new to you Hideout.

I spent over sixteen years in Idaho as the last ten years of my Air Force career was at Mountain Home AFB. I miss Idaho and loved it there. But I am originally from Georgia and moved back here in 1999.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
Mcslap13

Thank you very much! I'm originally from California but the politics there were in the complete opposite side our views so we came looking for a small farm town life. It's beautiful here but unfortunately prices are crazy high for even small apartments.
We arnt too far from mountain home, just down in Parma.

And thank you for your service!
Old 09-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Still figuring out the septic we arnt that far away from it, and we do have one of those mobile tanka that can be filled then rolled over to it. Its also just as close to go in the house and use those bathrooms and showers. (At least to start out till i can do something more about hookups) And that for a while will be the plan. The well is right next to the camper as well so I can run off that, I will be picking up a regulator for it to be sure the water pressure isn't too much.

And yeah I've seen and read about the tanka needing to be closed until ready to dump since it helps move it all along.

The EMS I do need to look into more, our neighbor is coming tomorrow to take a look at where we want to put it, he's a master electrician and is taking a look in exchange for using our tractor. Any recommendations on a good EMS? Camper is a 50amp hookup.

Congratulations on your new home ! ..i edited my post as it was mostly blah blah blah..unsolicited advice..lol
Old 09-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:

I had Progressive Industries portable EMS for several years. The 1st unit fried due to a faulty pedestal, but PI replaced it free, no questions asked.
There are a couple others that are good units as well, but I have no experience with them.
I might suggest if you plan to use the sewer tote to make up a hose as short as possible to connect the rv to the tote. A 10-15' hose can hold a lot of s### that won't have anywhere to go once the tote is full, BTDT!
If you live out on your own property you might consider using a sewer cap like the one pictured along with a long hose & drain your grey waters around trees or well away from the rv, they're just soapy water. Then you'd only need the tote about once a week for the black.

Name:   download (3).jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  7.4 KB
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:11 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Be sure and put some thought into that septic when the time comes...or maybe before. If you're right next to a well I'm sure there will be some kind of law prohibiting a septic tank/system etc. being anywhere in the vicinity. In NM it was 200' from any water source. Might want to check that out (the separation) before positioning the trailer. Also keep in mind that you want to keep that sewer line run as short as possible with an adequate grade. DS bought a fixed 5th wheel and it had a sewer line (regular sewer pipe) ran about 60'+ across almost flat ground. It had very little grade to it. It took a hundred gallons of water to try to push anything to the sewer inlet (guessing on gallons). Had to go and replumb that line so it would drain.....after it all clogged up and dried.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Mcslap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I had Progressive Industries portable EMS for several years. The 1st unit fried due to a faulty pedestal, but PI replaced it free, no questions asked.
There are a couple others that are good units as well, but I have no experience with them.
I might suggest if you plan to use the sewer tote to make up a hose as short as possible to connect the rv to the tote. A 10-15' hose can hold a lot of s### that won't have anywhere to go once the tote is full, BTDT!
If you live out on your own property you might consider using a sewer cap like the one pictured along with a long hose & drain your grey waters around trees or well away from the rv, they're just soapy water. Then you'd only need the tote about once a week for the black.
Attachment 41484
That progressive one does seem to be the best deal since it has a life time warranty. And I've now now been looking into maceration pumps, our neighbor down the street uses one for his RV that his son and wife live in full time. So I might see what I can do with that. Only issue might come winter but I'll need to see what he does.

The gray could be dumped the way you mentioned, its on 5 acres of owned property outside of city limits so there's a good bit of freedom thankfully.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #11
Mcslap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Be sure and put some thought into that septic when the time comes...or maybe before. If you're right next to a well I'm sure there will be some kind of law prohibiting a septic tank/system etc. being anywhere in the vicinity. In NM it was 200' from any water source. Might want to check that out (the separation) before positioning the trailer. Also keep in mind that you want to keep that sewer line run as short as possible with an adequate grade. DS bought a fixed 5th wheel and it had a sewer line (regular sewer pipe) ran about 60'+ across almost flat ground. It had very little grade to it. It took a hundred gallons of water to try to push anything to the sewer inlet (guessing on gallons). Had to go and replumb that line so it would drain.....after it all clogged up and dried.
I'm currently looking into getting a maceration pump, our neighbor down the street uses that on his son's camper that's been on the property for a few years now. For $200 it would be well worth it I belive.

We do own the property and it's 5 acres outside city limits. So there's a bit of freedom to mess around with, but will definitely check out laws beforehand.

If I can run the maceration pump to a hose I'm not sure if it will work during winter.. so I'll have to see how the neighbors have theirs set up.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I'm currently looking into getting a maceration pump, our neighbor down the street uses that on his son's camper that's been on the property for a few years now. For $200 it would be well worth it I belive.

We do own the property and it's 5 acres outside city limits. So there's a bit of freedom to mess around with, but will definitely check out laws beforehand.

If I can run the maceration pump to a hose I'm not sure if it will work during winter.. so I'll have to see how the neighbors have theirs set up.

Yes be sure and check those regulations. The state will be the one with the environmental quality, water quality etc. boards and laws - and they can make life very expensive for someone if they find you at fault. County might have some as well but they will usually mirror the state laws.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:

My Sis & BIL stayed in their trailer on our space for months. We have water and electricity (30A - their camper was 30A) and used my macerator. It connected to their dump valve and the run was over 200' mostly downhill and it ran into our septic system via a cleanout on the side of my home. We have a 1" heavy duty hose that worked great. I fabbed a 1" hose connection into the cleanout lid (PVC).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+macera...f=nb_sb_noss_2
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #14
Mcslap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My Sis & BIL stayed in their trailer on our space for months. We have water and electricity (30A - their camper was 30A) and used my macerator. It connected to their dump valve and the run was over 200' mostly downhill and it ran into our septic system via a cleanout on the side of my home. We have a 1" heavy duty hose that worked great. I fabbed a 1" hose connection into the cleanout lid (PVC).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+macera...f=nb_sb_noss_2
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing! The well is close and we are looking to get electrical hooked up soon. My only concern with macerator is when winter hits and we get snow.. now sure how to keep it all from freezing over. Our septic is maybe less than 100' away too so not very far
Old 09-05-2022, 05:14 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing! The well is close and we are looking to get electrical hooked up soon. My only concern with macerator is when winter hits and we get snow.. now sure how to keep it all from freezing over. Our septic is maybe less than 100' away too so not very far
You could bury the hose below the freeze line? Dunno; it doesn't get cold long enough here to make that a concern; also guess you could bury a small PVC pipe and to a cleanout or some way into the septic system.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #16
BSandersAZ

Think about your strategy for avoiding pipe and tank freeze. Idaho has a real winter, as you know. Many rigs taut “winterization” but my freezes anytime the temps get below 20f. Also put some thought into sealing your unit. Over time, things will let you down…. Most RVs were not designed for full time living.

Best

Brad
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:51 AM   #17
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.