Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
DanaJan

Do stabilizers help protect leaf springs?

We have a 2018 passport 2400 BH. We have never lowered the stabilizers when the trailer is not in use and are now wondering if the stabilizers being down would keep pressure off the leaf springs and help them avoid untimely maintenance.
DanaJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:34 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Stabilizers are only meant to be tightened enough to reduce rocking. They should not be used to lift weight off of the suspension.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #3
DanaJan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Stabilizers are only meant to be tightened enough to reduce rocking. They should not be used to lift weight off of the suspension.
Thanks flybouy. Though we don't use the stabilizers to lift the trailer, we were curious if having them down would help lighten the load on the springs. Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaJan View Post
Thanks flybouy. Though we don't use the stabilizers to lift the trailer, we were curious if having them down would help lighten the load on the springs. Thoughts?
You can't "lighten the load" unless you're removing weight from the springs. Stabilizers are not built to do that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
DanaJan

Thanks, again
Old 08-20-2022, 05:01 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Every trailer we've had (4 of them), when not in use, the stabilizers have always been down. I don't think I've ever left any of my campers sit for more than a few minutes without them being down, anywhere, always. Why?

Not so much for the suspension; actually never even thought of that. With the stabilizers down, the entire trailer is stable. That means, in wind the trailer is not rocking. All 4 of our campers have been through some very high winds --- more than 60 mph when parked. Jacks down, slides in makes the camper more anchored to the ground. Granted, a strong enough wind in just the right direction can still blow a camper over, with jacks or without. But with the jacks down, the camper is just over-all better protected.

Another reason: With the jacks down, it's another layer of protection against theft of the trailer. If the jacks are down, a thief will have to take the time to raise them up, or .... first ... it will be very difficult to raise the hitch or lower the hitch to get it on the tow vehicle hitch .... if that be a bumper pull, or a fifth wheel. If a thief doesn't retract the jacks, they will drag the ground ... which will get lots and lots of attention, and no thief wants attention.

Third: If you park the camper and then you need to do something with it, or pack it, or prepare it for the next trip, it's already stable. You won't feel like you are on a ship at sea!

I'm sure, with jacks down, it absolutely will not "hurt" the suspension. But I really don't think the suspension will benefit much either. If you want to take weight off the suspension, it's best to jack up the trailer and put blocks under the frame. But ... that's a lot of work!

Trailers are made to sit on the ground. They've been that way for the last million years. Sitting won't hurt anything, with jacks down or with jacks up.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
DanaJan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Every trailer we've had (4 of them), when not in use, the stabilizers have always been down. I don't think I've ever left any of my campers sit for more than a few minutes without them being down, anywhere, always. Why?

Not so much for the suspension; actually never even thought of that. With the stabilizers down, the entire trailer is stable. That means, in wind the trailer is not rocking. All 4 of our campers have been through some very high winds --- more than 60 mph when parked. Jacks down, slides in makes the camper more anchored to the ground. Granted, a strong enough wind in just the right direction can still blow a camper over, with jacks or without. But with the jacks down, the camper is just over-all better protected.

Another reason: With the jacks down, it's another layer of protection against theft of the trailer. If the jacks are down, a thief will have to take the time to raise them up, or .... first ... it will be very difficult to raise the hitch or lower the hitch to get it on the tow vehicle hitch .... if that be a bumper pull, or a fifth wheel. If a thief doesn't retract the jacks, they will drag the ground ... which will get lots and lots of attention, and no thief wants attention.

Third: If you park the camper and then you need to do something with it, or pack it, or prepare it for the next trip, it's already stable. You won't feel like you are on a ship at sea!

I'm sure, with jacks down, it absolutely will not "hurt" the suspension. But I really don't think the suspension will benefit much either. If you want to take weight off the suspension, it's best to jack up the trailer and put blocks under the frame. But ... that's a lot of work!

Trailers are made to sit on the ground. They've been that way for the last million years. Sitting won't hurt anything, with jacks down or with jacks up.
Thank you dutchmensport for such a thorough explanation. It makes a lot sense.