Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2022, 04:50 AM   #1
NH_Bulldog

Trouble on the Road

We are traveling on our last big trip of the season before our daughter goes back to school. At a fuel stop, I checked the wheel temps on the trailer and found one was hot. There was no place at the gas station to get into it so we drove about 15 miles to a roadside park along our route. I got under to jack up the wheel to check the bearings and found this little issue. We limped it another 30 miles to our next destination (here for 5 days). Found a local shop who could do a field service later today and get me home, but it looks like some major work coming up soon. I did find a little play in the bearing on that wheel (serviced at the start of the season), so once the welder is done, I am going to pull the drum and check the brakes and might just as well replace the bearings on that wheel (I keep a full set of pre-packed bearings in my tool box).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE8250B3-4AC2-4551-AE1A-E6A1C06D4128.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	41277  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:26 AM   #2
curtiscapk

Yikes! good catch!!!!!!!!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:34 AM   #3
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We are traveling on our last big trip of the season before our daughter goes back to school. At a fuel stop, I checked the wheel temps on the trailer and found one was hot. There was no place at the gas station to get into it so we drove about 15 miles to a roadside park along our route. I got under to jack up the wheel to check the bearings and found this little issue. We limped it another 30 miles to our next destination (here for 5 days). Found a local shop who could do a field service later today and get me home, but it looks like some major work coming up soon. I did find a little play in the bearing on that wheel (serviced at the start of the season), so once the welder is done, I am going to pull the drum and check the brakes and might just as well replace the bearings on that wheel (I keep a full set of pre-packed bearings in my tool box).
Bummer with the broken spring hanger bracket.l carry two new ones with me in case I cracked one.. haven’t yet in nine years on this Alpine but got the spare parts..

I would also look into adding the beef up brackets on all the spring hangers since you are gonna have a welder do some welding

The brackets can easily be made and welded right on..

Show us some pics of that’s hub and wheel bearing when you pop the hub off ..

I’d be curious to know what brand of bearings and what grease you are using

.. I use only Red & Tacky and still running the Dexter OEM bearings

I didn’t see any grease on the bolt at the spring hanger so assume you have the famous “Never Fail” non wet bolt and bushing

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

The welder just left and he did a great job. He was able to get the hanger back in place pretty easy and did a good weld. No abnormal wear on any of the tires (they are 1 year old GY Endurance).

Once that was done, I pulled the drum and the brake pads fell out onto the ground. Plenty of thickness left, but they came unglued from the shoes.

The bearings are nice and smooth, so I repacked them and reinstalled until I can locate a set of brake shoes. I run Dexter OEM bearings, and hand pack with Red & Tacky.

So I believe that the hot wheel was a result of the brake pads loose inside the drum. Never a good thing, but it did lead me to finding the broken hanger. Thankfully things worked out like they did. My wife has never questioned why I have all these parts and tools, and was very happy when I was able to get everything back in order as quickly as I did.

Once we get home it will be time for an overhaul of the axles and suspension. Replace the damaged hanger, install wet bolts, new brakes all around and repack all the bearings again.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote