Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2022, 10:43 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

If your pump is running 2-3 seconds then only stays off 3-5 seconds you have a fair sized leak you should be able to find. You said you've purged all the air. If it was the toilet that much water could be heard and seen exiting the toilet. If it was elsewhere by not that much water should be evident in the floor or running under the trailer. That assumption is if it was running all the time. If you are shutting it off after each use then the water may not be accumulating that much.

I would first check every connection; under every sink, toilet, drains, water heater, outside shower; behind the walls...everywhere. I've found leaks over the years in/under all of them. If there is nothing there then pull the pump and see what's what.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #22
Jason.rhodes86

Yeah I’m gonna have to look into the pump. The fact that it’ll work fine for a couple hours then cycle randomly makes me think it’s not a leak because if it was, it would continue to cycle the whole time.
Jason.rhodes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:24 AM   #23
rabreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
I find if I go from tank water to city water I get air in system on change. FYI
Likewise. If I've forgotten to switch from "Fill" to "Normal" in the wet bay and I'll get the cycling of the water pump.
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:56 AM   #24
Slipper

I had the same problem. I finally realized that when I’d de-winterised the camper, I hadn’t put new plumbers tape on the water heater anode rod thread, and so a small amount of water was leaking into the water heater compartment. I just removed the anode rod, applied plumbers tape, reinstalled and problem solved. I guess I knew the problem was probably a water leak, the problem was simply locating it.
Slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:33 AM   #25
Pathfinder75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.rhodes86 View Post
Not in city water. Filled the tank on arrival
WHEN Tank FILL VALVE is in the fill position your pump will cycle.on. MUST MOVE VALVE OFF of Fill when not filling tank

Dave, Kathy & Golden Retrievers Tucker & Andi
2017 Montana HC 353RL - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Morryde Stepabove Steps STP-4-30-03H -
Kodiak 8-Lug 13" Premier Disc Brake Conversion Kit
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB - B&W Companion w/OEM Ford puck.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #26
bobnelms

A quick follow-up... why do you typically use the water pump versus shore water???
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:47 AM   #27
Mollyb

Had the same issue once and it was air in the outside shower.
Mollyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:33 AM   #28
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
A quick follow-up... why do you typically use the water pump versus shore water???
I’ll answer this real quick. Many people camp in areas where there isn’t shore water…. State parks, national parks, and the great BLM and other properties. My current camper is now 8 years old and has had full hookups 2 times. Everyone has a preference.

TO THE OP, did you find the problem? If it’s not air(commonly missed is outside shower like mentioned above), check your pump! Mine was “leaking” at the center seal. It had very little water under the pump that was hard to see. I caught it by seeing a couple beads of sweat building up where the two halves of the pump are held together. A little muscle with a screwdriver on the four screws solved my issue. I had roughly the same cycling as you, a couple seconds on every few minutes.
I hope you found issue, get out there and use it.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #29
Jason.rhodes86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlatch View Post
I’ll answer this real quick. Many people camp in areas where there isn’t shore water…. State parks, national parks, and the great BLM and other properties. My current camper is now 8 years old and has had full hookups 2 times. Everyone has a preference.

TO THE OP, did you find the problem? If it’s not air(commonly missed is outside shower like mentioned above), check your pump! Mine was “leaking” at the center seal. It had very little water under the pump that was hard to see. I caught it by seeing a couple beads of sweat building up where the two halves of the pump are held together. A little muscle with a screwdriver on the four screws solved my issue. I had roughly the same cycling as you, a couple seconds on every few minutes.
I hope you found issue, get out there and use it.

I use the water pump because I’m not usually at full hookup site, electric only. So I fill my tank on arrival.

I have not figured out the issue. The thing that makes me think it’s not a leak is because it’ll randomly stop cycling at times for a while. A leak would not fix itself for a couple hours then start leaking again. I have opened all faucets to include outside shower isn’t helped. So I’m likely gonn have to look into the pump itself.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.rhodes86 View Post
I use the water pump because I’m not usually at full hookup site, electric only. So I fill my tank on arrival.

I have not figured out the issue. The thing that makes me think it’s not a leak is because it’ll randomly stop cycling at times for a while. A leak would not fix itself for a couple hours then start leaking again. I have opened all faucets to include outside shower isn’t helped. So I’m likely gonn have to look into the pump itself.
One "non plumbing issue" that you might consider is the electrical connections/battery condition. The pump motor MUST spin at the required RPM to drive the pump diaphragm fast enough to deliver pressure sufficient to activate the pump pressure switch. If the voltage/amperage is just barely at the minimum (caused by corrosion on the connections, loose electrical connections or a bad/discharged battery, etc) the pump may not be able to achieve the pressure adequate to go beyond the "bare minumum"....

I've seen several "run on pumps" that will run under nominal pressure load at full speed, then, as the water pressure builds, the pump doesn't have enough amperage to continue at full speed and the pump starts to "wind down" until it's barely "burping to attain water pressure"... The pressure switch will close, but as that "trace of air in the low point drain or elsewhere" allows the pressure to drop slightly, the pump will "burp again"... Sometimes it will keep doing this on a continual basis.

You might want to check all the electrical connections to the pump, feel the wires, the twist on connectors or the caps on the swedge connectors to see if they're warmer than they should be.

If there's no "plumbing reason for the pump action" it may be an electrical issue.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #31
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
I'll answer too. We do not run water from shore water. We always fill the fresh water tank and pump from there. We've been doing this for over 20 years, 3 travel trailers, and now our Fifth Wheel. Why?

First? And the most important reason, water pressure. when using the on-board water pump, we never have to worry about over pressure, a pressure regulator, or anything like that. We always have consistent water pressure and no threat of over pressure, breaking pipes, or pipe joints.

Second? We did (a long time ago), keep the garden hose hooked up, until one very hot summer day, the garden hose actually exploded.

Third? I have never had a garden hose, (white, green, blue, or black) that did not leak at the connections. Leading water at the connections is such a waste of water. Its one thing having a little leak when filling a tank, or a bucket. But to leave the leave running 24x7 for a several days while hooked up, is just a horrible waste of everything.

Forth? No danger of tripping over garden hoses laying on the ground, campground workers mowing over one, or theft, or even "kids play" when kids (might) mess with your stuff .... being kids, or just being a little on the rotten side! (Kids are kids... and even some adults are just plain cruel).

Fifth? When pumping water from the fresh water tank, we keep track of our water usage, and also helps determine how much water is in the black and gray tanks. Water in, water out, knowing how much you use, and how much you waste is being a responsible camper.

Sixth? If we ever do have a water leak, the water pump will start cycling on and off and we can hear that. If the water pump kicks on and we are not running water ... it gets our attention real, real fast. Sometimes it's a faucet drip, or it might be the water heater drain plug, or even the pressure relief valve on the water heater. But when we hear the pump cycle ... we jump to action immediately! If hooked up to city water, you could easily run 100 gallons of water and flood the underbelly of your camper and never know it.

For all these reasons, we pump from our tank.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #32
skids

All good points Dutchmensport.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #33
Dana Bethany Julia

Pump short cycles

Opened up camper April 25th 22. Took to my dealer for a reca6on a regulator valve. They fix the master bedroom toilet flush valve. Took it home packed it up to drop it off at the campsite. We pumped in fresh water into the tank, went the following weekend and realized the pump was short cycling every 20-30 seconds. I haven't found any leaks around the pump or any valves. We've had to turn off the pump after using it.
Dana Bethany Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #34
blueclaw42

There is also a pressure adjustment screw on Flo-jet pumps. If all the other recommendations don't solve the issue, you can adjust the pressure screw. It worked for me.
blueclaw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #35
Jason.rhodes86

Went in and looked at the pump today. Haven’t taken it out yet but probably do that next to check for debris etc.

I do have a flo jet pump so I will look for the pressure screw. Where is it normally located?
Old 07-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #36
Dana Bethany Julia

Thank you. Where is this screw
Dana Bethany Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Bethany Julia View Post
Thank you. Where is this screw
It's located on the end of the pump head, behind a plastic plug. BUT: I've never seen one that needed adjustment. Either they work or they don't. If you're going to "adjust it anyway" remember that 1/4 turn at a time is the recommended procedure. And, also remember that once you start "tweeking it" you won't really know what the pressure setting is, could be going up in pressure or could be going down in pressure, depending on whether you're in front of the pump or behind the pump... Clockwise is the opposite direction, depending on where you're standing..... And, if the screw falls out in your hand, a new pressure switch, if you can find one, was $28 the last time I ordered one. Probably double that now. A new pump is about $60, so the switch may cost as much as a new pump.

So, some thought about what you're doing if you're going to jump off the deep end..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #38
Jason.rhodes86

Ended up taking out the pump and cleaning it. I did find debris in there but didn’t fix the issue. Called flojet (xylem) and since it was under warranty still they sent me new one no problem. Put that in and on second day of trip and so far no issues. So hopefully this one will last a while.

Tags
water, water pump