Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #1
Clair25964

Dexter axle bowed

I have a Keystone Everest 345S 2007. I’m putting new brakes and drums on it and noticed the front axle has a bow in it. The back axle is flat. It doesn’t look bent as in having been damaged, it’s just bowed upward, so the tires are slightly pigeon toed. Just wondering if this is cause for concern or if anyone would have an idea as to why or how this is.
Clair25964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The axles are bowed on purpose for load. That size trailer, that old with unknown use/abuse, that flat axle may be an indicator of overloading or damage - or you have it loaded with weight on one axle and not the other? What are the axle weight ratings? Back then Keystone cut weight carrying capability of the axles to the bone (and did until recently). I would have a reputable trailer/axle/suspension vendor check those axles out if you don't have some weight distribution anomaly causing what you are seeing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clair25964 View Post
I have a Keystone Everest 345S 2007. I’m putting new brakes and drums on it and noticed the front axle has a bow in it. The back axle is flat. It doesn’t look bent as in having been damaged, it’s just bowed upward, so the tires are slightly pigeon toed. Just wondering if this is cause for concern or if anyone would have an idea as to why or how this is.
Have you ever noticed an empty tractor trailer flat bed trailer going down the highway....it's bowed upward. It's built like that to take the load that will be placed on it, at which time, depending on the weight of the load, will make it sit flat. Same principle with the axle. I'd be a lot more concerned with the axle that doesn't bow up.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:35 AM   #4
ChuckS

Since that is a 2007 and you are putting new brakes on it I would also replace that flat axle..

If the axles haven’t ever been replaced then the camber is gone on that axle that is flat ..

I would also look really hard at the springs .. and no matter what I would be replacing the wet bolts and bushings using bronze bushings as the replacement ..if this still has the thin spring hanger bars they would also get upgraded to the heavy duty thicker ones

The axle that is flattened out is going to cause both of those tires to wear on the inside ribs and shorten the tire life

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:45 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe this drawing will help explain axle beam camber. The axles are built with a "visible bend in the axle tube" when the axle is not under load (full trailer weight on the axles). With the trailer weight on the axles, the axle tube tends to straighten out, under the weight, which aligns the tire tread to be "flat on the highway surface".

With your trailer, having the front axle camber "visible when trailer is sitting on all 4 tires' and the rear axle appearing to be "flat across the axle beam" tells me that there is either excess weight on the rear axle or it is damaged/bent and no longer has the correct camber.

Either way, both of the axles need to be inspected, bearings serviced or replaced, brakes inspected/serviced/replaced if needed and tires inspected/replaced if over 4 or 5 years old or if worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AXLE CAMBER.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	40684  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #6
travelin texans

A properly aligned axle, be it on a trailer or the front end of your vehicle, should be a bit bow legged & pigeon toed.
If an axle replacement is not the choice, at least head to the local trailer repair shop.& have an alignment to help save the wear on the tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #7
Clair25964

With all four wheels on the road, hooked up to the truck at a rest area, the front axle has a visible bow in it, the tires on the front axle are visibly at angle. My campers dry weight is 11,700 lbs and loaded is 14,400 lbs. I had it weighed before this last trip and it came in at 13,300 lbs, well within its load tolerance. So my question is still “ why is the front axle showing it’s bow when loaded with all four tires on the ground when the back axle is almost flat? It’s the tires on the front axle that aren’t making full contact with the road, look at your drawing again, the loaded front axle looks like the one that says unloaded.
Clair25964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
With all four wheels on the road, hooked up to the truck at a rest area, the front axle has a visible bow in it, the tires on the front axle are visibly at angle. My campers dry weight is 11,700 lbs and loaded is 14,400 lbs. I had it weighed before this last trip and it came in at 13,300 lbs, well within its load tolerance. So my question is still “ why is the front axle showing it’s bow when loaded with all four tires on the ground when the back axle is almost flat? It’s the tires on the front axle that aren’t making full contact with the road, look at your drawing again, the loaded front axle looks like the one that says unloaded.
Repeat: "With your trailer, having the front axle camber "visible when trailer is sitting on all 4 tires' and the rear axle appearing to be "flat across the axle beam" tells me that there is either excess weight on the rear axle or it is damaged/bent and no longer has the correct camber."

In either case (damaged rear axle or overloaded rear axle) you need to have the suspension inspected by a "QUALIFIED" trailer axle repair facility to determine which it is as well as to inspect the entire trailer suspension system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #9
ChuckS

What you can’t see is

When driving down the road the suspension is active as is that axle flexing.. what you you see in that front axle is exactly what you want to see..

The rear axle being flat means ONE THING..the axle has lost its camber and is shot.. a good trailer shop can rebend to get positive camber back

Or order a new axle

Either way until you fix that rear axle those tires on the rear will wear on the inside ribs

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Load it up as if heading to the campground then drop it off at your local trailer shop to align both axles. They will then determine which axle is not as it should be & take care of whatever issues you may have.
Not sure which is cheaper, an alignment or replacement, but even with the replacement I'd recommend an alignment.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle