Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 02:34 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna

Battery Supply for In-Command System

We have a 2018 3401rs Alpine 5th Wheel. I am trying to determine the 12 volt power supply for the In-Command System.

I've had some weak battery indications with the Level-up system. The In-Command now decided not to show anything in the display. I replaced one battery that was bad located in the side passenger compartment. This appeared to be where I thought the power was coming from but it didn't solve the problem. There are two more batteries in the front compartment together. I figured these were for the inverter system since the wires seem to be connected to the inverter.

Can any one tell me for certain the power source for the In-Command system before I go out and purchase two more batteries?

Thanks!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:01 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you connected to shore power or have you recently been connected to shore power? If so, shore power should provide the 12 VDC for the system. If not, all the batteries may be "dead" from not being recharged.

If you're reluctant to go buy two more batteries, which I would be too, then disconnect the two "suspect ones" and connect the new one you did buy in their place. That will confirm for you, what they power. Without being there, it's hard to say which of the two locations provides power to the In-Command system.

Alternatively, you could try connecting your tow vehicle to the 7 pin umbilical and seeing if that will power up the In-Command system. But, plugging into shore power "should" get things operating again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:07 AM   #3
jasin1

I’d invest in a multimeter. It’s cheaper then buying batteries to test

Also check your ground connections
Old 07-09-2022, 04:36 AM   #4
ChuckS

For certain .. with any Alpine the In Command system IS WIRED directly to the battery located inside the access panel for the hydraulic system.

The battery or batteries located in front compartment are for the inverter to power the residential fridge ..

This is on a stock OEM Alpine that hasn’t been modified by another owner.

You need to check:
.. ground cable from battery post to chassis ..remove it and clean off the paint you will most likely find underneath
.. locate the BCM and check the ground cable terminal connection to chassis ground and clean off the paint most likely under the connection
.. verify the incoming power lead source wire for the BCM is tight

You can use a meter directly at the terminal on the BCM for incoming @2 volt DC power and verify it’s steady at over 12 volts

The BCM and DC ( Display Commander) do not like power fluctuations and will go nuts when the incoming 12 volt power drops under 12 volts

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:42 AM   #5
ChuckS

Also the level up control panel doesn’t play well if voltages drop under 12 volts..

Since this is a 2018 pull the control panel out and reseat the single connection on backside of the panel

Now go to front of Alpine and open forward storage door..look up high dead center and you will see the front forward control module

Remove and reseat one at a time each connection to the module

Note.. you will see a single red wire plugged in. This is a direct wire to the battery to power the level up system

Follow it toward the battery and you will find an inline ATC fuse..remove fuse and clean connection and reinstall fuse

Check the power cable from the resettable breaker inside batter6 compartment leading to the dual polarity solenoid on the pump motor ..make sure all connections are clean and tight

If you still have the OEM 50 amp breaker instwlled for the hyd pump solenoid yank that Junk out and install a quality 80 amp breaker now .. that br3akr cannot handle the initial load draw when that hyd pump first spins up and will cause all sorts of voltage fluctuations on the 12 volt DC BUS which the in command system and level up control panel will not like

Old 07-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna

Up-Date

Learned a few things today! 1 of them being that all 3 batteries are tied together.

The other 2 batteries were in much worse shape. Boiled dry and only putting out about 4-5V ea.

3 new Omptima jell-cell batteries & Im happy to say that all is back to normal. As soon as the batteries were hooked up I checked the in-Command system & display lit right up.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #7
ChuckS

If it were mine I would install a battery isolator to separate the batteries in the front form the main coach battery.. this will prevent the inverter from drawing down main battery power

Tags
battery