Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
B3Dcampers

Question RV maintenance

Hello fellow RVers,
Dear Wifey and I embarked on our first 2,000 mile trip in our 2020 Avalanche 313RS that we purchased new a couple years back. We are basically half way through our trip and will start the return leg on Friday morning. Up until this trip we had only made short trips of 200-300 miles for long weekends. During those previous trips we have had a few screws come loose which I was able to fix by wrapping a thin layer of electrical tape to the threads of the screw and reinserting the screw. On this trip we had more than a few screws come loose so I thought I would reach out to the group and ask a couple of questions.

I realize the RV takes a beating from the roads that we travel, but honestly I was surprised by the shear number of screws that backed out of their anchoring position. I also noticed that the black plastic fabric that covers the bottom of the slideout on the entry door side started to wear. I was lead to find the wear as some of the black fabric was just inside the entry door in what would appear to be as some of the fabric had been scraped off. Really hard to describe othering than saying it looked like a small 1*1 inch shaving oh the fabric. Is this normal and should we be concerned?

Also some of the screws that came loose this trip went through a 1/2 piece of wood and then anchored into the wall. Putting the electrical tape on the screw did not work as when reinserting the screw first through the 1/2 piece of would caused the tape to ball up on the wood and not make it to the wall. Another issue with the screws was with how they were used to attach the cornice boards. We had screws come loose that were holding the bottom iChat and left sides of the cornice boards. These screws were screwed in at a angle and not I h of the cornice board holding them against the trailer wall.

Any tips from you RVers out there that travel lots of miles?

Regards,
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:39 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Anytime I have screws come loose, if the thread seems to be stripped, I use a small amount of construction glue and toothpicks in the hole, then reinstall the screw. Give the screw something to bite into and you don’t have to worry about the tape bunching up.

Other screws that tend to come loose are in the skirting, the sheet metal is too thin to really give the screw anything to bite into. Remove those and replace with stainless steel screws and nylon lock nuts.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I am sorry for your problems and that you are finding them in the middle of a big trip.

Loose screws are common. Many are stripped due to overtightening. That happens on everything from trim board to - ever component they are used on. Some can be tightened, some require remediation like a toothpick or such put in the hole, some a larger screw, then some a different kind of fastener. The screws have to be checked on and during every trip....the love of the RV kind of work.

The black fabric on the bottom of the slide is "darco". It is problematic. If the fabric has been torn it will only get worse. If there is a specific "little spot" you need to see if there is something in that area that is tearing the fabric. The repair can be any number of ways and they have been addressed on the forum so won't go into it at this hour but that needs immediate attention.

Screws placed at an angle are common. Screwing into thin air is just as common. Your list is pretty wide open. Some solutions work in some situations while not in others. A little more specificity would help to address specific areas.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
Camp CA

Secure the screws with Loctite Blue 242 Threadlocker. Also, if stripped replace them or if they are loose in the screw hole replace with the next size larger (metric or SAE) screw.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

When you sit down and think about the "mechanics of what's happening" you'll realize that in almost all situations, if nothing moves, nothing changes... So, an RV sitting in storage will probably never have screws backing out, trim falling off the wall, cabinet doors that vibrate open, mattresses that slide off the bed platform, etc.....

It's only when you actually use them that things need to be fixed....

That said, I'd suspect that every RV owner has encountered all or nearly all of the same "gripes" that you have encountered. It's a normal part of RV ownership.... Every time I tow and open the front door of the trailer, I fully expect to see something laying in the doorway that I'll need to repair... It remains a "pleasant surprise" when I open the door and don't see anything to fix before I can unroll the awning and relax.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you sit down and think about the "mechanics of what's happening" you'll realize that in almost all situations, if nothing moves, nothing changes... So, an RV sitting in storage will probably never have screws backing out, trim falling off the wall, cabinet doors that vibrate open, mattresses that slide off the bed platform, etc.....

It's only when you actually use them that things need to be fixed....

That said, I'd suspect that every RV owner has encountered all or nearly all of the same "gripes" that you have encountered. It's a normal part of RV ownership.... Every time I tow and open the front door of the trailer, I fully expect to see something laying in the doorway that I'll need to repair... It remains a "pleasant surprise" when I open the door and don't see anything to fix before I can unroll the awning and relax.... YMMV

I used to think I could travel for several days then check things over but that much time on the road leads to too many "oops" moments at the wrong time. I keep a square drive screwdriver in the first drawer of the coffee bar right inside the entry door. Once I set up I take it and check all the fender screws and anything else that has a square drive screw to make sure they're not about to fall out. I check the weather stripping (yes it will come out and "fly in the breeze") along with the screws underneath, underbelly, tires, suspension etc. I give all of them a once over when I stop for fuel and seems like there's always something trying to wiggle free.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
CampNBrew2

I tell anyone that is new to RVing to keep a robbie driver in the silverware drawer and not put away in the toolbox because you will use it so often.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
meaz93*

Seriously....I think we all open the coach door enter and take a mental note of where things should be, and hope for the best-lol
That being said I had just got through applying some glue and reset a few trim pieces/ nails on this camp outing .
It's totally normal.
You'd think I was a Tradesman with all the tools I travel with> never know....
And you get brownie points with the wife when you look at her and say.....I got this[emoji6]
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #9
CampNBrew2

One fear I've always had is a screw coming out and getting under a slide while while bouncing down the road. Then you drag it across the floor when opening the slide.
Luckily it hasn't happened. I have added various glue, sealant, etc to most of mine that were problematic.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
One fear I've always had is a screw coming out and getting under a slide while while bouncing down the road. Then you drag it across the floor when opening the slide.
Luckily it hasn't happened. I have added various glue, sealant, etc to most of mine that were problematic.
I’ve seen plenty of examples of that when I worked at the rv dealership. Fortunately for me, in the last 10 years of ownership with my Alpine, the only thing that’s ever gotten under a slide is the TV remote. How that didn’t get broken is still a mystery.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

I can presume from this thread that anyone owning an RV has a screw loose?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Yes, in more ways than one If they didn't start out that way, owning an RV will get you there!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
Nankipoo

Quote:
Absolutely. After taking a break from rv'ing for 20 years, I sometimes wonder why I got back into it. 😀
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Try working on them…

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #15
Camp CA

During 3 fifth wheel trailer and one motorhome ownership we have NOT found any screws loose, albeit our Montana High Country did have some mouldings come loose and secured them with screws.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance