Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #21
wrvond

The owner’s manual supplied with your camper and available online explains very clearly the power requirements of your camper starting on page 56.
Additionally, it contains links to the manufacturer’s website of every piece of equipment and the owner’s manuals, installation guides and troubleshooting guides.
I have physically sighted every single piece of equipment, identified by model and serial number. I’ve printed the manuals, guides and parts lists for each and then read them.
The owner’s packet provided by Keystone is less than an inch thick, my notebook created from all the information contained in the owner’s manual is nearly four inches thick.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:59 AM   #22
sahively

ROFL. I think he's pretty clear on the power requirements now, wrvond.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #23
firestation12

NEMA chart

NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturer’s Association) has standardized electrical connecting configurations according to voltage, amperage, and prong configurations such as twist locks etc.. There are more than 80 configurations, each designed to prevent what happened to you. For this mishap to have occurred, someone would have needed to use a 120 Volt 30 amp female plug and wired it to 240 volts at your home’s plug in source, thus the 50 amp female to 30 amp male adapter you ordered would have 240 between the neutral and either of the two hot legs. A 50 amp welder outlet does not look like a 50 amp 120/240 outlet. I support the idea of bypassing the dealer for repairs if you want this fixed in a timely fashion. The items typically damaged are those containing voltage transformers such as microwave ovens (120 volt to 2,000 volts), tvs, audio, voltage converters, inverters, transfer switch. This may be as simple as replacing each item that fails to operate. The fridge, heater and water heater may only require a circuit board replacement not the entire unit, if affected.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Ahhh heck, let me jump on the OP tooooo! He is the one who is going to have to pay for this bit of education and that generally that education so dearly paid for will make an impresson. I think the OP will hire and electrician for the home 50A outlet and a tech to fix what he blew up in the camper and hopefully an Electrical Management System.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

The OP asked not to get "Kicked out". I think he's suffered enough and doesn't deserve further penalty.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #26
travelin texans

Sorry to hear your mishap! As they say "crap occurs!".
My granddad always said "the lessons best learned are those that hit you in the pocketbook!". OH! How true! And I'm a member in good standing in that club!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #27
Life-in-Him

The 240 v welder/water heater sockets have angled (45°?) Legs.
While 30 amp 110v RV plugs are straight up & down.
It is possible to make an an adapter to connect to one leg of the 240V socket.
BUT, the ground & neutral must be joined on the RV side & that is not code & may cause Hot Skin issues if either ground or neutral are broken & a device in the RV shorts out.
Not a good idea
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote