Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
Superdave99

RV Trailer stabilization while parked

We are in the third season camping with our 2020 Springdale 293RK. While set up we seem to be experiencing a lot more bounce than our previous trailer. My wife who experiences some motion issues is being affected by people moving around while trying to sleep. I have increased the height of the four corner blocks to try and reduce the bounce and sway. One observation was that these scissor jacks seem to a little on the light side compared to others I have seen. I have also started to use “X” chocks between the tires. I am curious if adding another leaf spring would help stiffen up the bounce. Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas as to how to reduce the bounce while people moving around in the trailer.
Superdave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:46 AM   #2
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave99 View Post
We are in the third season camping with our 2020 Springdale 293RK. While set up we seem to be experiencing a lot more bounce than our previous trailer. My wife who experiences some motion issues is being affected by people moving around while trying to sleep. I have increased the height of the four corner blocks to try and reduce the bounce and sway. One observation was that these scissor jacks seem to a little on the light side compared to others I have seen. I have also started to use “X” chocks between the tires. I am curious if adding another leaf spring would help stiffen up the bounce. Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas as to how to reduce the bounce while people moving around in the trailer.
we have a family of four. Other than using a wooden block that i created under the tongue, and leveling blocks under each of our 4 stabilizers, i use a rubber chock for each tire, and then x-chocks between both sets of tires. I upgraded our stairs because they used to bounce (and so did the whole TT) when someone used them, but now it doesn't. Not sure if 1 thing helps, or the combo. I can also say if our kids get rowdy, the entire TT will still move slightly, but I don't think it's enough to wake someone up at night.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Blocks under the stabilizers will help (keeps the jacks shorter/sturdier) along with xchocks. A couple of items that really help in my experience:

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-23216-Loc...s%2C120&sr=8-2

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...hoCfMUQAvD_BwE
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
Ibdagriz

I carry an additional pair of scissor type jacks that I put right in front of the front trailer tires. I also use the X-chocks and 4 corner scissor jacks. Seems to help a bit more as at 6'6", 325, I can rock the TT walking about.

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #5
wrvond

If you don't already have them, get yourself some real wheel chocks. Available at Harbor Freight, they are quite inexpensive. Get at least four, if not eight of them (for a tandem axle camper), then when you go to set the chocks, don't simply kick them snug up to the tire with your foot, place four chocks (one per tire) all on the same side of the tires (all on the back for example) then put your truck in gear and back up (or pull forward as appropriate) a slight bit so the tires are up on the chocks. Place the other four chocks on the opposing sides of the tires and then put the truck in neutral and allow it to settle between the chocks fore and aft. Each chock should now be too tight to move by kicking, etc. This will reduce the amount of trailer movement significantly.
There are other things you can do, such as heavier duty stabilizer jacks or extra jacks under the frame near the axles. How far you go and how much you spend is up to you.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If you don't already have them, get yourself some real wheel chocks. Available at Harbor Freight, they are quite inexpensive. Get at least four, if not eight of them (for a tandem axle camper), then when you go to set the chocks, don't simply kick them snug up to the tire with your foot, place four chocks (one per tire) all on the same side of the tires (all on the back for example) then put your truck in gear and back up (or pull forward as appropriate) a slight bit so the tires are up on the chocks. Place the other four chocks on the opposing sides of the tires and then put the truck in neutral and allow it to settle between the chocks fore and aft. Each chock should now be too tight to move by kicking, etc. This will reduce the amount of trailer movement significantly.
There are other things you can do, such as heavier duty stabilizer jacks or extra jacks under the frame near the axles. How far you go and how much you spend is up to you.
This is the "best practice" for setting tire chocks as "tightly as possible" to eliminate trailer roll, but remember that it also makes them "impossible to remove until you do the same process in reverse"...

With that comes a certain amount of personal risk. We had a member who was on a trip from "cold climate to warm climate" and stopped in Utah for the night, set their chocks using this same procedure and the next morning, it was cold and snowing, so they were rushed. He was in the truck, "pushing the trailer so she could pull the chocks. She grabbed a chock just as the rig rolled forward and severed her thumb....

So, if you set chocks this way, use a rope to set and to pull them rather than grabbing them with your hand, thumbs and fingers are "sort of needed" to enjoy camping !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Our solution is using Beech Lane leveling chocks on one side (they have a dual role of leveling and cradling the wheels at the same time). We use conventional chocks on the other side. We have X-chocks, but have not used them since we replaced the cheap/wobbly factory scissor jacks at each corner with Eaz-Lift Heavy Duty scissor jacks. We have a rambunctious daughter (turned 9 today) and two 55 lb. English Bulldogs that really tested the stability, but now we are very stable.

Also keep in mind that blocks are your friends here…the less extension you have on the stabilizers, the more solid you will be. However, because the center if the trsiler is resting on rubber tires and leafsprings, there will always be movement.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #8
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is the "best practice" for setting tire chocks as "tightly as possible" to eliminate trailer roll, but remember that it also makes them "impossible to remove until you do the same process in reverse"...

With that comes a certain amount of personal risk. We had a member who was on a trip from "cold climate to warm climate" and stopped in Utah for the night, set their chocks using this same procedure and the next morning, it was cold and snowing, so they were rushed. He was in the truck, "pushing the trailer so she could pull the chocks. She grabbed a chock just as the rig rolled forward and severed her thumb....

So, if you set chocks this way, use a rope to set and to pull them rather than grabbing them with your hand, thumbs and fingers are "sort of needed" to enjoy camping !!!!!

Very good points!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
jsb5717

Scissor jacks are OK for reducing bounce (vertical movement) but, in my experience, they don't help much with sway (horizontal movement). XChocks can help by stabilizing the tires but IMHO, the best solution is JT Strongarms, or the equivalent made by BAL. They will greatly reduce sway. And since they attach to your stabilizers and frame there's nothing to set up or break down and store. Just tighten or loosen
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 02:48 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I bought a set of the yellow plastic wheel chocks from Wallys. First time I pulled out after I forgot to remove them they were flattened. I now have Harbor Freight heavy rubber chocks. When I run over them, at least I can feel it and go back and retrieve them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Scissor jacks are OK for reducing bounce (vertical movement) but, in my experience, they don't help much with sway (horizontal movement). XChocks can help by stabilizing the tires but IMHO, the best solution is JT Strongarms, or the equivalent made by BAL. They will greatly reduce sway. And since they attach to your stabilizers and frame there's nothing to set up or break down and store. Just tighten or loosen
I totally forgot about our JT Strongarms! Love them!
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
Pharphr

Another option is the Steady Fast system, which is basically the same as the JT Strongarm system.
Pharphr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I totally forgot about our JT Strongarms! Love them!
Love our JT’s, do a Google search as prices vary greatly for the same units. We got ours on a great sale from CW, other times PPL Motorhomes has had the best price.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:45 AM   #14
Millertyme76

I use stabilizing jacks on the frame near the tires. This helped mine out.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia...s%2C149&sr=8-5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	278618192_519253293242160_8370143267830241604_n.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	39352  
2022 Prime Time Avenger 27DBS (Bought New 2022)
2021 Ford F250 XL 6.2L (Bought Used 2024)
Husky 32215 WDH
Millertyme76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #15
skunked again

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50934

Found the linked idea online. I used 2x6’s, as that’s what I had laying around.
It really solidifies the sway/bounce. Does it completely eliminate it? No. Greatly reduce it? Yes. Use in conjunction with the standard stabilizers.
Instead of eye bolts, I used tie down rings, takes up less space when stored, won’t get caught on stuff as bad either.
skunked again is offline   Reply With Quote