Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Varhino

Where are the Low Point Drains?

We have a 2022 Keystone Springdale 335BH. It has the heated and enclosed underbelly. Searching for the low point drains (for hot and cold plumbing) and there are none extruding through the bottom membrane.

Talked with Keystone folks yesterday and they said they might be near the water heater on the underbelly. But, there are no lines there. Manuals are no help and I have not been successful using online searches.

I do not want to go making slices in the membrane or underbelly searching for these, as I am fairly certain they are there somewhere. Need to find them for future references in case of a need to drain the system for repair and certainly prior to winterizing.

Anyone have a 335BH or had to search for the low point drains before? Any guidance before I go slicing and searching would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Varhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Sounds like your drains were covered by the stuff underneath. I would schedule a trip to the dealer and have them expose the drains because if you can't see them hanging below the bottom covering, they were likely covered.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

DO NOT MAKE SLICES IN YOUR UNDERBELLY !!!!!

Your low point drains are probably on the OUTSIDE of the covered underbelly, between the frame rails and the side skirting of the lower sidewalls of the trailer. Get on a creeper under your trailer, look at the space behind the tires along the OUTSIDE of the steel frame rails. I think you'll find the low point drains, probably along the curbside, forward of the tires and entry door or on the roadside, aft of the slide and tires....

Please tell us that you're towing that 11,200 pound trailer with a 1300+ tongue weight with something bigger than a half ton truck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The location of the low point and fresh tank drains should have been pointed out by the selling dealership during your PDI/orientation.

As John said DO NOT cut anything, get a creeper and start looking on the outside of the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
Varhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
DO NOT MAKE SLICES IN YOUR UNDERBELLY !!!!!

Your low point drains are probably on the OUTSIDE of the covered underbelly, between the frame rails and the side skirting of the lower sidewalls of the trailer. Get on a creeper under your trailer, look at the space behind the tires along the OUTSIDE of the steel frame rails. I think you'll find the low point drains, probably along the curbside, forward of the tires and entry door or on the roadside, aft of the slide and tires....

Please tell us that you're towing that 11,200 pound trailer with a 1300+ tongue weight with something bigger than a half ton truck !!!!!
Thanks John!
That's where I'm hoping to find them. There seems to be a bundle under the outside section of the underside just forward of the water heater outboard of the kitchen sink.

Yes, our Tow vehicle is a 2022 Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Diesel w/10 speed Allison.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #6
GHen

I don’t have your rig, but agree with above, don’t cut the underbelly. The two pipes probably just barely stick through the belly. The valves are probably inside a storage area or cabinet within 18” or so from the outside wall.

Try to find the valves and the outlet drains will be just below.

On my rig the valves are accessed through a pass through storage area and there is a small panel with 2 screws covering access.

Just trying to provide some hints on where to look.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I don’t have your rig, but agree with above, don’t cut the underbelly. The two pipes probably just barely stick through the belly. The valves are probably inside a storage area or cabinet within 18” or so from the outside wall.

Try to find the valves and the outlet drains will be just below.

On my rig the valves are accessed through a pass through storage area and there is a small panel with 2 screws covering access.

Just trying to provide some hints on where to look.
I don't believe I've ever seen a Springdale with valves above the floor to control flow in the low point drains. The Springdale line is an entry level brand, using the low cost construction measures typical in entry level trailers. Every Springdale that I've seen (and my own Springdale) had simple half inch Tee fittings in the hot and cold water lines with a piece of PEX stuck through the floor with a screw on cap to keep them from leaking. It's not until you get into the higher priced brands that you'll find "above the floor", in convenience center valves for low point drains in the Keystone brands.

I'd suspect that like all the Springdales that I've seen, it has two half inch PEX tubes pointing down, through the floor, with screw on plastic caps on the end, AND a third PEX tube as the fresh water drain line, located directly under the fresh water tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Just to add confusion, Big Horn trailers don’t have low point drains.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:23 AM   #9
RMC-318BR

If it’s anything like my 2022 hideout 318BR I had the same question as you a few weeks ago. I had the 2 caps inside the heater door but couldn’t find the drains. No one had answers I even called keystone and they said under the heater door. Wrong!! While I was laying in the ground installed led under lighting I found them all the way in the rear, in the rear corner on the right side. Hope it helps
RMC-318BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:39 AM   #10
Varhino

Update on the search:
Bought a small light scope that connects to my Android phone via WiFi. This allowed me to make a hole the size of a pencil to insert the scope and look around. Found the drains at the right rear of the trailer on the outboard side. Drains now available and a small piece of Gorilla Duct tape to cover the pencil sized holes used to search.

Thanks for the guidance and advice!
Varhino
Old 03-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varhino View Post
Update on the search:
Bought a small light scope that connects to my Android phone via WiFi. This allowed me to make a hole the size of a pencil to insert the scope and look around. Found the drains at the right rear of the trailer on the outboard side. Drains now available and a small piece of Gorilla Duct tape to cover the pencil sized holes used to search.

Thanks for the guidance and advice!
Varhino

Did you find the drains above the coroplast or did they extend through it or the frame? Did they have caps or valves?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #12
Varhino

They were barely through the coroplast near the drain for the rear black tank. They have caps on them.
Old 10-13-2023, 07:06 AM   #13
Hpycmpr

Found them low point drains

I found mine behind the left rear axel, right in front of the rear steps. Picture included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	45402  
Hpycmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 06:34 AM   #14
Max23

I realize this is an old thread but gonna add my 2cents with a story that just happened. Not sure how to take it, not sure what else it could be, just not sure about a lot of it so maybe some "tech" experience will shed some light for me. A friend has a '21 Springdale. (not mine so I don't know the model, sorry) The past times he has always had the dealer winterize it. I said hey, why are you giving them $100 to winterize it when we can do it for $10 worth of RV anti freeze. Anyway, I started to look it over and said "where are your low point drains"? He says I've never been able to find any, don't think it has any. So, he just got it back from the dealer for some other fix unrelated to winterizing, I said, when you pick it up ask them, where are my low point drains, can't find them. The tech said, you don't have any. I'm like what?? Yup, thats what they said. Searching and searching his coroplast under there, there is nothing to be found anywhere. Went over it with a fine tooth comb. Found nothing. Therefore my only conclusion can be, he really doesn't have any. I find that extremely hard to believe, my question for everyone here is, Is this even possible??? Has anyone ever heard of this before??
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 06:30 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

The low point drains on my 2014 Springdale were on the outside of the frame rails (between the rail and the J-wrap skirt), about 2' behind the rear curbside tire, just aft of the wheelwell. They were so well hidden that I searched for almost an hour, on my back, under the trailer on a creeper with a flashlight before I finally found them. I don't remember ever running across a Keystone trailer that didn't have low point drains, but I wouldn't stake my life on that as being an absolute fact.... Check outside the frame rails, I think you'll find them "somewhere" and I'd speculate they are halfway between the galley sink and the bathroom sink, probably in a "straight line between the two"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
drain