Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2022, 06:34 AM   #1
Georgepr

Water city problem

My RV is constantly leaking water from where it says Tank Vent (see picture). This started a month ago. The water connection I am using is from the RV's facilities. Any suggestions on what might be going on and how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1647871227407.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	38843  
Georgepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:38 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Are you using a quality water pressure regulator? Have you tried cycling the valve? Either the valve is faulty or the valve in the water pump has failed, either way it looks like your fresh tank is filling.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:53 AM   #3
Georgepr

Thanks for replying, I'm new to RVs. Do you think by turning off the water city connection and turning on the water pump can empty the tank and solve the problem?
Old 03-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Switching it will empty you tank at some point, but it’s not going to solve the problem. As soon as you switch back over to city water your fresh tank will fill again. It’s probably flowing through the water pump and filling your fresh tank, that seems to be the most common failure.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Georgepr

Any web side that I can buy the water pump valve for Outback Diamond Super Lite?
Old 03-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepr View Post
Any web side that I can buy the water pump valve for Outback Diamond Super Lite?
Just replace the pump. You can get them from Amazon for around $60. I’d look at the pump to see the specs on the one you have, it’s not critical to match it up exactly, just don’t want to get one that is smaller/less gph.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepr View Post
There are two "possible issues" with your water system. First is the blue knob in the convenience center that you turn to fill the fresh water tank or turn the other direction to run city water. There is an O-ring on the valve behind that blue knob. If you turn it while the city water pressure is on the trailer, you could have "rolled the O-ring off the groove in the valve body". If so, you'll need to disassemble the valve structure behind the convenience center to reseat the O-ring. On some valve bodies, you can't take them apart, so you replace the entire system.... This is not likely your problem (fortunately) so I'd start with the pump head on the pump. But always remember to turn off city water pressure before turning valves on the water supply knobs in the convenience center.

There is no "water pump valve" in the FloJet or Shure Flow pump system. The pump head diaphragm serves both to pump water to the trailer plumbing runs and to prevent water from backflowing into the fresh water tank.

Often times, shards of plastic debris (from the factory drilling holes for tank fittings) will get sucked up the supply hose and into the pump head. When that happens, the plastic debris (trash) fouls the water pathway and prevents the diaphragm from closing completely. The result is water backflowing into the fresh water tank through the diaphragm...

You "might" clear the plastic shards by running the pump and turning on a couple of faucets for several minutes. I say "might" because it only clears the diaphragm about 20% of the time. If that doesn't work, you'll need to disassemble the pump head to clean the plastic shards out of the cavity. If you do that, PAY ATTENTION TO HOW IT COMES APART SO YOU CAN PUT IT BACK TOGETHER PROPERLY !!!!! It's not difficult, but can be confusing is you don't know where all the little parts go upon reassembly...

Alternatively, you can put a new pump, install it and hope the same doesn't happen again. I always recommend you install a pump strainer (not a true filter) on the supply line from the tank to the pump. If you have a FloJet pump, this strainer is a "quick connect type" and takes about 30 seconds to install by simply unlocking the blue tab on the input side of the pump, inserting the strainer and then inserting the supply hose fitting into the strainer and pushing in the two blue locking tabs... It'll be the "best $10 investment in your plumbing system that you could buy.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLO JET STRAINER.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	38857  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water