Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #1
B8mn1

Info on Outback Ultralite

Hi All,

Bought the "new" to us trailer and will take delivery on Sunday... A 2020 Outback 260UML.. The seller bought it new and brought it home just in time for the Covid to hit.. He already had health issues and never used it... stored it outside... never been slept in and the toilet has never been used...

But I've been looking for a few spec's that I can't find.. I an very curious about the roof construction.. in 2022, it is 3/8" sheathing,,, but can find what mine is.. I can pull the vent apart and visually check material, but I was wondering if anyone had knowledge...

The second is the floor system... I know they've introduced their Hyperdeck flooring in 2020.. Does anyone know when it actually went into production?

I may be able to inspect thru plumbing cutouts and figure this out too... but I was hoping someone have first hand knowledge...

I will verify my production date on Sunday... Also, I see the 2022 is listed as 500 lbs heavier dry... What changed?

Thanks All...

I will likely ask a lot of questions and try and figure this thing out..

Ben
B8mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
Midwesterner

Hello, welcome. I did a similar purchase late last year with a 2020 Passport model. Ours was built in 2019, before the transition to Hyperdeck. I didn’t know the difference at the time but do now. The easiest way to check is to crawl under the trailer and see if it has Darco covering, a tarp like weaved material, in the wheel wells. If it is smooth, it should be the newer material. If yours has vents in the floor like mine, you can undo the vent and look to see the material.

Enjoy your new rig!
2022 Ram 2500 6.7 3:73
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the 2020 brochure here: https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...chure-2020.pdf

Keystone builds two versions/model lines in the outback series. The trailers, although they bear the same name, are NOT built with the same materials. As an example, the "premium Outback line" has 15" wheels and 3/8" roof decking. The "utility Outback line" (of which the 260UML is built) has 14" wheels and the roof decking material is not listed in the 2020 brochure.

As for the 500 pound difference in weight from the 2020 to the 2022 model, I'd guess that increase could come from the Solar Flex package, some changes in furniture design, and possibly, the addition of 3/8" roof decking on the entire line to include all Outback models... I'm not saying your trailer has 1/4" roof deck material, but the 2020 brochure does not have a "DOT" to indicate the heavier decking is in your line of Outback...

Trust me when I say that if it's an "advertising advantage for Keystone" they don't omit declaring the upgrade, so if it ain't listed, you can be sure it ain't present"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #4
B8mn1

I saw the lack of declaration of the 3/8" deck in the 2020 brochure... but thought its strange that it now has it... but I also agree that if it was there, they would have let consumer's know..

I was thinking that also was some of the weight increase from the 2020 to the 2022 model...

I haven't seen anything regarding the "utility" line of Outback, but know the 260UML is from their ultralite version.. coming in lighter than their larger, heavier Outback line... which allows heavier components..

I will see what I figure out when I get it home.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8mn1 View Post
I haven't seen anything regarding the "utility" line of Outback, but know the 260UML is from their ultralite version.. coming in lighter than their larger, heavier Outback line... which allows heavier components.....
Take a look at the brochure and you can "gleen the premium features" in the upgraded Outback line that are not present in the "utility/ultra-lite line"...

Things like solid surface countertops, fireplace, roller shades, 15" tires, automatic leveling system, slam locks on baggage doors, different galvanized rafters, different fiberglass front cap, different mattress are all "just a part of the upgrades in the premium Outback line"....

In the Keystone lines, when they "separate a brand" into "premium and Ultra-Lite lines" you can be assured that there are upgrades to make one "more luxurious/functional" with higher cost options. It's not just a different floorplan....

They do the same with Springdale/Summerland, Passport SL/GT, and a few others.... They also "muddy the water" by marketing Fuzion/Impact, Raptor/Carbon and make it even more difficult to understand just what you're buying with the Montana/Montana High Country (which is a different trailer under the same "Montana brand")

Airstream did/does the same with their "silver tubes".. There's the Excella, International, Soverign, Ambassador, series from previous marketing and the new, Classic, Pottery Barn, International, Bambi, Globe Trotter, Flying Cloud and Caravel... Looking at the "outside" they all look the same, but start digging in the "features charts and equipment included" and they are vastly different. It's the same with the Outback. Two different trailer lines marketed under one brand name.

It all resembles the old GM marketing strategy of Chevrolet Impala/BelAire/Biscayne or the Pontiac Bonneville/StarFire/Catalina lines....

Look at the brochure and the "dots in the charts" and much of it will become clearer, but there's still some "completely omitted so consumers won't pick up on it" bits and pieces in the brochures.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

A few things would conern me with the purchase of a "new" trailer that has set for 2 years but could be 3 years old.

Tires, check the brand and mfg date code. They could be much older than you think. Also consider the brand and where/how they have been setting. Do you see water or mud marks from setting in a puddle? Are the tires damaged from setting that long with the weight being beared by one spot? I'd replace those "new" tires to be on the safe side.

Roof, look over the roof carefully. It's most likely way overdue to be re-sealed around the penetrations.
Windows, check the condition of all the gaskets, seals, and that the drain or weep holes are open. The thing with water intrusion is that while it may not appear to bee leaking water can do damage before it appears inside.

Check all mechanicals, i.e. breaks, jacks, etc. Mechanical thinks are better when used regularly. That helps prevent rust build up. Lubricate it if it moves but don't use the grease fittings for the wheel bearings, they should be inspected and packed by hand.

Appliances that use LP gas. Check furnace, water heater and fridge burners for any obstructions. Incects will often nest in the burner tubes and flues. Good luck with your new adventures.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
B8mn1

Thanks for that info...

It is sitting on a slab, but the Tires are China Bombs made 26th week of 2019.. so they will be the first thing to replace... Then a thorough check of the other systems will follow...

I did a pretty good check of it when I bought it... but I know it will need checked and resealed.... was watching some videos on the resealing last night...

Thanks!

Ben
Old 02-26-2022, 06:47 AM   #8
Beernutzbob

I just bought a used 2019 Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS and found out the hard way that the year it is labeled and titled is not necessarily the feature set on the unit.

Ours was manufactured 6/25/2018 and though all the documents I have labeled it a 2019 it has all the features of a 2018.

The dealer I purchased from compounded the confusion by listing as its features those of the 2019 Premium Outback (e.g. fireplace) and not the Ultra-Lite.

I don't know the industry that well so this came as a surprise even though I did a lot of research. The dealer and I resolved the situation to my satisfaction and the trailer was put into immaculate condition before delivery.
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutzbob View Post
I just bought a used 2019 Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS and found out the hard way that the year it is labeled and titled is not necessarily the feature set on the unit.

Ours was manufactured 6/25/2018 and though all the documents I have labeled it a 2019 it has all the features of a 2018.

The dealer I purchased from compounded the confusion by listing as its features those of the 2019 Premium Outback (e.g. fireplace) and not the Ultra-Lite.

I don't know the industry that well so this came as a surprise even though I did a lot of research. The dealer and I resolved the situation to my satisfaction and the trailer was put into immaculate condition before delivery.
There's often a misconception that RV's are like cars when it comes to model year and warranty. The auto industry must shut down their production line to change over to a new model year if there are major changes. The "new" model year will all look the same, same lines, same windows, etc. In yearss gone by sometimes they would have a 1/2 year or "mid year" model change.

With the RV industry it's not the same. It's an assembly floor not an assembly line. The units are built with a crew not a large number af assembly line workers with very specific tasks. By nature, an RV assembly floor will make changes according to what they have on hand. So while they may have a hard date for the new model that doesn't mean they won't use up the previous model materiels

Let's say the new model has a different front cap. If they run out of the last model cap they will use the new one. Transversly if they have a couple of the last model caps laying around they may end up on those transition units. The major focus is to keep the builds going and stop for nothing. There's a huge difference between manufacturing infastructures between the automotive and RV industry, especially post Covid infection and all the resultant supply chain issues.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Beernutzbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There's often a misconception that RV's are like cars when it comes to model year and warranty. The auto industry must shut down their production line to change over to a new model year if there are major changes. The "new" model year will all look the same, same lines, same windows, etc. In yearss gone by sometimes they would have a 1/2 year or "mid year" model change.

With the RV industry it's not the same. It's an assembly floor not an assembly line. The units are built with a crew not a large number af assembly line workers with very specific tasks. By nature, an RV assembly floor will make changes according to what they have on hand. So while they may have a hard date for the new model that doesn't mean they won't use up the previous model materiels

Let's say the new model has a different front cap. If they run out of the last model cap they will use the new one. Transversly if they have a couple of the last model caps laying around they may end up on those transition units. The major focus is to keep the builds going and stop for nothing. There's a huge difference between manufacturing infastructures between the automotive and RV industry, especially post Covid infection and all the resultant supply chain issues.
I don't have an issue with any of that. However imo if the unit is manufactured in 2018 for example and includes the features that are shown in the 2018 company brochure it should be described as a 2018 model for clarity.
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutzbob View Post
I don't have an issue with any of that. However imo if the unit is manufactured in 2018 for example and includes the features that are shown in the 2018 company brochure it should be described as a 2018 model for clarity.
I understand that but the brochures and other publications are targeted for the thousands of units made. The mfg doesn't make a "could be this" seperate brochure. If jyou seek information, I think your best bet would be to call Keystone customer service and give them your VIN.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #12
travelin texans

You think that's confusing?
We visited the rv factories around Elkhart a few years ago, they had 1000's of Ford cut away chassis for class Cs at every manufacturer, there was no way they could build that many units before the next year model chassis came out. So when buying a class C the chassis could possibly be 1, 2 or more model.years old while the rv is sold as the current year model.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:41 AM   #13
B8mn1

Details of purchase

I picked up the trailer last week and have been going over it… I haven’t taken the roof vent apart, but from a ladder, I’m very confident the roof deck is way less than 3/8”.. too much flex with my hand to ever consider walking on it…

The floor is also luan… with the material coating on the bottom… no laminate “Hyperdeck”…..

Everything seems to be without issue except a flaw on the slide out roof… a pretty good fold of material….. I’m concerned with it there due to the seals that slide across it.. I am going to cut out the fold and put a 6” Eturnabond down flat on the leading edge.

The heater sure stunk and blew out debris….. but that passed soon….. still working on getter it all cleaned up..

Thanks!

Ben

Tags
outback