Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
charlescho

I'm new!

Taking delivery of a 2022 Passport 221BH next week.

Towing with a '17 Tundra after RVing with a motorhome for 2 years. Did 4 years of towing trailers prior to that.

Are Keystone Passports above average in the hierarchy of TTs? I hope so!
❌2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
charlescho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Passport. I think Passports fall into the range of entry level. They are designed and priced for younger families, usually with smaller children, or for first time travel trailer owners. That DOES NOT mean they are inferior campers. They just don't have some of the higher end "glitz", won't have electric or hydraulic jacks, won't have residential refrigerators, and are a bit lighter weight so they can be towed with non-dually, 1 ton beasts, but more can be towed with the family vehicle.

Passports are a very, very popular brand. And I really do think the "target" audience for them is the young family of 4, Not a couple's trailer for retired full times. That's the difference.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
travelin texans

With I assume a family due to getting a bunkhouse?
If so you may want to note for safety sake the payload of your Tundra on the driver's door jamb, a yellow/white tag stating "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs".
That Passport has a GVWR of 7000lbs which equal 900+lb tongue + 100+/-lb weight of the WDH required + all your family, pets & anything else in your truck subtracted from that payload number.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
charlescho

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With I assume a family due to getting a bunkhouse?
If so you may want to note for safety sake the payload of your Tundra on the driver's door jamb, a yellow/white tag stating "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs".
That Passport has a GVWR of 7000lbs which equal 900+lb tongue + 100+/-lb weight of the WDH required + all your family, pets & anything else in your truck subtracted from that payload number.
Agree! I just can't help rolling my eyes at the RV sales guys telling me I can tow 7, 8, 9000lb with my truck when I tell them it's rated for 9800lb.

Realistically, I am at my max towing this 5200lb (dry) when factoring in the weakest link of the towing equation... the tongue weight in conjunction with the truck's payload.

I'm definitely getting another WDH (as I have sold it when we traded in out last trailer). I am looking into the Andersen hitch--the one with the chains. It's lighter thus saving precious payload weight, quiet, and easy(er) to dis/connect.
❌2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
Old 02-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
charlescho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Passport. I think Passports fall into the range of entry level. They are designed and priced for younger families, usually with smaller children, or for first time travel trailer owners. That DOES NOT mean they are inferior campers. They just don't have some of the higher end "glitz", won't have electric or hydraulic jacks, won't have residential refrigerators, and are a bit lighter weight so they can be towed with non-dually, 1 ton beasts, but more can be towed with the family vehicle.

Passports are a very, very popular brand. And I really do think the "target" audience for them is the young family of 4, Not a couple's trailer for retired full times. That's the difference.
We're at the stage in our lives where our kids are in high school and entering college. So our thinking was to get another bunkhouse trailer to use with the kids for a couple, or hopefully few, more years. And then afterwards, take the bunks out and convert that space into an office area with a desk and more storage. Eventually, we'll get a "nice" TT, or class B or C when we're ready for semi RV living. Right now, we've been using our various RVs for 2-3 months a year.

I was asking about where the Passport lands in the crap-to-nice range because several sales guys were dogging on the Springdales and Hideout (all in the Keystone family) and praising the Passport. Our research was telling us that all 3 were basically on the same level. I wanted to get a feel from real owners here how the Passport really stands.

In any case, we've had 2 Forest River TTs, and know how their built. Very interested to see how owning a Keystone will be. I know all of these RVs are being cranked out quick, so I know the quality won't be much different. Don't ask me about our 4 week cross country trip from hell. Everything went wrong on that trip, from the fridge, WDH, jacks, etc. Horrible at the time, but kinda fun thinking back on it.
❌2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
Old 02-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescho View Post
We're at the stage in our lives where our kids are in high school and entering college. So our thinking was to get another bunkhouse trailer to use with the kids for a couple, or hopefully few, more years. And then afterwards, take the bunks out and convert that space into an office area with a desk and more storage. Eventually, we'll get a "nice" TT, or class B or C when we're ready for semi RV living. Right now, we've been using our various RVs for 2-3 months a year.

I was asking about where the Passport lands in the crap-to-nice range because several sales guys were dogging on the Springdales and Hideout (all in the Keystone family) and praising the Passport. Our research was telling us that all 3 were basically on the same level. I wanted to get a feel from real owners here how the Passport really stands.

In any case, we've had 2 Forest River TTs, and know how their built. Very interested to see how owning a Keystone will be. I know all of these RVs are being cranked out quick, so I know the quality won't be much different. Don't ask me about our 4 week cross country trip from hell. Everything went wrong on that trip, from the fridge, WDH, jacks, etc. Horrible at the time, but kinda fun thinking back on it.
Welcome from Eastern, PA. DW and I purchased a 2021 Passport 221ML (now sold as 229RK) for the two of us and love it. It is perfect for a couple and the fold out couch worked great for the granddaughters. it may not have the glitz of higher end TT's but we think it is just perfect. The 8 cubic foot refer is good for a weeks worth of food. it has power stabilizer jacks, power tongue jack and power awning. I hope you enjoy your passport as much as we do ours.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote