Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
KevinCaron

Long term parking of trailer.

We have property in northern Az and have planted our trailer there. I have been closing the pop outs when we leave after a 4 to 7 day stay. It may be a month or 2 before we get up to the trailer the next time. Can I leave them open when we are not there or should I close them? A little worried about the seals drying out and leaking when it rains. If I leave them open should I put a jack stand under the pop outs for support?

The trailer will most likely never see pavement again so this is for the rest of it's life.

The trailer is a 2017 and is in very good conditions so no leaks at this point.
KevinCaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off DO NOT put any supports under the slides. I would retract them when your gone, and just lube and treat the seals twice a year. Don’t forget to inspect the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
cchristo

Just out of curiosity. Why no support under the slides?
cchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
LHaven

Mainly because if there is uneven ground settling, or frost heaves, or high windstorms, or whatever, you may end up in a situation where the slide bracing is actually pushing the slide higher than it would normally be, and that stresses fittings and mecanisms are are not designed to be stressed in that direction.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Agree with the above poster. If not actually at the camper for a length of time, button it up as if it's in storage. (which, when you think about it ... it actually is).

Pull slides in and disconnect water, or at least turn off the main water source. Turn off your water heater, and dump all holding tanks and rinse them if you can.

Why do all of this? Because when you are away from the camper, ANYTHING can happen. Anything! If you have secured the camper, there is less of a chance for something to get damaged. Eliminate all known possibilities and you can rest a lot easier.

Absolutely do not put any kind of supports under the slides. This is a disaster waiting to happen. If your jacks slip, your tires loose air, or a horrific wind storm happens and the trailer shifts, rocks, or moves even a little, that support under the slide will cause unwelcome stress on the slide and can actually damage them. .... pull the slides in. Keep them safe that way. less exposure to the elements, the better off your camper is.

Good advise above on treating the slide seals.