Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
OffTheGround

Dometic Furnace not igniting

Having troubles with my furnace in my year old trailer. Worked great earlier this summer, but went to fire it up the other day and it would not ignite.

The furnace is a Dometic installed in a 2020 Bullet 243 BHS with a GE Thermostat.

I set the thermostat and the furnace blower kicks on for 15 seconds, blower runs and exhausts as usual, it attempts to ignite, I can hear the igniter cycling, but it never fires. It attempts to fire two more times and then shuts down, blower runs the entire time. I have attempted this several times with no luck. I have read up on this topic and have ensured my propane is bled, every other propane appliance works fine, I have checked the fuse, all good, I have reset the unit by killing the power, I have pulled the unit and checked the sail switch, looks brand new and has continuity on the tester. All vents are clear and the unit itself is clean.

I am assuming it is something to do with the propane, but as I said the lines are fully bled. I even ran propane through the line when it was unhooked just to see if it is a supply issue prior to the furnace connection. Propane came out of the line when disconnected. I vented the trailer fully prior to proceeding with hooking back up.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Since you know propane is getting TO the furnace, I'd try once more to get it to ignite. If/when it fails, as soon as the third ignition cycle ends, go outside and smell the exhaust to see if you smell propane. DO NOT STICK YOUR NOSE NEAR THE EXHAUST IF THE FURNACE IS STILL CYCLING THE IGNITER !!!!!

If you wait until the fan stops running, it will have "pushed all the propane gasses out of the combustion chamber, so that likely wouldn't help you determine if the gas valve is opening. You'll need to count the clicks and after the 3rd set of clicks, (when the cycle goes into lockout and won't click further) is when to smell for propane.

If you smell propane, the issue is probably the igniter not sparking and usually caused by dirt/soot buildup. If you do not smell propane, it's probably a gas valve/control board issue

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

When one of mine did exactly that it was the control board.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
ChuckS

Since his furnace is the Dometic/Atwood if he can see the control board then look at the RED LED and see if it is giving you a code error

Fault LED Indication
Internal Circuit Board fault - Steady on, no flashing
Limit switch/Airflow problems - 1 flash with 3-second pause
Flame Sense fault - 2 flashes with 3-second pause
Ignition Lockout Fault - 3 flashes with 3-second pause

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
OffTheGround

Thanks for the reply's. I will be looking into this further this weekend. No propane is detected at the exhaust after the lighting attempts. Will pull the unit out and have a closer look.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
OffTheGround

$334.00 later for a new circuit board and the heater works. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheGround View Post
$334.00 later for a new circuit board and the heater works. Thanks for the advice guys.
I think most of the appliances in RVs have a 2 year warranty on them, did you check with Dometic?

-Brian
Old 09-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I agree, should be 2yrs on the furnace. I would contact Dometic, not Keystone. Did you install another Dometic board? If so Dometic should cover it, if you installed a Dinasour brand, odds are they won’t.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

$.02 worth:

Where did you get that board from? I prefer to pay about half that and you usually can. Even OEM. Check amazon and dont be afraid of dinos.

Was your board covered in epoxy? IF not...they are fixable with (better) off the shelf parts - its generally NOT the PLC - all its outputs are buffered, generally the relays go bad from cheap chinese contacts or the barely adequate TO92 trans and I have subs for each..
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #10
ChuckS

Glad you were able to get your water heater working. However.. the cost you paid for the replacement board was outrageous...

In the future do a bit more shopping around .. if time permits to be without and you will find much better prices..

That water heater most likely used either PN...
93851 or 91365

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...l-module-93851

Image shows other PN

Also since it’s a potted board repair might have been problematic. When a board like that fails yes you could perhaps replace the defective component if you have the skill sets and equipment to test the entire circuit with..

Not worth my time for the low cost of a new circuit board.

Dinasaur also makes a very good board if you ever have issues again with your new part you installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01CA375D-3958-442C-A376-49341C714B9F.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	35979  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Glad you got it fixed. That price does sound high. I believe I paid $223 for mine when it died but then again I had to make a 5 hour round trip to Valdosta GA to get it so in the end probably a wash.

As far as repairing I'm with ChuckS. I used to do repairs at a component level on circuit boards when I was paid to do it years ago. Fun and you got money to do it but parts could be hard to get, diagnosing took time, money, equipment...and did I say time?? In this day and time with the availability of cheap replacements it's far more effective, to me, to just replace the faulty widget vs keeping $5000 of test equipment laid out to save $200-300 on a board. I guess in my old age I like quick and easy vs aggravation....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
OffTheGround

Hi guys,

I appreciate the feedback on the price of the board. I understand the price is high, but I am from Canada. Parts are a considerably more money up here and the price I posted was with taxes included.

I did check out Amazon and found a few boards that were cheaper, but I couldn't wait for the uncertain delivery times. i purchased this one right from a local dealer. it was expensive, but sometimes the convenience of finding the part 20 minutes from your house out weights the savings of Amazon. Cold evenings are starting in my neck of the woods and I have a trip coming up that I needed to get this heater up and running. I will look into the possible 2 year warranty.

Tags
dometic, furnace