Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
bdoppel

Toilet leaking question

Hi Everyone!
My 2020 280bh toilet has started to leak along the base. It's *not* clean water, so I am assuming I need to replace the seal, which I can do.

My question is that when we flush the toilet, the small amount of water that is left in the bowl starts out clear, then within ~30 seconds, turns yellow. I know the tank is clean and empty and the water coming out of all the rest of the faucets is clear.

It seemed to start when the toilet started leaking, but I'm not sure if they are related.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!
bdoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, what brand toilet is it????

Thetford or Dometic ???

There have been issues with both, but not the same issue. With the water IN the bowl turning yellow when standing "above the black tank and sealed from the black tank" it appears that you have "dirty water trapped in the bowl cavity. That is probably from a defective bowl/base gasket. It's a "manufacturer's problem" and if your toilet is still in warranty, you will probably get a new toilet from the manufacturer. It's not a "Keystone warranty issue" but a "Dometic/Thetford warranty issue"....

Dealerships are "good/bad" so if you have a "good dealership" they'll likely file the warranty issues and replace the toilet under the warranty. On the other hand, if you have a "bad dealership" they'll likely tell you the toilet is bad and it's $400 to replace it, "parts and labor"... then they'll file the warranty to increase their parts inventory and profit, all at your expense....

Or, you can call Thetford/Dometic and do the replacement in your back yard.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
bdoppel

Dometic 300
bdoppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoppel View Post
Dometic 300
That toilet has a long history of bowl gasket problems. Give Dometic a call and discuss the problem. They may ship you a new toilet as a replacement. If they do, be sure to also replace the toilet seal that goes on the floor flange.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If memory serves that inner seal on the 300 is not replaceable. If Dometic will replace the toilet you might see if they would work a deal on a 310??? It's a better toilet and if going to the trouble of replacing the 300 it might be beneficial to just drop a less problematic 310 in. Just a thought.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet