Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
c-dawg

2021 Passport Window Sealant

Hi Guys,

Our family is the owner of a brand new 2021 Passport 229RKWE. This is only our second trailer, after owning our 2006 Fleetwood Prowler 220rbs, for 14 years.

One of things I pointed out during PDI, was that there was no sealant (like ProFlex) at the tops of the windows. They told me "oh, they don't do that anymore", it doesn't need to be done, so, they didn't do it.

I can see what appears to be some sort of foam, or rubber seal around the windows (they don't seem to be sucked in super tight).
Is the dealer correct, that this rubber, or foam seal, is sufficient, or, are they just passing off poor workmanship?
Should I seal the tops of these windows with clear ProFlex?

Thank-you
c-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're relatively close to your dealer, why not go back down and look (compare) the gap around the windows on other trailers sitting on his lot? It's difficult to "describe the appropriate gap" on a RV window without knowing the type (rim or rimless) without knowing the temperature (they do change gap size during the day) and without actually seeing what you're talking about "in real time"....

There is no "specific gap measurement" that can be used as a "gap limit", it's more a judgement based on how a specific window compares to other similar windows. So, if you visit your dealership and walk around the trailers sitting there, compare the way "those windows look" to the way "YOUR windows look" ... That would give you some "real world comparisons" to go by.

You might reduce the gap by tightening the windows, but if you get them "too tight" you may put enough stress on one or more of them to actually damage or even crack the glass if, on a particularly hot day, the sun heats up that "overly tight window" causing it to bulge rather than slide in the opening"... So, "too tight" is also not ideal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
c-dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're relatively close to your dealer, why not go back down and look (compare) the gap around the windows on other trailers sitting on his lot? It's difficult to "describe the appropriate gap" on a RV window without knowing the type (rim or rimless) without knowing the temperature (they do change gap size during the day) and without actually seeing what you're talking about "in real time"....

There is no "specific gap measurement" that can be used as a "gap limit", it's more a judgement based on how a specific window compares to other similar windows. So, if you visit your dealership and walk around the trailers sitting there, compare the way "those windows look" to the way "YOUR windows look" ... That would give you some "real world comparisons" to go by.

You might reduce the gap by tightening the windows, but if you get them "too tight" you may put enough stress on one or more of them to actually damage or even crack the glass if, on a particularly hot day, the sun heats up that "overly tight window" causing it to bulge rather than slide in the opening"... So, "too tight" is also not ideal.
Thank-you for your input. I'm not so much concerned about the gap, as I am the lack of Proflex-type sealant at the top of the windows. I see your point about comparing other trailers on the lot, however, due to the current nature of the RV industry, there are no other Passports on any local dealer lots to compare against (we were lucky to have gotten ours), but, I suppose, since it's a standard RV window, I could see what other manufacturers are doing. I was hoping someone could just shed some light as to whether theirs were sealed or not, since the RV lot is also by reservation only. :-(
c-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport