Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Csmccharlie

Cover Recommendations

Any recommendations for a cover to fit 2011 Passport Exp Hybrid.

20.5 ft lenght x 96" wide x 121" all

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/keystone/travel-trailer/2011/passport-express-super-lite/190-exp.html
Csmccharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Don’t do it!! Search the forum for better alternatives.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Csmccharlie

I was against the cover and was considering it again. Been back and forth like 10 times
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Just search using “covers” and get ready to read for hours. Bottom line: a good coat of a quality wax is much better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Csmccharlie

what would be a quality wax. I use Gel-Gloss wash n wax combo but Im guessing that isnt the same
Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
travelin texans

I'd recommend any cover with a roof, concrete slab, electric/water/sewer hookups next to that slab, & 3 sidewalls optional.
Other than that, wax it & park it!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmccharlie View Post
what would be a quality wax. I use Gel-Gloss wash n wax combo but Im guessing that isnt the same
I use Meguiars gold carnuba paste wax and I’m happy with it. I think any quality automotive wax is fine to use. Don’t use any wax, wash with wax, or anything else with petroleum or petroleum distillates on the roof. Petroleum products will cause your roof membrane to separate.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Automotive (RV acceptable) wax is very much a localized product. What works well in the "arid desert of the southwest with high UV exposure" is not going to be "the best choice" for the northeast coastal area with "high humidity and prolonged exposure to acid rain and saltly air"....

Just as covering an RV in an area with prevaling 40MPH winds gusting to 60MPH filled with dust/sand is different from covering an RV in the northwest where the cover will be wet from September through April and in the northeast where the cover will be frozen to the RV roof from November through April.

I can't suggest any "one wax product" that will be "the best choice in every environment around the USA"... I don't think such a single product exists.

For me, with a $35K fifth wheel, a $25K motorcycle, a $20K boat, a $30K tractor, a $4k snowblower, and many other expensive items (tools and toys), I found that investing $16K in a pole barn to put all of them inside during most of the year was a "no brainer" for this area. I'd add that I didn't have a pole barn in Louisiana, maybe didn't need one but could have protected much of my sizeable investments if I'd have had one.....

Ideally, choose a wax product that works well (with a good reputation) around your local area and save your money to build a "permanent cover for all your investments".

I suppose one way to look at it is, "Why pay $70K for a trailer and watch it deteriorate because of the perception that a $15K shelter is "too expensive" ??? YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover