Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
JoesEx

Possible Converter Issues

I think I’ve got a bad converter. Replaced 5 year old battery this week and even when plugged into shore power I run out of power after putting in slides and raising the trailer up to hitch my truck. Pulled the converter and I’m getting 11.5 dc volts output to the battery. I was expecting to see 13-15 volts output, does this sound like a failing converter ?
JoesEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesEx View Post
I think I’ve got a bad converter. Replaced 5 year old battery this week and even when plugged into shore power I run out of power after putting in slides and raising the trailer up to hitch my truck. Pulled the converter and I’m getting 11.5 dc volts output to the battery. I was expecting to see 13-15 volts output, does this sound like a failing converter ?
Couple of questions, when you measured converter output voltage was the battery connected? You must remove the battery from the system (remove the battery ground wire from the post) to check the voltage.

Do you have a battery disconnect switch and was it in the on position?

What size/type battery did you replace it with and is it new? Was the replacement battery checked? A good battery should be able to ru87n the slides in and out and raise the front if there are no issues with those systems. I say "should" because without knowing what you have I don't know if you have 6 slides run by hydraulics on a 41' fiver or you have one slide on a 19' camper.

If you place the year and model of your trailer and the truck info in your signature line it will help folks trying to help you and reduce the "back and forth" questions to get that information.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
tech740

Sounds like the disconnect is engaged making it so the batteries didn’t charge.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
ChuckS

this TS chart is all you should need along with a multi meter

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...800-Series.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
JoesEx

So after checking voltage with battery disconnected I’m getting 10.6 volts at the converter lugs with the interior lights on. The battery disconnect switch was open so the battery could charge. My replacement battery is a Duracell 27DCX deep cycle, 705 MCA @ 32, 575 CCA @ 0, 200 min. @ 23 AMP draw.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesEx View Post
So after checking voltage with battery disconnected I’m getting 10.6 volts at the converter lugs with the interior lights on. The battery disconnect switch was open so the battery could charge. My replacement battery is a Duracell 27DCX deep cycle, 705 MCA @ 32, 575 CCA @ 0, 200 min. @ 23 AMP draw.
If the battery was disconnected then that 10.6 volts is low indicating the converter is defective. Your battery may say "deep cycle" but it really isn't. It's a "dual purpose" marine "starting/deep cycle" battery. A true deep cycle battery will not have cold cracking amp rating. A deep cycle battery will have an amp hour rating only. Depending on size a 12 volt deep cycle flooded will have between 80 - 105 amp hr rating depending on size. If you lithium or gel cell batteries that can vary as prices increase.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
JoesEx

Ok thanks for all the help! Anything else I should check before ordering a new converter ? Also anything particular to keep an eye out for on a new converter or should I just get an exact replacement for what we’ve got currently ?

Tags
converter