Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #21
KeystoneKal

I have owned six travel trailers, three new and three used over the past thirty years. All have been parked at seasonal sites in the snow belt of Northeast Ohio. I have never gone to the site in winter to remove snow and none have had roof leaks.
Out in some western states where the snow is measured in feet not inches remove roof snow might be an issue.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #22
Quiroule

Mine is parked at an open windy spot and I have never cleared snow off the roof in 10 years, no problem.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #23
mjsibe

Snow removal

I just use the back side of a broom
On an extension handle
Long painting pole extends to 18 ft
Pull off as much as I can
Just to lighten the load
5 or 6 inches I let it go
But big heavy snow I pull off
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
Canadian Len

I live in Manitoba and have never cleared the snow off the roof of the trailers we’ve owned. It all blows off when we leave for California after Christmas. ��
Canadian Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #25
CWtheMan

Are your snow covered trailers being supported by the tires? How many have suffered tire failures the next traveling season? Tire damage is cumulative and they are surely damaged when they are overloaded and just sitting there.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Are your snow covered trailers being supported by the tires? How many have suffered tire failures the next traveling season? Tire damage is cumulative and they are surely damaged when they are overloaded and just sitting there.
^^^ I agree.... That's what I mentioned in the last sentence in my post #18 to this thread.... IMHO it's the tires, not the roof rafters/decking that is the "weakest link" in snow covered RV's, especially those built before the new RVIA tire standards....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #27
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
^^^ I agree.... That's what I mentioned in the last sentence in my post #18 to this thread.... IMHO it's the tires, not the roof rafters/decking that is the "weakest link" in snow covered RV's, especially those built before the new RVIA tire standards....
I don't know that I completely agree with this or I do it different. I store mine with all the jacks down. Doesn't that support the snow weight and negate it from getting to the tires? I suppose if you just use the tongue jack or landing gear it still goes on the tires. Just my thoughts. I am in Michigan, about an hour South of JRTJH and have never cleaned the roof off.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #28
notanlines

An average foot of snow on a typical Montana will weigh more than 6000 pounds. Hmmmm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #29
crk112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I don't know that I completely agree with this or I do it different. I store mine with all the jacks down. Doesn't that support the snow weight and negate it from getting to the tires? I suppose if you just use the tongue jack or landing gear it still goes on the tires. Just my thoughts. I am in Michigan, about an hour South of JRTJH and have never cleaned the roof off.
Leveling jacks might be different, but mine are stabilizer jacks and as far as I can tell they really don’t support any appreciable amount of weight at all. Just enough to “stabilize” the TT from rocking when we move around inside.

I don’t see a benefit to having mine extended in storage.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #30
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
Here's a question for my fellow northerners.

I have to store our 32RLI outside this winter. It's fully winterized and covered with a commercial RV cover.

Our first snowfall of the season left very close to 11" of white stuff. Other areas were worse off so I'm not complaining, too much.

How much snow load do you let accumulate before removing it?

What is your tested method of snow removal?

Thank you,

Scott
When I lived in Northern Ontario, well north of you, I never removed any snow. Never had any problems.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #31
Quiroule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Having the jacks down is fine if you store it on pavement or concrete. If you store it on dirt, freezing and thawing may cause the wheels to sink into the ground and put too much pressure on the jacks.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:39 AM   #32
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
Having the jacks down is fine if you store it on pavement or concrete. If you store it on dirt, freezing and thawing may cause the wheels to sink into the ground and put too much pressure on the jacks.
I put my jacks down but on well drained soil/gravel and a 2x8 or two. Never had a problem with the tires. This was in northern Ontario where we get lots of snow and cold temps. Also, as mentioned did not clear the snow from the roof.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote