Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
jayhart

Lightbulb Mounting a cargo rack to rear metal plate on 199ML

I have a Champion, gasoline-powered inverter/generator that I would like to mount on the rear of the trailer for transporting the inverter (there being no other place that makes sense on the 199ML). I have a steel mesh cargo rack that attaches to a class 3 receiver but plan to refashion it to allow mounting it to the rear metal plate that now 'serves' in place of a bumper.
I doubt the steel piece is strong enough to support the inverter (95 Lbs +/-) plus the steel mesh cargo rack, due to the torque that will be applied to the mounting point(s). Although it would add to the overall torque, I have also thought of moving the spare wheel and tire to an outboard location on the cargo rack and fashioning an angular support 'strap' between the outboard edge of the cargo rack and the original spare wheel's mounting location. I assume there must be a framing connection for the spare tire mount in the rear wall?

Yeah, I know. Crazy. I will appreciate suggestions, however.
Thank you.
jayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #2
Canonman

The only option I would consider is having a 2" receiver type hitch welded to the TT frame. Further, consider that you are altering your tongue weight by 100+ pounds by adding your generator and spare tire to the rear of the trailer axels. Personally I wouldn't do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-7909.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	20760  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The rear bumper area of any RV is the roughest riding, "bounciest" part of the trailer. Many people have reported bicycle damage, generator damage or other cargo loss/damage when transported in that area. You're probably going to experience the same as well as clearance issues when backing up ramps or other inclines as well as altered tongue weight. If you're going to mount the generator on the rear of your RV, don't rely on the OEM bumper/bumper plate. It simply isn't strong enough to support the additional weight of a rack and a generator.

Have you considered a "constructed rack" over your propane tanks? You could install one there, add to (rather than subtract from) your tongue weight, and the generator would be transported in one of the smoothest riding parts of the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is one such "A frame rack" https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/St...SABEgIi4fD_BwE

At around $200, it's also significantly less expensive than fabricating a rear receiver for most travel trailers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
jayhart

Many thanks!

Thank you to all who responded. I agree, the rear mounting idea seems sketchy at best. I'm still not convinced that adding almost another 100 Lbs to my tongue weight is a viable answer either, although it appears to be the most practical at the moment. Too bad I bought an SUV instead of another pickup...
Again, Thanks.
jayhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack