Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
M&J 2012

Clean clothes

Any ideas for washer / dryer for keeping clean clothes?
Have room for a stackable but really would not lose all the closet space.
Single unit ventless???

Or just use the campground or laundrymat?
What are some good brands?
Thanks
M&J 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
bobbecky

We decided when we bought our rig to not lose any storage space and not install a washer/dryer. We can do laundry most of the time every two weeks in a laundry, either at a park or at a laundromat in a local town, and be done in less than two hours, instead of constantly having to do many small loads. We have been doing this for almost seven years, and have not regretted not having a laundry unit. We full time, so this is not just a vacation trailer.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

^^^ What bobbecky said. We also discussed installing a washer/dryer and decided the payoff wasn't there. Why carry all that extra weight all the time for the few occasions when a laundromat is not available.
A washing machine wouldn't be all that practical when free camping because of the water it consumes and the subsequent filling of the grey water tank.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
travelin texans

If you do install w/d do the stackable. If you go combo (or stackable) DO NOT go ventless, moisure is the enemy of rvs without the dryer dumping more inside.
Also the combo takes approximately 2+ hours per small load & an iron will be mandatory, everything from socks to shirts come out very wrinkled.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
^^^ What bobbecky said. We also discussed installing a washer/dryer and decided the payoff wasn't there. Why carry all that extra weight all the time for the few occasions when a laundromat is not available.
A washing machine wouldn't be all that practical when free camping because of the water it consumes and the subsequent filling of the grey water tank.
^^^^^^^ People stay you have wash a load almost every day. I will not give up "my" closet to install W/D in our 5th wheel. DW goes to laundry mat every two weeks in the summer at our Northern park. We have full size washer and dryer in our park model in Arizona, which she REALLY likes. Chris
Old 05-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
rbrdriver

We installed the Spledide stackable w/d in our fiver and don't regret it a bit. We did have to drill a hole for the dryer vent, which was a little scary, but take your time, be sure to use a sharp hole cutter, and you'll get 'er done.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Having installed numerous washer/dryer combos and stackable, I will say IF YOU DO install, go the stackable and VENTED dryer. Spendide is the brand of choice for most manufacturers but with what they cost plus install you can do a whole lot of laundry at the clubhouse or a laundry mat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
gearhead

Don't get a Pinnacle. We bought that based on recommendation of PPL in Houston. When it broke, they wouldn't work on it. I got an authorized repairman info from Pinnacle and took it to him. He claims it's fixed and I watched one load wash and dry. My expectation of future use is low.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
rbrdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having installed numerous washer/dryer combos and stackable, I will say IF YOU DO install, go the stackable and VENTED dryer. Spendide is the brand of choice for most manufacturers but with what they cost plus install you can do a whole lot of laundry at the clubhouse or a laundry mat.
We did the install ourselves after watching several you tube videos about, so therefore we saved that part of the cost anyways.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
We did the install ourselves after watching several you tube videos about, so therefore we saved that part of the cost anyways.

Bet it was a little scary putting that 4” hole in the side!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #11
rbrdriver

It was, but we measured several times making sure it was in the right spot, and actually turned out great.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 AM   #12
Roscommon48

waste of space....in my opinion. use the laundrymat, just keep lots of quarters around.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #13
rbrdriver

Not when you are full-timing like we are and the wife and I both hate going to laundromats.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
Not when you are full-timing like we are and the wife and I both hate going to laundromats.
I agree!
We started out without a w/d for the 1st year & trying to find decent laundries at parks or in town got to be a real headache. Some laundromats were in such bad shape if we dropped an article on the floor it was best to throw it away.
I added the Splendide combo w/d to our 2nd 5er, I also was sweating bullets about drilling a 4" hole in the sidewall, which as I stated worked but took forever per load. Our next 5er got the Splendide stackable added from the factory & they worked as well as any residential set we ever had.
If a weekend warrior it would be a waste of space, but in my opinion if fulltiming it's absolutely mandatory. There's a lot of scenery to see across this big beautiful country & spending 2-3 hours in laundromat once a week across it was not a big item on our bucket list.
To each their own!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
waste of space....in my opinion. use the laundrymat, just keep lots of quarters around.
My wife said she is not putting her undies in a laundry mat washer or dryer.

We had trouble with wrinkles and the DW found some nubby balls (sorry that's the only way to describe them) at Target I think. They bounce around in the dryer and help a little.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
cliff

We have a vented Splendide washer/dryer. We use it as a hamper and when it's full we wash. When I was contracting from my fiver, I used the campground laundry. However, once someone washed a bunch of oily rags before me and ruined all of my dress shirts. A second time someone dried their beach towels and my load of clothes came out smelling like coconut oil and covered with sand. I wash in the RV.

When you put the 4" hole in the side for the vent, drill a pilot hole all the way through where they mark it. Then go outside and look. The label on the wall was located 3" more towards the front of the fiver and would have put the hole through the front cap seam. We moved the hole back 4" and missed the seam and still cut out the pilot hole.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #17
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J 2012 View Post
Any ideas for washer / dryer for keeping clean clothes?
Have room for a stackable but really would not lose all the closet space.
Single unit ventless???

Or just use the campground or laundrymat?
What are some good brands?
Thanks

We have a Splendide WD2100XC and couldn't be happier with it. It's a vented combo unit. Despite what others say we have 0 problems with wrinkled clothes. However we do the load size they recommend, which is smaller, we don't over dry which I suspect is the biggest culprit in wrinkled clothes and we take them out when they're done. My wife and I do a load about every other day. But we both hate going to laundramats so your mileage may vary.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #18
footz1941

Love our stackable vented units. Install was part of the deal when we purchased the RV. If you use the closet you probably have more weight than a washer and dryer. Every one has their own idea of what is important to them
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote