Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
mace14638

“Satellite Prep”

We have a 2019 Cougar 368MBI, still getting it all figured out. We use a Dish Network Wally receiver with h a portable, self acquiring dish.
There is only one coax input on the outside of the trailer and it has a sticker that says “satellite prep”. It works great for cable and digital antenna but when I hook the dish to it there is no signal. In order to get a signal to the receiver I’ve had to run the coax through the window and directly to the box. I’d love to be able to use the fitting that says “satellite prep”.
Any help would be fantastic! THANKS
mace14638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:25 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Maybe a silly question but here goes. Do you have a short cable running from where the satellite connection terminates at your entertainment center to the back of your receiver? I ask because I had exactly the same thing happen and then realized I had never connected the 2. Lesson learned.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
C.LeeNick

You probably already know this, particularly if you've used the external connection for cable tv, but just in case, I do remember during our walkthrough at the dealership the tech specifically stating that in order to use the external antenna/satellite connection on the outside of the rig, the internal antenna amplifier must be turned off. Apparently the antenna amplifier will affect or block the signal coming from the outside connector.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Stip8289

I have the same rig and dish set up as you , I haven’t tried to hook mine up yet as I just got it for Christmas, but I have the same questions about the hook up out side, did you figure out anything that would help me out
Stip8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
mace14638

So I figured it out and thank you all for your help! Turns out that the antenna amplifier does indeed need to be turned off. This is accomplished (on my rig) by disconnecting the small coax loop that is located behind the TV in the master bedroom.
mace14638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace14638 View Post
So I figured it out and thank you all for your help! Turns out that the antenna amplifier does indeed need to be turned off. This is accomplished (on my rig) by disconnecting the small coax loop that is located behind the TV in the master bedroom.
Most rvs the antenna booster is turned off by pressing a small button on what appears to be a cigarette lighter plug with a cable jack on it near one of the tvs, should be nothing to disconnect.
When watching tv stations from the antenna the booster must be "on", mine illuminates a small green led when on, when watching satellite or connected to park cable the booster must be "off" & anytime you change from one input to another or change locations you must go the the tv set up menu & "scan channels".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Larry1013

Here is a link to rewiring the tv antenna booster switch. Works great and simple mod.

https://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite