Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

It's not "misleading" it's "flat out lying in advertising" All of the manufacturers use "base model" figures to advertise their ratings so they can "one up the competition".... Then, they simply don't produce or sell a truck with no options..... They say it's "OK" because buyers understand it's a "base model rating" but as you can see, buyers don't understand........

OK, I'll get off my soap box.... Look at what I added to my previous post and open the driver's door to your truck. I'm betting you'll see a maximum payload of less than 2700 pounds if it's a diesel 4x4.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #22
Fishsizzle

So my apologies to those who were directing me on my trailer and it’s weight.

I thought I was in the clear, but why this wasn’t clearer to me is on me.

Again very sorry.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #23
Fishsizzle

Long story short, I think I will call my time here as a learning experience. I’ve met some great people, but I don’t want my choice of 5th wheel be a distraction now that it is beyond manufactures limitations.

It’s not my intent to hurt anyone’s conscience, or give someone an excuse to exceed anything because I make the choice to.

Thanks for letting me hang out, and putting up with my ignorances and poor attempts at humor.

Wishing smooth roads and happy wife’s,

Justin
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #24
travelin texans

Keep us posted on your inverter add on/upgrade. Maybe that info won't get hijacked.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:47 AM   #25
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

None of us have ever been in a questionable weight position. NOT! It's how we learned.

I'm interested in how your adventures go. Post pics of your unit when you get it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:57 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I think we all have some "outlaws" that we still call family members. They're still welcome at Thanksgiving and you're still welcome on the forum. There's no rule against being a forum member and being overweight. If you choose to stick around, you may find the forum as a place to get answers for other issues that are sure to come up from time to time.

You may face some "well intended suggestions" about upgrading your truck to something more capable for a large trailer, but I don't think anyone who makes a suggestion would do so to be mean, rather because they really have your safety and enjoyment as a reason to make the suggestion.

You're welcomed to stick around and contribute as well as learn.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #27
xrated

I'm with ctbruce on this......If you had been around when I was going through my woes with my then current truck, an F250 that I thought could do the job for me, you would see that most of the guys that give advice on towing/weights/weight ratings/etc, are the same guys like myself that has been through it and try very hard to keep others from making that same mistake. Many folks on here contributed to help me learn what I needed to know, not only about my then present issue, but numerous issues or questions that I've had over the 1 1/2 years that I've been on this forum. It's a very knowledgeable, helpful, great group of folks, to which I'm indebted to for their help over the time that I've been here.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and offer my apology to you for bringing up and pretty much highjacking your Convertor thread with my concerns about your future new trailer. I'll leave it at that and I sincerely hope that you will continue to be a part of this group of well intentioned folks that share the love of camping and Keystone.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #28
Ken / Claudia

Well, you always asked about the electric needs. I now suspect you did a classic BIG mistake. By not reading that vehicles yellow payload sticker, that's OK most non truck folks do not know. But, the salesman should have at least pointed his finger at it and explained it.
Also In now suspect maybe another mistake when talking about weight and RVs like ford they use different numbers than you will use. You need to use the GVWR of the trailer not the shipped weight as what it will weigh at when using.
Lastly I would hope that the RV salesman would go over the weight towing stuff before ever attempting to sell any RV but, I suspect most do not.
Last Trip to buy current RV the salesman listened to what we wanted then asked What is the tow vehicle and is it going to fit where you want to park/store it. I was impressed and he said after 20 years selling RVs we need to get that understood 1st. Many people overlook those and get buyers remorse.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote