Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Msmith2054

Spring break first trip ideas?

Hi all! Looking for ideas to take my fam on our first trip in our “new to us” Laredo 291TG. Most important thing is that our 10 year old girl and 11 year old boy stay interested and active wherever we go. Also, the CG must be within an 8 hour drive of Savannah GA.
So far we are debating Anastasia Park in St Augustine, somewhere near Maggie Valley NC, Rocks Pond CG in Ewtawville, or Hunting Island which is just right around the corner from Home (in case we forget something).
What are the favorites?
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
ken56

All depends on what your interests are. I will give a thumbs up for Maggie Valley area...only because I live in East TN and am sorta familiar. In Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time Museum, very cool for old motorcycle and car enthusiasts. close by is the Biltmore estate too in Asheville. If you have never been there its worth seeing. Expect a full day there if you do. Then you have Cherokee NC close by too and it has the Museum of the Cherokee Indian. Interesting and educational. A day trip into Gatlinburg is easy to do too from Maggie Valley, plus the Smoky Mountain National Park
is great to go through, at least up to Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome. Lots to do there and if you golf Maggie Valley Country Club is very nice.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer is "new to you" and has not yet been "lived in by your family" so chances are that you'll have a list of forgotten items as well as the possibility that something won't work "up to expectations" or that you'll need a tool/equipment that's sitting in the garage at home. The further you plan your "very first trip" from home, the more potential that you'll need to buy something that you have already.

I'd suggest the first trip be an "all inclusive, enjoy everything trip" that's planned close to home. As you say, if you need something, it's not as far to "run home and get it".... For the kids, it's more about enjoying the campground, the trailer and the new adventure and less about sitting in the back seat for hours and hours.....

I'd suggest reservations at a local (or relatively close to home) campground that's got some of the things that would interest the kids. Keep them eager to "do it again" and that battle is yours to win. Being close to home will also give you a chance to check out every system on the trailer without having to drag it back home with problems because you didn't have the tools on hand and didn't want to buy a replacement for something you've already got, sitting on the shelf at home......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
labman

I am very familiar with Maggie Valley area as well. Keeping the kids entertained there vs a beach? Ha! Go to Florida. DW and I were traveling to MV area twice a year over the last 5 years since the grandkids all lived there. We would rent a house (VRBO) in the hills over Maggie and the kids were all 9yo or younger. tough to keep em entertained there. the drive in the mountains would get old for them but you would like it. we went to Dollyworld and spent a half a years wages to get the 8 of us in and feed em. The beach would keep the kids entertained and cost nothing. just my 2 cents. Joeys pancake house in Maggie is good for breakfast.....
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

To stay under 8 hrs drive, Huntsville AL is good. There is the US Rocket and Space center and nearby is Cathedral Cavern. Both are very Kid friendly especially the Space place. They have "Space Camp" there and a lot of the place is oriented towards kids. Monte Sano park is a really good park with great facilities. At night it lights up with gazillions of fireflies.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Gegrad

We have been to Hiawassee, GA, and stayed up there. That was a great trip.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Slowdown

For my first trip I would probably stick closer to home than 8 hours. Jekyll Island, just south of you down 95 would be a good family destination this time of year.
Slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I agree on keeping the maiden voyage a short one. Not only will you forget things to take but you don't want your shakedown cruise to be so far that you dread the drive home. That's a lot of trailer if you don't have a 3/4 ton or better truck. A short first trip on a known/ familiar route will give you an opportunity to see how the rig works together and make adjustments to the weight dist bars, weight loading, etc. without second guessing if it's the road or your tow vech. causing an issue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
Msmith2054

Thanks everybody! Choice has been made for St Augustine. Reservations made at Compass RV Park. This place seems really nice, decent rates, and close to,places we want to go.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #10
TLB

We are going to have to sneak in a trip sometime because our son plays baseball and travel soccer and we are all over the state of Michigan from mid April to early June.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote