Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
marski13

Smoke from a/c unit/ heater

When I turn my back unit on to heat I get a lot of smoke from it....i get it, it's like Turning your heat on at home during the 1st cold snap at home. This heater is still smoking after letting it run for 30min...not sure if this is normal. Any suggestions??

2017 keystone Laredo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Dave W

If it's a Dometic a/c, there are a couple of covers. one of which is a bug screen about 3x4 inches forr the heat element, the other for wiring. I would suggest that you pull the ceiling panel off** and make sure that something didn't shake down and lodge between that bug screen and the heat coil. The other should be not have any real access for crud. Aby other brand, probably similar. As a note, there is very little on that coil that will burn off and cause more the a light momentary odor as I found when installing our heat coil

**The paperwork supplied with the RV should have a set of the installation instructions for tha a/c. If not, they can be found on the net. Not a tough job for someone with at least 3 or 4 hands though with only two ...
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

New furnaces will produce smoke for a while the first time. Your dealer may not have done a proper PDI. I have ran furnaces for 1/2 hr or more to clear up the smoke.

I would shut it off. Let it set for 1/2 hr and then try again. If it creates another heavy smoke cloud, it needs to go back for warranty service. It can take a few cycles to clear all the oils.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
marski13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
New furnaces will produce smoke for a while the first time. Your dealer may not have done a proper PDI. I have ran furnaces for 1/2 hr or more to clear up the smoke.

I would shut it off. Let it set for 1/2 hr and then try again. If it creates another heavy smoke cloud, it needs to go back for warranty service. It can take a few cycles to clear all the oils.
Thanks, I will check it. I just don't want to burn the trailer down....

Old 12-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
marski13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If it's a Dometic a/c, there are a couple of covers. one of which is a bug screen about 3x4 inches forr the heat element, the other for wiring. I would suggest that you pull the ceiling panel off** and make sure that something didn't shake down and lodge between that bug screen and the heat coil. The other should be not have any real access for crud. Aby other brand, probably similar. As a note, there is very little on that coil that will burn off and cause more the a light momentary odor as I found when installing our heat coil

**The paperwork supplied with the RV should have a set of the installation instructions for tha a/c. If not, they can be found on the net. Not a tough job for someone with at least 3 or 4 hands though with only two ...
May need some help on this one....i will look into this. Thanks for the response.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Just now noticed you said from the rear AC unit, NOT the furnace....I need a day off LOL!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
marski13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Just now noticed you said from the rear AC unit, NOT the furnace....I need a day off LOL!!!
This is all new to me...i have 2 units in the trailer, (sitting area) one provides heat and a/c that's the one smoking.

Tags
heat, heater