Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
kcardenas

lights/electric brakes

how can I get a wiring schematic for my Keystone passport 2016 3290bh?
had a flat and tore out the wiring to the lights land electric brakes. got the brakes to work but the lights are not; when you connect the two green wires the lights come on but also locks the electric brakes? Any suggestions?
kcardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone does not provide electrical, plumbing or chassis/structural blueprints or schematics for any of their products. Dealers also have the same problems that owners have and can not get that information from the factory. All I could suggest is that you look at the wiring "in front of the damaged area" and "behind the damaged area" and use wiring to "connect the similar colors" after which you may need to do some troubleshooting to confirm the connections.

Frustrating, absolutely, but owners have been asking for schematics and diagrams since I've been on this forum and none have ever been successful in getting their hands on the information.

Good Luck !!!!!

ADDED: It sounds like you've got your running lights and brake lights tied together "somewhere"... There's no other reason for the brakes to be activated when "the two green wires are connected"... Somewhere, (probably ahead of the damage) you're activating the brakes. If I remember correctly (and I may very well be wrong) there are three wires to the rear lights, brown, yellow and green. One is for tail/running lights, one for left brake/turn signal and one for right brake/turn signal. All 4 brake assemblies are "tied together", so you may need sit and stare at it for a while and think through the connections.

again, good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
kcardenas

Thanks John. We agree on what you posted. some how before the damage is where the green wires for the lights are activating the brakes, maybe a ground shorting out? but ir you connect the greens seperate, the lights work and activate the brakes, but disconnect the green wires, no lights but the breaks are also not activated.
will keep trying different connections.
kcardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to go to the front of the trailer and look at the color wire on Pin #2. That's the trailer brake wire, I believe it's blue. You don't want to tie the brake magnets to the left/right stop/brake light wiring. If you do, then when you activate a turn signal, you'll be "bouncing your brakes"....

You've probably got another wire in the damaged section that you're missing.... I'd look for a blue wire, or double check what color wire is used for YOUR (they may be different) trailer in the junction box on the trailer tongue. Whatever color runs back to the brakes from Pin #2 is what you'll be looking for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
BuxCamper

Can you compare against the undamaged side?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
Can you compare against the undamaged side?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
The wiring to the rear lights and the brakes is only on one side.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I guess you could go by colors but I never try to rewire anything without a meter. If the wire is "hot" it's going to activate whatever you tie it to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, light, lights