Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 AM   #1
Tomurphjr

Question 2007 Ford Expedition and Passport 3320BH

Hello all. First post.

My wife and are looking to get a larger trailer and she is in love with the floor plan of the 3320bh. I'm on the fence as to whether we can tow it safely. Below are the specs on the truck and trailer. I know the hitch/tongue weight is without propane, battery and the weight of the equalizer hitch.

Truck is a 2007 Ford Expedition (none EL) 4x2 with the tow package and rated to tow 9200lbs and 920 hitch weight. Prodigy P3 brake controller and equalizer W/ 10,000 bars.

Trailer is a Keystone Passport 3320BH

Shipping Weight 6586
Carrying Capacity 1414
Hitch 690
Length* 36' 10"

We only go camping for the weekend within an hour or so away because we have two small kids, one and three years old. But I'd like to be able to not worry about keeping the distance close because I have to much trailer.

I'm not overly concerned with the weight of the trailer loaded, but more so with the hitch weight when it's all said and done as well as the length of the trailer. The reason I'm not to worried about the weight is because we never dry camp. We are more of the camping resort type people with hookups, dumps, electricity, and cable TV.

Back to the hitch weight.
Tongue of trailer is 690 as it sits. Battery, propane, equalizer and cargo in the truck. Now I know I would need to get weight to make sure, but that's after the fact of buying the trailer. Opinions on whether it's to much would be great.

Lastly, I currently tow a 27 ft North Trail that I bought out in Ohio and drove it home to Newport News VA two years ago with the same truck setup and not one issue at all with sway from 18 wheelers, etc. The 3320 is 10 feet longer and I'm concerned it's to long for the truck.

If this is to much trailer for the truck, the other trailer that I like.. wife is ok with it if we can't pull this one is the coachman apex 300bhs. It's about the same length but lighter.

A bunkhouse slide is a must. If not, then we will just keep what we have. We would rather not have the swivel TV from out bedroom to the main area as well as no pocket doors. The kitchen island is what my wife loves as well as the storage for the 3320BH.

Thank you all in advance for reading and options. If I spelled some wrong or double typwd, etc, I'm doing this from my phone.

Thanks Tommy
Tomurphjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #2
BlueThunder34

What is the payload rating on the yellow sticker, located on the inside of the driver door? I would be concerned with that number as well as the fact that the trailer is 36' in length. That's a lot of sidewall ( think of it as a big wind sail) for the size of that tow vehicle.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #3
Tomurphjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
What is the payload rating on the yellow sticker, located on the inside of the driver door? I would be concerned with that number as well as the fact that the trailer is 36' in length. That's a lot of sidewall ( think of it as a big wind sail) for the size of that tow vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. I'll get that info this evening. I just read the combined weight can be no more than 15,000lbs loaded. I know the 9200 is for a 150lbs driver and a tank of gas. Anymore than that, subtract. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking no on the trailer. Bummer as there are no coachman dealers with 200miles of me to lay eyes on the other one I/we like.

Upgrading the tow vehicle is not an option right now for us.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
smokeater

I tow a 2014 30 REPR with my 09 Expedition with a 5.4l motor. The trailer listed weights are very similar to yours and your set up sounds similar to mine. I have had no issues at all, it tows very well and the truck isn't working very hard. I also believe that by weighing so much, the expy itself is over 6000 lbs., i don't worry about the "tail wagging the dog" issue........
smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
Tomurphjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
I tow a 2014 30 REPR with my 09 Expedition with a 5.4l motor. The trailer listed weights are very similar to yours and your set up sounds similar to mine. I have had no issues at all, it tows very well and the truck isn't working very hard. I also believe that by weighing so much, the expy itself is over 6000 lbs., i don't worry about the "tail wagging the dog" issue........
I just looked it up and they are pretty close in specs. Thanks for your input.

Have you traveled very far with it? How big is your family, etc?
Old 08-18-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Tomurphjr

I'm reading and reading but still confused and concerned about the hitch weight.

690lbs as the trailer sits, with 230lbs to spare. I don't like getting close to max.. so what's the rule of thumb with hitch weight? 10% 20%? Add a battery, fill the propane tanks, connect the equalizer and somehow factor in everything in the vehicle. I believe the equalizer hitch is about 100lbs.. so do you cut that in half since it's distributing the weight? I'm thinking not, but want to make sure. If not, we are at 790lbs without a battery or propane and us.

320ish lbs between my wife and I. Kids are 50lbs combined, plus car seats. We usually throw a stroller and a few odds and ends in the back of the truck. Trailer normally is loaded lightly for the weekend. Fridge inside and out are full.

Maybe I'm over thinking this..
Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
busterbrown

That trailer may be just little too long for your short wheelbase TV to handle. I tow a 35 foot Bullet with a Yukon XL Denali and wouldn't consider going longer on the trailer's length. The Yukon's "XL" variant is Ford's equivalent "EL". I have about 15" of more wheel base and a foot and a half less trailer.

My trailer is almost 500 lbs lighter dry than yours too. You're payload capacity will be tested especially as you load cargo into your Expy. We load everything other than the humans into the trailer to keep our payload in check.

Between the forementioned short wheelbase and the underpowered 5.4L Triton powerplant, you may find anything longer than a very local trip unpleasant. My Denali has about 100 more HP and 50 more ft lbs of torque and I know it would struggle with anything heavier than my 2 slide-out Bullet. I'm around 7400 lbs loaded. In fact, I would have preferred an opposing kitchen slide with center island but I knew my truck's limitations.

I recently had to invest a couple thousand dollars in a Hensley Arrow hitch as I had a jaw dropping, white knuckle experience on a return trip from western Michigan. 30+ MPH crosswinds making me cuss all the way home; I wouldn't want to test the waters with a short wheelbase 1/2 ton SUV pulling max loads.

I'm usually an advocate for half ton trucks and their towing abilities. But in your scenario, I'd think you'd be pushing that Expy beyond it's capabilities.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
mfifield01

I have a 2810bh and feel that it is the longest trailer for my current wheelbase. My wheelbase is about 30" longer than yours, so I would personally go with a 26xx model or smaller with your TV.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2007 Ford Expedition wheelbase is 119" (non EL) and the EL version wheelbase is 131".

The "generally accepted" formula for tow vehicle/trailer length formula starts with a 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and adds 1 foot of trailer length for every 4" of wheelbase, so a trailer 37' long (3220BH) would be 17' of additional length x 4" or about 68 "extra inches" of wheelbase, meaning a tow vehicle wheelbase of around 178". This "generally accepted" formula doesn't include provisions for some of the modern advances in towing such as electronic stability, automatic electronic anti-sway control and 4 point sway control hitches. So, some "consideration" for technology would be appropriate, but I don't think you can "reduce that 178" recommendation down to your 119" wheelbase and "feel certain" that you won't encounter significant control issues in adverse conditions.

We all "tend to wish for ideal situations" and many of us "focus our equipment" for those conditions. But, as many people have learned, when you're 300 miles from home, late on a Sunday evening, in 30 MPH crosswinds and facing a Monday morning work schedule, you're not always given the opportunity to "sit it out" until the weather improves. Being "woefully under prepared" significantly increases the risks you place on your family's safety.

Is it worth it to tow "over your margins" ? Only you can decide. I wouldn't even consider it for my family or those with whom I share the road (yes, perfect strangers can be impacted by bad choices).

Remember also, you're considering your two children as "50 pounds and 2 carseats" right now. In 12 to 24 months, that calculation will be closer to 100 pounds, 2 carseats and the toys/tricycles/bicycles they won't leave home without. As they grow, you'll have to include their friends, cousins and even more toys to keep them occupied when you camp. That will dramatically increase the weight requirement they impose on your "recreational setup"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Your question about how to figure real tongue wt. As I recall my trailer booklet listed 590. The scale showed 960 when traveling to camp. 2 people for 3 days. Fresh water tank full, full propane, 2 batteries. A couple of camp chairs and tools in cargo area. Weight adds up faster than most think.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
Tomurphjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 2007 Ford Expedition wheelbase is 119" (non EL) and the EL version wheelbase is 131".

The "generally accepted" formula for tow vehicle/trailer length formula starts with a 110" wheelbase for a 20' trailer and adds 1 foot of trailer length for every 4" of wheelbase, so a trailer 37' long (3220BH) would be 17' of additional length x 4" or about 68 "extra inches" of wheelbase, meaning a tow vehicle wheelbase of around 178". This "generally accepted" formula doesn't include provisions for some of the modern advances in towing such as electronic stability, automatic electronic anti-sway control and 4 point sway control hitches. So, some "consideration" for technology would be appropriate, but I don't think you can "reduce that 178" recommendation down to your 119" wheelbase and "feel certain" that you won't encounter significant control issues in adverse conditions.

We all "tend to wish for ideal situations" and many of us "focus our equipment" for those conditions. But, as many people have learned, when you're 300 miles from home, late on a Sunday evening, in 30 MPH crosswinds and facing a Monday morning work schedule, you're not always given the opportunity to "sit it out" until the weather improves. Being "woefully under prepared" significantly increases the risks you place on your family's safety.

Is it worth it to tow "over your margins" ? Only you can decide. I wouldn't even consider it for my family or those with whom I share the road (yes, perfect strangers can be impacted by bad choices).

Remember also, you're considering your two children as "50 pounds and 2 carseats" right now. In 12 to 24 months, that calculation will be closer to 100 pounds, 2 carseats and the toys/tricycles/bicycles they won't leave home without. As they grow, you'll have to include their friends, cousins and even more toys to keep them occupied when you camp. That will dramatically increase the weight requirement they impose on your "recreational setup"...
Thank you for the thought out answer. Of course my family is my main concern and I will plan accordingly with that in mind. Worst case, we keep the trailer we currently have until we can upgrade our tow vehicle.

I will say, going by your logic, a 2002 f250 crew cab 8 foot bed would be to short to tow this trailer safely as its only 172".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Your question about how to figure real tongue wt. As I recall my trailer booklet listed 590. The scale showed 960 when traveling to camp. 2 people for 3 days. Fresh water tank full, full propane, 2 batteries. A couple of camp chairs and tools in cargo area. Weight adds up faster than most think.
Curious, is your kitchen in the front of the trailer? We don't dry camp so I've never carried water. But that's not to say I wouldn't in the future.. never say never. From what I can tell on my current trailer, the holding tanks are toward the rear of it.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomurphjr View Post
Thank you for the thought out answer. Of course my family is my main concern and I will plan accordingly with that in mind. Worst case, we keep the trailer we currently have until we can upgrade our tow vehicle.

I will say, going by your logic, a 2002 f250 crew cab 8 foot bed would be to short to tow this trailer safely as its only 172".
You're correct in making the assumption that a 172" wheelbase (when equipped with a conventional weight distribution hitch and a single sway control bar) would likely be "inadequate" to tow a 37' travel trailer. That's precisely who so many people who tow RV's in that size range have opted to step into a fifth wheel.

The "old conventional wisdom" recommended that anything longer than about 24' be pulled by something with "at least" a wheelbase equal to a regular cab, long bed pickup (about a 131" wheelbase). That's why almost everyone in the "Airstream era" towed with a Suburban or in the "early days" with an International Travel All.

There is an "old thread" on the forum submitted by an experienced trailer owner who was towing in Florida (flat, open highway) with an Excursion and a travel trailer about 33' or 34' long. A sudden, unexpected gust of wind (if I remember the circumstances correctly) caused him to lose control and he ended "upside down" with the trailer on its side. It all happened without warning, in a "split second" and the result was catastrophic. And, he was towing with, what was, at that time, the heaviest "SUV" in the market with a trailer several feet smaller than your selection. If we could all "manage the conditions in which we tow" then "pushing the size envelope" would be less dangerous, but since we're subject to so many unexpected conditions, being able to maintain control is vitally important. Being "at the edge of the maximum size and weight just adds to the potential for a bad outcome.

The problem you'll likely face is controllability with "sidewind pushing" or with emergency maneuvering. You can eliminate much of that with a Hensley/ProPride hitch, but with your payload/family growth/current tongue weight projections, it's unlikely you could add the 200 pounds that hitch would bring to the combination without pressing "uncomfortably close" to your maximum GVW and possibly the GCWR of your Expedition. Your vehicle is already 10 years old, so regardless of its maintenance, upkeep, mileage and condition, the "technology" just isn't there to equal a "modern tow vehicle"... Don't take that as a "slam", it's not intended as such, but only as a statement that a lot of the "good stuff" wasn't available on your vehicle and if I'm not mistaken, the 5.4L in 2007 was the 2 valve version. If so, then you're facing an even greater strain than the more current 3 valve versions of the same size engine/transmission technology.

Having pulled a 34' Holiday Rambler with a 99 SuperDuty diesel, I can tell you that even with a "long wheelbase, heavy truck, the side winds, 18 wheeler "push" and the unexpected traffic changes can be taxing. Trying that same towing environment with a "lightweight" trailer, "barely adequate" tow vehicle and I think you'd be an "open invitation" for an accident, should any unwelcome events to occur when you least expect them......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Laredo291OH

Here is my experience with a very similar trailer that has been pulled with 3 different vehicles. I have a 2011 Laredo 291TG which was listed as a 29' trailer that weighs about 6500 lbs with a gross of 8200. I see on the Passport website that the 36'10" length includes the tongue and bumper, so my Laredo would be about 35' including the tongue and bumper. The first vehicle I used was a 2009 GMC Yukon. I experienced a lot of sway with the Yukon, so I replaced the P tires with LT and added a Reese Dual Cam hitch, neither worked (enough). I didn't know about the wheelbase formula but assumed the problem was too soft of a rear suspension and running too close to the max numbers. I upgraded my truck to a 2010 GMC 2500HD crew cab standard bed gasser, what a difference. The trailer pulled great, no sway at all. It didn't matter what I was passing or what was passing me, weather or crosswinds. I towed that trailer all over the east coast, to Florida and Montana from Ohio with never an issue. Three weeks ago I upgraded truck again in hopes of getting a 5th wheel. This time I went all in with a 2016 Silverado 3500HD crew cab long bed SRW with the Duramax. I setup the hitch again, just like I did on the last 2 vehicles taking all the measurements and making all the adjustments. Due to the height of the truck, trailer and the shank for my Reese Dual Cam hitch I couldn't get the trailer level, it either had to be nose low by about 1" or nose high by about 2". On the first setup I went with nose down. Towed to our first camping site about 3 hours away and noticed sway several times. When we got back I made a trip to the CAT scales and headed to a flat parking lot. Went thru all of the hitch setup again, taking all of the measurements etc. This time I went with the nose high and last weekend we headed out on a 10 hour drive, what a terrible setup. I had more sway with that trailer behind a 1 ton truck (that is the longest wheelbase available) than I had behind the Yukon (one of the shortest wheelbase). Proved to myself that just a larger tow vehicle isn't the answer, you also need the hitch to be setup correctly. I also think that sway is a very personal feeling, meaning some people are more sensitive to it than others. That is why some people will say they towed a 35' travel trailer behind a Yugo with no problem while others will say that a popup swayed terribly behind a semi tractor. In the end, I believe you need a vehicle that is within the manufacturers specs AND the correct hitch setup.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #14
Ken / Claudia

On my trailer the fresh tank is foreword, galley tank rear, black and other gray somewhere between the others. On my signature the RK part of the trailer model means rear kitchen. If you tow with or without fresh water is up to you. After needing the bathroom during travel and no fresh water on board, that flush with bottled water was to much. I will always have at least 1/3 fresh tank, just in case. Also safer for the family to use the trailer bathroom than the highway rest stop restrooms.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #15
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Proved to myself that just a larger tow vehicle isn't the answer, you also need the hitch to be setup correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
In the end, I believe you need a vehicle that is within the manufacturers specs AND the correct hitch setup.
You've hit the nail right on the head. Stay within your trucks capacities and have the appropriate hitch properly set up. Many on these RV boards are driven by the thought that you need the largest truck possible to move anything larger than a 24 foot lightweight.

I was in the same belief system 5 weeks ago coming back from a camping excursion in 30 MPH crosswinds. I corrected my hitch setup with a Hensley Arrow and just keep a conservative eye on both vehicle's weights. My 1500 is probably more stable than many 3/4 and full ton trucks I've seen out there. A 800 mile trip 2 weeks ago proved it when my wife commented on how easy it was to drive the rig 5 hours while I slept. Plus I saved over $40K and it's convenient to operate as a daily driver. Am i showing my Hensley fanboy colors yet? lol
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
Tomurphjr

Thanks all for the feedback.