Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
talk2cpu

Can't believe we made it!

OK, first off I want to ask how much friction is created in the receiver by the draw bar when using an WD hitch?
Anyone know???????

Well it is enough, when forgetting to put the pin in, the drawbar only moved out about 1/2" in 300+ miles. At least on my rig.

Won't make that mistake again. Should have stopped and bought a lottery ticket with all the luck that was with us.

Safe travels and don't do what I do, do what I say!
PUT THE PIN IN!
Tom
Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Tbos

Glad you made it safely. Lesson learned.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Wow. Glad nobody got killed. It probably wouldn't have been you.

Lot of force, for sure... depending on size of trailer, WD bars and how "tight" you have them.

Braking probably exerts more force (depending on brakes, engine and driving habits), but still consider you lucky.

Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Thank your "lucky stars" !!!

All the more reason to make sure the safety chains are properly secured on the trailer A frame, appropriate length and not connected to the "hitch head".

And: Make sure the breakaway cable is appropriately attached to a part of the tow vehicle (other than the hitch) and is also adjusted to the appropriate length.

Sometimes, "things just happen" but having a checklist and going by it "every time" helps prevent "catastrophic failures"...........

You were "living right" for sure !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

One thing to ponder...

An accident report would probably list as negligence and not accident/equipment failure (or whatever the legalese).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
notanlines

Talk, first let me thank you for being open about it. Your situation certainly gives us all an opportunity to rethink our own ways of doing things. Secondly, let me say that these procedures should always be done YOURSELF and those wishing to help should go get us a cup of coffee. We have discussed to no end the do-gooders who immediately converge on your RV when you enter your site.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Alpine

I'm with notanlines on this one! It gives us all pause to be extra diligent in our hook-up and break-down procedures. Sorry about those who take opportunity to "kick you when you're down".

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

x2 ^^

It's a thought provoking situation for all of us. I am really surprised something bad didn't happen and very thankful it didn't. You SHOULD have bought a pocket full of lottery tickets!!

I've made my share of mistakes (almost drove off with the power cord still connected to my truck when dropping it off at the storage building the other day - thought of it and hit the brakes about the time my wife yelled) so thanks for sharing.

My hitch pin has a lock that is keyed to my truck key. I leave the key in the lock when messing with it and can't go anywhere until I've taken care of the pin.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Thank you for sharing. We've all had close calls, but the reminder, keeps us fresh!

I have only one rule while hooking up or unhooking...NO wife, NO grandkids, NO dogs, NO neighbors, NO help.

Start to finish, my rule is to go straight thru the numbers with no interruptions tolerated! After forty + years, my lists are all mental not on paper, but my game plan is carved in stone.

I have, however, walked my two older grandsons thru the process a few times as part of the "learning curve" for them, but I then do a solo walk around, and visual inspection.

Safe Camping, and Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
SLIMSHADIE

Had a buddy do the same thing, drove 3 1/2 hours without a hitch pin in the reciever. First truck and camper, didnt know any better....

True story and they are out there, godspeed!!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

About accident reports, here in Oregon around 1990 the name was changed to crash report, in Oregon there are no vehicle accidents only crashes due to most were not a accident.
But, that was good news nothing bad happened. Thanks for sharing, it is just another reminder. Check everything over maybe 2 or 3 times before travel. Check most stuff again at rest stops or end of day. When the wife comes over and asks when are we leaving as you are doing your check list. Be nice give her the how long it will take. Than start your check list over again. Been there done that. Safe travels.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote