Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #41
mgreene

My biggest issue at purchase was price. I could not find a decent diesel with less than 100k miles in my 20-30k budget. Since we had just purchased a new TT and really hadn’t planned on a truck this was an issue. If not, I would have basically been stuck in the yard unable to use the camper. In that price range, every diesel I found was 250k miles plus. Although I know there’s still plenty of life at that point, from people I’ve talked to that’s where they started getting the major maintenance cost
Old 11-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #42
mgreene

If I had 60-80k to spend, I would definitely have a brand spanking new diesel to tie to my bumper beast in the yard! We are already looking to the future when the kids get out and we can move to a 5th wheel with maybe a cargo bay for grown up toys and a master bedroom slide instead of a bunkhouse with a slide! Maybe then I can buy new or nearly new. Haven’t heard of near as much trouble with the diesels below 250k miles. I guess I can still dream!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #43
adeakins

Prices are eastern U.S. … Florida being the worst last I looked. The V10 was a disappointment, to be sure. The new 7.3 is a world apart from that. No diesel braking and that was a concern I had going into this. But, my truck will hold it’s speed downhill on steep grades (6%+) with the “beast” pushing it and no brakes. All done via the 10-speed. I’m sure it’s not as good in the niches as diesel - I only have my previous 7.3 diesel to compare / contrast - but it seems more than adequate so far.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #44
adeakins

I forgot, the operating costs costs comparisons - except for fuel costs which were my observations were distilled from various automotive mags published studies.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #45
German Shepherd Guy

Hello MGREENE. I have a 2012 2500 Suburban which I think is on the same frame as your 2013 PU. Anyway my 6.0 gets 14 around town (sometimes even pushes 15) and 8 to 10 when towing my 26RBPR. I have the 6.0 in my 2005 3500 box van. It gets 10 to 12 (sometimes up to14) without towing and 8 to 10 when towing the same trailer. I live at 8,000ft and so the computer adjust the fuel intake to match the air pressure and so I run a bit lean up here. My experience is when I go down and approach sea level my mileage gets worse. So I am thinking that as you are in NC, and at lower altitude, your mileage sounds consistent with my two 6.0s. Perhaps you could get a map change in your computer which would lean down your mix and maybe get you up to 14 around town but not sure what the other effects on the engine might be for running lean at, or near, sea level. Fortunately I do not have to use the Suburban as my daily driver, for that I have a '98 Subaru Outback which gets 30mpg fairly consistently. It can tow a small water trailer (250 gallons) with no problem and has all wheel drive for our mountain winters. Around here old ones are dirt cheap, might be something you could think about.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #46
mgreene

Thanks Shepherd Guy, this is not my daily driver. I live about 50 miles away from work so I have a Mercury car I use to commute mainly. Also have my wife’s Equinox as a family vehicle but seems this crew cab truck has been our go to most of the time since we got it. I knew the altitude would change things up some but didn’t realize they would make it run that much leaner. Something I will definitely watch when we drive to the mountains unloaded next weekend! Thanks for the insight!
Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
Not sure how to attach photo. The truck is really, really big and very, very white. Also, back in May of this year, extremely difficult to find. Oddly enough, my previous puller was an F250 7.3 diesel. This gas gets about the same mileage but tows up steep inclines better. The V10 has, I’m told, a good bit less torque than this one which has only slightly less torque than is Ford diesel counterpart. Configured the way mine is, it’s rated to pull 22,000 lbs. also, this one came with a 48 gal tank which makes fuel stops less frequent but leaves you looking for “90 days same as cash” options at the pump. Burns regular, though, so that helps. And, yes; this and all other pickup trucks are grossly over priced for what you get … new and used.

To attach a pic, use the advanced function when you reply. Scroll down a tad and click manage attachments. Then you can browse for the pic(s) you want to post. Select them from a file manager type tool and then click upload and they will be inserted where you leave your cursor. I had a crew cab 96 F250 prior with the ever thirsty 460 cubic engine monster gas guzzler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	30904  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not sure where you're located but here in Arizona, for now, gas & diesel are only a couple cents difference with occasionally the gas being the higher of the 2, with premium gas being 40-60 cents higher than diesel.
Haven't towed heavy with the 7.3 so have no knowledge of its capabilities, but did tow with the V10 Ford, a couple GM V8s & had 2 diesel GMCs & towing with a gasser in no way compares to towing with a diesel, especially the newer ones with the tow/haul & exhaust brake.
Drove those 2 GMC diesels as daily drivers for 15+ years while towing 16.5k 5th wheels across the country fulltiming. The argument that the maintenance is so much more with a diesel can't be verified by my experience. All require periodic maintenance, the diesels just go further between those intervals.
Also I think some still equate a diesel with the rattling, noisy, smelly, black smoke belching things from the past! Not so with the ones of the last 15 years or so. You could stop next to one nowadays & unless you saw the diesel badging on the fender you'd not know it was a diesel.

Gas was a buck sixty something today at Wallys in Castroville and diesel a buck 80 something. I topped off the tank as we are out of town after Turkey day.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #49
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You have my dream truck and it would be cruel if you didn't post a picture. I will likely never buy another truck and will make this one last but I really wanted a gasser V10 and then when the 7.3 came out, I was tempted but a new 1 ton costs more than I can afford.
Wired nice truck pictured above. I've always been a little partial to GM, but the 2017+ Super Duty's are gorgeous and I've been drooling all over those 7.3L gassers - so I feel ya bro

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #50
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
Wired nice truck pictured above. I've always been a little partial to GM, but the 2017+ Super Duty's are gorgeous and I've been drooling all over those 7.3L gassers - so I feel ya bro

When pricing used heavy duty trucks, you will find that Fords are the cheapest and cheap is important to me. Bought the clunker for a bit less than $7K and have put around $4K into the truck and it is now stone cold reliable and runs great and that includes a new front end, new tires, brakes, etc. and the normal Superduty related slight upgrades. I tried several times to pick up a 6.2 F350 but they get scooped up immediately since the smaller gas engine is not very popular although much better than the 5.4L. I had a 96 F250 with 7.5L and it pulled great and was stone cold reliable BUT the brakes were HORRIBLE and every panel on the inside had been removed at one time or the other and it rattled to the point of annoying; had over 1/4 million miles and I sold it for a profit as mid-90s Ford trucks seem to be kind of sought after. Not sure why as they were nothing special. Must be the good looks get the young gal's hearts aflutter!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #51
adeakins

My F350 7.3 and Montana

2020 7.3 gas F350 Dually and its “pull toy”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA9975EB-5D3F-4D37-BEF7-E4EF4D5E19BD.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	30905  
Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #52
Inspector222

Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreene View Post
So from everything I’m seeing I don’t think I’m far off at all with mine. It does get a mpg or so better when running high test gas. Looks like even the newer trucks are real close on towing mpg! Just all seem to get better empty. Going to continue without the tuner for now unless I find one that will help constantly! Thanks for all the replies!
I agree with and earlier response about using the website tiresize.com and their calculator to correct your mileage calculation.
I hope you are not relying on the factory mileage gauge.
Correct your calculations with tiresize.com and try several tanks of gas to be sure you get accurate responses.
Good luck and I hope your number when empty will increase.
Inspector222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #53
mgreene

Today was the first real city test I have done since the major tune up,,,plugs and wires(maybe not so major)! I got about 12.5 and almost all this tank was unloaded. I still have a new transmission filter to put in it hopefully one night this week before running up to the mountains Friday morning. I think it should increase a little out on the Hwy with the cruise set! I have looked at several of the cold air intake/ breather upgrades and think that may be my 1st mod. I had a k&n setup on a 1992 f150 with the 5.0 but never saw it helped much. It was on it when I purchased it. It would only get 10 mpg on a perfect day, downhill, and drafting behind an 18 wheeler! When I hooked my 12’ open trailer with 3 atvs to it, it dropped closer to 5mpg and struggled the whole time! I’ve read some decent reviews on putting that same setup on the 6.0 so I don’t think it would hurt to let it breath a little easier?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #54
Gegrad

Quote:
That is a good looking setup. Yes, dually gassers are an extremely rare bird to find. When I was looking last October there was a red dually gasser Ram 100 miles away from me that sat on the dealer site for a while before it disappeared one day.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #55
lunge motorsport

Greetings
I have a 2013 GMC 6.0 Ext cab 4 wd with around 45 k miles. Since new the computer indicates an even 12 mpg. Most of those miles are towing miles as I have no commute. I probably average about 60% towing a 10k fifth wheel. When empty and the tires are at max pressure, I have seen up to 17 and I average 10 towing. My trailer is well set up as far as wheels, tires, and axles so it is far from a standard configuration. I also drive at 60 mph and stay out of the throttle as much as possible so that helps the mileage too.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #56
rhagfo

Quote:
How does the new 7.3 towing that large 5er?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #57
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I had a 96 F250 with 7.5L and it pulled great and was stone cold reliable BUT the brakes were HORRIBLE and every panel on the inside had been removed at one time or the other and it rattled to the point of annoying; had over 1/4 million miles and I sold it for a profit as mid-90s Ford trucks seem to be kind of sought after. Not sure why as they were nothing special. Must be the good looks get the young gal's hearts aflutter!
They probably drug it to Ohio to sell. Mid-90's are my favorite Fords. They rot like a SOB in Ohio.

Your generation are notorious for the front bed supports rotting, which makes front of bed drop onto frame.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #58
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
They probably drug it to Ohio to sell. Mid-90's are my favorite Fords. They rot like a SOB in Ohio.

Your generation are notorious for the front bed supports rotting, which makes front of bed drop onto frame.

I lifted cab & bed off the frame and put in new plastic or vinyl bumpers as the originals were made out of what looked like yellow sponge cake and the truck clunked over bumps as a result. I also replaced the bed / frame bumpers. The stuff I used was expensive and although nothing clunks, it squeaks some. I don't hear it anymore.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #59
wiredgeorge

Quote:

That is a beautiful combo. Congratulations and enjoy! We do need a pull report once you have gotten used to things and have put on some miles!

Tags
gas