Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
KnTShow

Talking CONVERTER QUESTION - 2005 Cougar

Hello. Well..... You guessed it, our converter is breathing slowly and about to say goodbye.

My question is simple, do I need to get an exact replacement with the same amperage, or can I get more...... (if so, can I go from 35 to 65)

or, would you recommend one of the Intelipower units that have the wizard who lives inside to protect appliances.

Thanks for your advice!!!!

Tammy Sue
KnTShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

As long as you can keep the "wizard" awake, happy and well fed" chances are his union will let him stay. Just be aware, that if he smokes on the job, you'll probably be looking for a new "wizard"..... All the converter/chargers have improved significantly since 2005. They all are, for the most part, self-contained and interchangeable. As long as the wiring from the converter/charger to the fuse panel is adequate for the amperage of the new converter/charger and the unit will fit in the space available (don't forget ventilation requirements) there's no reason not to upgrade to a higher amperage output. Most modern "mid line RV's" are using 55 amp converter/chargers, so that would probably be a "most available/best price" unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
KnTShow

Thank you so much! Now, do I need to order the whole thing, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Products-Conv.../dp/B0064DRIA2

or can I just order this: https://www.amazon.com/Arterra-WF-89...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the AC breakers and the DC fuse sections of your power distribution panel are functional and not damaged, there's no reason to order the entire package. I'd order just the converter/charger section. It's cheaper and easy to install. HOWEVER: the one you listed: https://www.amazon.com/Arterra-WF-89...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0 is for a built in assembly and MIGHT NOT fit the space in your existing power distribution panel. It would be "safer" to order the "self contained version" which can be mounted anywhere behind your existing panel without worrying that something might fall against the exposed components and damage or short it out.

This one is essentially the same as what you posted in that link, but is "self contained and designed to fit with both old and newer power distribution panels: https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-9855-...CBJ3XSR2THBXDX

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
KnTShow

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I went to go order it this morning and my other half seems to think that we will have to rewire our entire camper in order to upgrade to a higher amperage converter. Is this true? Or is he just being a guy.... you know....5 nails where only two are needed. lol.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Canonman

Your other half is half right If you choose to use the WFCO converter and keep your existing distribution panel, there will be no issue. All the wiring is protected by fuses on the 12v side and breakers on the 100v side. The size of the wiring is based on the amp rating of the fuse or breaker. As an example,(not relative to the converter but to wiring protection) your A/C is probably on a 30 amp breaker. the wiring to the A/C is rated for 30 amps (#10). If for some reason the A/C compressor fails and pulls 50 amps, the breaker will trip protecting the wiring and compressor from electrical overload. A 55 amp converter is expected to supply a total of 55 amps divided over several circuits i.e. battery charging, 10 amps; lights, 15 amps; slides, 20 amps; etc. Most likely you'll never need more than the 55 amps provided by the 8955.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5643.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	22261  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Five nails are always better than two, but a reasonable upgrade of the converter should not require any rewiring. The draw on the circuits are still protected by the same fuses. When I replaced my converter (35 amp) with a 55 amp that was an exact replacement just a few wires and a plug. Also it was the only one dealer had in stock and were leaving for a trip that weekend.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
KnTShow

Ok. So we installed a new converter. Same exact one. It worked for a month and has now stopped working. Any ideas?
Old 10-01-2019, 01:36 AM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnTShow View Post
Ok. So we installed a new converter. Same exact one. It worked for a month and has now stopped working. Any ideas?
How do you know it stopped working? When the converter is plugged into shore power, is there not a charge on the battery bank? Have you tested the "no-load" output voltage on the converter? Have you tested the batteries themselves? Provide more details and members can offer more specific troubleshooting advice.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
KnTShow

All power stopped

Relay on air was clucking. With all power turned off it still clicked. we disconnected battery and it stopped. Went to turn power on and nothing.

Reconnected battery and still nothing. Hooked up a battery charger to battery and everything works. No relay clucking either.

Will be checking fuses later today.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a battery problem.

To test the converter, disconnect the battery (COMPLETELY) from the battery cables. Plug the trailer into shore power and use a multimeter to check the voltage output at the battery cable terminals. You should have 13.6 VDC. If you do, the converter is working and you need to focus on the battery. Take it to an auto parts store and have them check the battery by load testing it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with looking at the battery and following John's advice. A load test will reveal the "true" condition of the battery. Most chain auto parts stores and Wally Worlds with auto centers will load test a battery no charge (pun intended, no charge meaning free. )
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cougar