Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
Kylesmith3021

Electric jack

Right now my electric jacks wire is going straight to my battery so I have to have my battery hooked up to run the jack..Where can I run the wire too so that the jack runs when the camper is plugged in with no battery.
Kylesmith3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
ADQ K9

Pluged in to what? The vehicle or 120? Just the tongue jack or all of them?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

It is wired direct to the battery because of the current draw. You cannot run a power jack through the converter with no battery. There is no other viable option other than to revert to manual jacks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylesmith3021 View Post
Right now my electric jacks wire is going straight to my battery so I have to have my battery hooked up to run the jack..Where can I run the wire too so that the jack runs when the camper is plugged in with no battery.
If you run the jack to the battery with a fuse of course, I think that is standard. So, you can't disconnect the battery to run it off of the converter because the battery must be connected to get any benefit from the converter. Atb least that is my take on it.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Kylesmith3021

Im looking to run the jack when hooked up shore power without having a battery on the trailer
Kylesmith3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Im looking to run the jack when hooked up shore power without having a battery on the trailer
Operating any high current 12vdc device, i.e. jacks or slides, or self levelers, is not recommenced with out a charged battery connected. The converter is not designed to provide the high current load these devices demand. Doing so will lead to a premature failure of the converter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Logan X

You can damage the converter if you run the high power stuff like slides and jacks without a battery.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Out of curiosity why do you want to run without a battery? The converter can do some things but it's not meant to replace the battery(s) for the larger loads. Folks replace just the incandescent bulbs with LEDs just to lower the draw on the converter and all of them don't start to compare with what that jack is drawing. The suggestion of a manual jack was made and that is probably the best bet if operating without a battery (?) is something you want to do.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You stated "when hooked up shore power without having a battery..."

Remember that a battery is REQUIRED when towing. The only means to operate the electric brakes, if the trailer should "uncouple from the tow vehicle" is the electrically actuated braking system which is powered "exclusively by the trailer battery"... So, you've got to have a battery connected when towing, when using the slide motors, leveling/stabilizing leg motors, tongue jack/front landing gear motors or the automatic leveling system.

Not having a battery in the circuit when any of these is activated, puts a "instant high amp load" on the converter. That's something converters are simply not engineered to sustain. Doing so will damage the converter. They tend to ALWAYS fail at the most inopportune time, like in the middle of a long weekend when everything is closed and without the furnace, your trip is ruined....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote