Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
KJJ

Solara Awning knocked off, need repair and remounting advise

Ok, never mind the gruesome details but I knocked the awning off my Passport. Amazingly it looks to be fixable if I can find parts and figure out how to fix/use the holes where the arm rivets pulled out.

Parts needed/found and possible repair options:
Need an idler head as the shaft broke, many sourced for this and should be able to use the cap after I drive the busted shaft out of it.
One arm had a number of bends and a busted piston but I have a spare I had bought because of a slightly bent arm.
Propped up motor and connected to wires hanging off trailer and it still works. Need a plug for the manual override access and LCI has them. This arm is still in great shape, go figure.
Awning fabric has clean straight tear and no other damage I have seen, should be able to clean that up and remount it to the rail on the trailer, will lose an inch or two but don't think that will matter.
Awning tube has a 4" dent about 6" from one end, but is still straight. Might try to bend it back but may just leave it alone, can't tell it's there when the fabric is rolled up.
Top mount brackets, one is bent and the other is broken. Hoping to find a mount hardware kit that includes these but haven't yet, anyone have a source or idea?
The holes in the trailer should be easy to fix, but they used rivets. Some pulled out of the trailer, some pulled out of the arm, some are broken with half of the rivet in the trailer. This is where I need the most advise! The trailer has an aluminum frame so I am sure that the rivets were located to attach to that, so moving the mount points sideways might be bad, and vertically might be bad too, am I right? Reusing the current mount points would require getting the busted rivets out of the trailer (how?) and maybe using wider rivets in case the hole in the frame was widened. I guess another option would be to drill both the trailer and the arms to get new mount points a couple vertical inches from the old ones, but my concern is maybe hitting something vital or drilling into a frame joint.
So, any input here is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Ken

Tags
solar, awning