Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Trailriderjoe

Weights

Hello everyone,
New to the Keystone forum, not to camping.
Thought I would post my weights with the new fifth wheel
Just to get a second set of eyes.

Looks that I am under in all categories.
Only thing missing from the weights is the wife and kids
All gear was loaded going across the scales.

Did a small test run with the new air ride king pin
Really like how it absorbs most everything.
Our roads here are less than desired so I still felt a good bit of chucking

Haven't dialed in the tire pressures either
Was still set at 80 out back and 70 in the rear of the truck.
By the looks of the numbers I could drop back a bit

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weights.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	16215  
Trailriderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I am not sure why you are asking about weights. Your way under the max, not even close in several spots.
About tires on the TV. I have some experience with that, with each RV I have taken time to find the best for the loaded vehicle in front, rear and air bags. It takes a while but finding the psi that the truck handles the best is important to to me. Over or under inflation both cause issues. Nowadays the vehicles have TPMS in them and as the ones I have being around cannot be adjusted. In a vehicle ie pickup made to carry a load or drive empty should have different psi but, they only go for max psi.
I do not think you need a truck or car to drive code-3 as a police vehicle, I did. PSI makes a big difference in how the vehicle handles stopping, turning etc. I nearly crashed a f250 with 80psi on gravel the 1st week I had it, because the TPMS said it had to have 80 in the rear. I aired down and what a difference it made. The same was true with the 1/2 tons I was assigned, all had aftermarket 10ply E tires on them.
With my listed f350 I run 55 front up to 65 loaded, 55 rear up to 80 loaded. depends on the load weight. The tires are max at 80 psi with a load max wt of 3740. Easy to just have them at max psi but the ride and handling may be better and much better at lower psi. tire wear will likely be best if tires are adjusted to a good psi also.
I would suggest the rear drop 10 psi, look at them to be sure there not mussed out, looking bulged like over loaded. Test drive and see. When the front tires are over inflated the truck at least all mine will wonder left- right, not tracking well until that psi that handled best is in them. A real low tire will pull into that direction. In rain, the wrong psi becomes worse and I drive in rain a lot.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
Trailriderjoe

Yea I suspect the remaining harshness is a result of excess tire pressure.
I dropped the truck rear down to 65 and the trailer down to 70
all tires look great still (no bulging side walls).

Have a short weekend trip with only a little over an hour of drive time.
This should give me a good indicator if I am on the right track.

One last thing I noticed:
With the trailers current king pin load I am right at picking up the helper springs. This is something I remember from our old farm truck.
When you load the box to the point where you are right at the helper springs starting to assist; you can get some real harsh ride from the rear half of the truck. Either add or subtract weight, but right at that point we used to get that "slapping" sound and a harsher ride. Of course I see the newer chassis added plastic pucks between the frame bracket and the leaf spring face...Guessing to eliminate the old slapping sound.
Trailriderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote