Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #1

Onboard air

Added an onboard air set up. A generator and a 110 compressor would work also but we don’t travel with a generator as we always camp with hookups. So this was the more cost effective route for me. About $250 all in. Installed a viair 450H compressor and 50’ of line. 100% duty cycle. I can use this to air up the air bags on the truck as well as the truck or camper tires. Not to mention bikes or anything else requiring air. The need for me arose when I got a nail in a trailer tire and had no way to get to an air source. Was getting dark. Not familiar with the area. Tried a few gas stations. At he first one the air station was broken. Second attempt I couldn’t get close enough with the trailer. The one I found that I could get to would only air up to about 50 psi. Trailer runs at 80 psi. So after wasting about 2 hrs and plugging the tire I found a big rig tow truck that had air on board to air up the tire for me. Well now I’m self sufficient. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	16047Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	16048
Old 04-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Very nice. I have onboard air for my bags on the truck. I went a different route for another air source: 5 gal tank with a Viar for my train horns

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Have you considered an accumulation tank? It would make airing up tires and toys quicker. I have a set up in the TV have found it's also handy for using a blow gun to clean out a fuel line, blow sand from the step mats & hinges, etc.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Have you considered an accumulation tank? It would make airing up tires and toys quicker. I have a set up in the TV have found it's also handy for using a blow gun to clean out a fuel line, blow sand from the step mats & hinges, etc.
Flybouy, how big is you air tank? I am considering one to keep my TT tires maintained. Just this weekend I went to the storage lot and installed my TPMS and my tires are setting at 45lbs. I would like to have an air tank for this reason.

Thanks
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

The 450 is a continuous duty compressor. I went with that instead of a tank system. I didn’t want to mount the tank in that compartment and this compressor is designed to run with an open chuck. A tank prob would help air up tires etc a little quicker but this should work for my space and needs. I have a 3 gal 110 compressor that I can throw in the truck if needed. I actually was thinking about an inverter and that 3 gal as my solution. But to start a 1hp compressor my inverter cost was gonna be much higher than the cost of this 12v compressor. And take up considerably more of my front storage space.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

RoscoeV - my tank is 3 gal and came with the compressor for my train horns. You can easily use an inexpensive portable tank like Harbor Freight sells and with a few quick disconnects still use it as a stand alone portable tank.

336 - I understand your compressor is continuous duty, that just means it can run 1 hr without a "rest" before resting for 1 hr according to Viar's site http://www.viaircorp.com/h-models/450h. If you look at their site the pump is rated at 1.04 c.f.m. @ 80 psi. From your photos it looks like you could mount a tank on the wall that the hose holder is mounted to. There are many sizes/shapes of tanks available and any size tank will help with airing of tires as even a 1 gal tank at 100 or 150 psi (depending on compressor) will expand a volume of double the size to roughly 1/2 the pressure very rapidly. I have "topped off" a tire with mine and the compressor didn't need to start. My suggestion wasn't a criticism by any means, It's just been my personal experience with having had several 12v compressors and several 110v compressors in my garage over the years that the larger the tank is the less the compressor has to work.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Didn’t take it as criticism. I looked at some tank options that viair had paired with compressors. Got pricy pretty quick. I only mentioned it was continuous duty as I’m not 100% sure how it would work with a tank. I would need a pressure shut off switch or something I’m guessing. I was under the impression that this was the type of compressor I would want if not going the tank route. Some of the tank paired options had very short duty cycles. I had one of those stupid car lighter ones that basically disintegrated trying to air my truck tires. Just seemed like more work than what I needed it for. I have that portable 3gal and a 33gal that I run the tools off in the garage. All said,I did see some cheap small tanks out there. And I understand the logic. What would be needed to rig it up in series with this compressor.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
The 450 is a continuous duty compressor. I went with that instead of a tank system. I didn’t want to mount the tank in that compartment and this compressor is designed to run with an open chuck. A tank prob would help air up tires etc a little quicker but this should work for my space and needs. I have a 3 gal 110 compressor that I can throw in the truck if needed. I actually was thinking about an inverter and that 3 gal as my solution. But to start a 1hp compressor my inverter cost was gonna be much higher than the cost of this 12v compressor. And take up considerably more of my front storage space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Didn’t take it as criticism. I looked at some tank options that viair had paired with compressors. Got pricy pretty quick. I only mentioned it was continuous duty as I’m not 100% sure how it would work with a tank. I would need a pressure shut off switch or something I’m guessing. I was under the impression that this was the type of compressor I would want if not going the tank route. Some of the tank paired options had very short duty cycles. I had one of those stupid car lighter ones that basically disintegrated trying to air my truck tires. Just seemed like more work than what I needed it for. I have that portable 3gal and a 33gal that I run the tools off in the garage. All said,I did see some cheap small tanks out there. And I understand the logic. What would be needed to rig it up in series with this compressor.
Understand the cost w/tank. I found mine at a really good price after a lengthy search over several months. You would insert a tank in between the braided compressor line and your air hose. You could use a HF portable tank ( 5 gal for $30) or google "compressor air tank". The aluminum tanks are the pricest steel cheapest. Many shapes and sizes out there. Typically they will have several ports in the tank, connect the compressor to one, the output air to another and the cutoff switch to a third. Cut off switch like this https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Pr...shut+off+valve is about $15. If you use the HF option you could make all your connections using a little plumbing and some "t,s" but it won't be as efficient If you are keeping a 120v compressor in the garage then it would probably not be worth it as I think you would mainly use that. Nice install by the way, very neat and professional looking.