Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #1
Myk

Landing Gear Problem

As we prepared to leave the campground yesterday, we started to extend the landing gear and noticed only the street side was extending. I looked inside at the motor and saw the bolt that connects the motor shaft to the tube that runs across to the curbside landing gear had broken.

After a quick trip to the local hardware store, I put a quarter inch Grade 5 bolt in and everything worked fine.

Are those bolts special in any way, is the grade 5 bolt okay for this application?
Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The bolt is made to shear in certain conditions. Your fine with your choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
As we prepared to leave the campground yesterday, we started to extend the landing gear and noticed only the street side was extending. I looked inside at the motor and saw the bolt that connects the motor shaft to the tube that runs across to the curbside landing gear had broken.

After a quick trip to the local hardware store, I put a quarter inch Grade 5 bolt in and everything worked fine.

Are those bolts special in any way, is the grade 5 bolt okay for this application?
If you still have the old bolt head, you can identify what grade it is for yourself. If this chart doesn't have what you need, there are plenty of others on the net.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
drdarrin

Are you aware that your landing gear requires periodic lubrication? Mine has zerks on the front of each leg which can't be seen unless you're looking for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Myk

Thanks for the replies. The broken bolt was an Allen head so likely someone had already replaced the original.

Yes, I know about lubricating the landing gear and have done so recently.

Thanks again
Myk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear