Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
madmaxmutt

Keystone manual and the GEO method

Yes, this is a sour subject and I apologize if this has been asked and answered 1612 times, but . . .

I have previously used the GEO method of water softener, bleach and detergent in another trailer with great results. I see the Keystone manual says "Do not put these items in toilet or drains" . . . . "Detergents or bleach". This makes no sense to me for a couple of reasons. First, I feel like I cannot be the only Keystone customer that is/would do this. Second, You have to put bleach in the fresh water tank. Anyone know why the manual says this?

Opinions?

Thanks
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Luvkoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Yes, this is a sour subject and I apologize if this has been asked and answered 1612 times, but . . .

I have previously used the GEO method of water softener, bleach and detergent in another trailer with great results. I see the Keystone manual says "Do not put these items in toilet or drains" . . . . "Detergents or bleach". This makes no sense to me for a couple of reasons. First, I feel like I cannot be the only Keystone customer that is/would do this. Second, You have to put bleach in the fresh water tank. Anyone know why the manual says this?

Opinions?

Thanks
Ahhhhh...coincidentally we just read many articles about people using this method, AND purchased the supplies to do so. It all seems like a win/win situation to us. In fact dw even questioned as to whether we could substitute Oxi Clean for the powered detergent.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvkoi View Post
Ahhhhh...coincidentally we just read many articles about people using this method, AND purchased the supplies to do so. It all seems like a win/win situation to us. In fact dw even questioned as to whether we could substitute Oxi Clean for the powered detergent.
I am not sure about the Oxi-Clean. I personally use pre-mixed (all liquid) in one of the old laundry detergent bottles. They seal well and I don't have to do anything but pour. IMO, adding any other solid in the black tank is a bad idea.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Luvkoi

She uses Oxi-Clean for almost everything and seems it "de-gunks" (if that's a word) everything with no issues or precautions. Guess she figures if it's safe for grandkids toys, it's safe for other "crap" [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvkoi View Post
She uses Oxi-Clean for almost everything and seems it "de-gunks" (if that's a word) everything with no issues or precautions. Guess she figures if it's safe for grandkids toys, it's safe for other "crap" [emoji6]

LOL, yes it definitely works wonders. I had to take the car interior apart after a black bear decided to break the window and eat my groceries. I used an entire bucket of Oxi to get that smell out of the material.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
jsmith948

As in this month's trailer life for Ice-cream sewer treatment.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
As in this month's trailer life for Ice-cream sewer treatment.
??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #8
jsmith948

That is NOT what I intended to say!!!!
There is an ad for OxyClean tank treatment in trailer life.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Luvkoi

Okaay...gotta say had me smh as well. LOL

Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
That is NOT what I intended to say!!!!
There is an ad for OxyClean tank treatment in trailer life.
[emoji4]

Old 08-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
theeyres

Bleach is harsh and there is absolutely no need for it in the black tank. You don't need sterilize the tank: you are not drinking the water! Leave it out and you will be just fine. Water is doing 99% of the job anyway. Listen to Keystone. There is a reason for their comments.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Bleach is harsh and there is absolutely no need for it in the black tank. You don't need sterilize the tank: you are not drinking the water! Leave it out and you will be just fine. Water is doing 99% of the job anyway. Listen to Keystone. There is a reason for their comments.
Do you know the reason? That is what I am trying to find out. The Geo method is pretty close to running a washing machine. I prefer that over other chemicals and/or some short term bio experiment, if there isn't a good reason.

I may have to look at other manufacturer manuals and see they say. Is there some difference in keystone tanks? Tons of people doing this from reports, at least on the Internet

Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

When I get back to work next week, I will look in other brands books.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
mfifield01

I've been using the GEO method for over a year now (without bleach). The only negative is the sensors. The blank tank seems to read 2/3 when empty. At this point, I feel like I might need something stronger to clean the tanks.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I've been using the GEO method for over a year now (without bleach). The only negative is the sensors. The blank tank seems to read 2/3 when empty. At this point, I feel like I might need something stronger to clean the tanks.
I don't believe any chemical method is going to help you with the sensors. I still used a wand on the old trailer. My new one should have a black tank flush.

There are better sensors available, but I have never met anyone that had them. They were a pretty penny when I looked at them.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 AM   #16
Dave W

I generally use lots of water and back flush the black tank from the drain outlet and maybe use a bit of deodorizer if we don't drain for a few days. Bleach may interact with the poly tanks or the ABS piping and why Keystone says not to use it. I'm not a chemist but do know what some chemicals will do to PVC/ABS after doing some 'wet' chemistry for work and it isn't pretty, especially when one of the nasties was cyanide.

Better tank sensors are the externally mounted, pretty expensive SeeLevel (https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/) and the Valterra Miracle Probes (http://www.valterra.com/product/hors...pack-4-carded/) which are better but not a 'cure'. I've found after installing in our black tank that the 'wrong' TP will still hang up on them when traveling and show incorrect monitor readings. I installed the SeeLevel sensors on our last 5er. They worked perfectly but were a major PITA to install on that RV.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 AM   #17
fixn2gocamp

I have used Simple Green, 1/4 cup per 40 gal tank, for years in my MH, and now am using it in my TT. Never had an odor problem and sensors work. Love Dawn for dishes, but worry about the suds. SG makes suds too, but not as enthusiastically as Dawn does. So I guess the reason for the Calgon is to create that "slickery" condition to keep things from sticking to the sensors?

I think the tanks are all make from the same plastic (correct)? So if you can use 1/4 cup of bleach in your fresh water tank to sterilize it, I don't see that it would hurt the plastic in your black tank. Having said all that....I haven't gone wrong for the last 8 years following the manufacturers instructions....so if Keystone says no bleach, I'm not using bleach.
2020 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4
Reese M-5 20000 Lb 5th wheel hitch
Also in inventory: 2020 Big Horn 3925 MLP 5th wheel
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #18
Javi

I have used Dawn for years in my black and grey tanks with no adverse issues... % gallons or so of water after final dump and add a few squirts of Dawn for the drive home... Gauges work just fine.. I can't phantom why suds would be an issue at any time.. Suds require agitation to form...
Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #19
mfifield01

I always black flush. Sometimes, I fill the tank up 3-4 times via the black flush. I have been using Laundry Detergent and Calgon. I may switch to Dawn (with Calgon) and see if my sensors start to work again.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Black tank sensors quit working right because TP gets caught on them and will "wick" the moisture from the liquid below. A good cleaning and using lots of water with each flush should prevent it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone