Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
B&T_NF-NY

New RV roof maintenence

During the signing process of getting the RV, the manager stated that we would have to seal the roof every year. I planned to inspect everything regularly anyway. I've read horror stories about water leak issues and want to prevent this from happening. Any thoughts would be greatly​ appreciated.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
bobbecky

I think the warning or caution was more a suggestion that you or someone inspects the caulking and the roof surface for possible leak sources. You don't need to apply a sealer to these roofs on a regular basis. You do need to check the caulking regularly, as exposure to the elements can cause caulking to crack which will allow water leaks. You also want to do a visual check of the rubber roof to check for damage from tree branches and such. It is a good thing to carry a caulking gun and a tube of Dicor or other brand of self leveling caulking intended for these rubber roofs so damaged caulking can be sealed as soon as possible.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The most important maintenance actions you can perform on your trailer are arguably inspecting and maintaining the roof. Your dealer's statement of an "annual" sealing is woefully inadequate per the Keystone Owner's Manual. If you check your RV Owner's Guide, you'll see the following statement (probably around page 80):

"Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of
silicone product on the rubber roof material."

Read and follow all the maintenance/inspection requirements in the manual, but pay particular attention to how to inspect and maintain your roof. It's the key to preventing water damage which is the biggest threat to a "healthy RV".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
B&T_NF-NY

I have not taken possession of the unit yet, but I will try to download the manual. I'm certain that he said to seal it, but I will keep a very close eye on the roof either way. Thank you for your help, We really appreciate it.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the Keystone Owner's Manual here: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof