Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
satwood

Bullet 272BHS - Leaking doors on storage spaces

Hello Everyone,

I've been experiencing intermittent leaks on the storage compartment doors on our 2015 Bullet for the past year or so. These are the doors at the bottom left and right front that fold up to access the storage under the master bedroom. At first I thought it was the gaskets not fitting right between the doors and the frames, so I installed new ones. Then I thought the latches were leaking (and they were) so I removed them all, cleaned and sealed with RTV where they go through the doors and re-tightened. Still no success. After a few hard rainstorms a towel under the inside lip of either door gets soaking wet. I can also see water sometimes on the inner lip when I open the doors.

Any thoughts? My guess is some of you may have experienced similar things and probably know what to do. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
satwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
GaryWT

I had leaks as well, water would sit on the lower frame and leak through where the latch hooks into. I removed the plate and the piece of foam that is to seal things was useless. I used sealant to fill the entire hole and then pushed the plate back in while the sealant was still wet and screwed it in. No problems since.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If, as you indicated, the doors swing up, you have a hinge along the top of the door. You might want to consider a bead of silicone along the entire top surface of the hinge. Often that's a source of water intrusion that's very difficult to find and even harder to stop.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
slow

Check out posts #2 and #10
in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25170
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
satwood

Well, thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, those are exactly the same fold-up doors I have shown in that other thread and I'm going to try this right-quick and see how it works. I did wonder about those hinges but did not specifically consider that interface as a wick, which it could be. I wonder why they don't assemble them with a gasket in the seam there - they must know about this problem...

Thanks for your help!
satwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by satwood View Post
... I wonder why they don't assemble them with a gasket in the seam there - they must know about this problem...

Thanks for your help!
Hopefully that will fix your leak. As for your question about why the factory doesn't "add a gasket" it's most likely the same "cost consideration" for that gasket that motivates them to install "sub-par" tires, inferior mattresses, cheap stereos and TV's, plastic fenders and many more "low bid" items.....

It's all a matter of what the market will pay and how much profit they can make.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by satwood View Post
........... I wonder why they don't assemble them with a gasket in the seam there - they must know about this problem...
Like John wrote, to reduce cost. But there are times I wonder if the designers have ever actually used a TT or FW to experience these issues first hand.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, leak, storage