Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
srvnt

Dirty Caulk

Tried several types of white caulk and they all turn pretty much black before to long. I tried some Dicor lap sealant on the shore power port to see if that would hold up. Would clear work better? The original , whatever it is, looks good after 4 years, but when I replace some it gets dark even after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3002 (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	12112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2989.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	12113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2990.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	12114  

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
cpaulsen

Awesome Orange works.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
srvnt

Thanks, I'll try it!

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
HB Cal
Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Was the caulk on the city water inlet white when you put it on??? I've not seen any kind of caulk go from white to black
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
srvnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Was the caulk on the city water inlet white when you put it on??? I've not seen any kind of caulk go from white to black
Yes, it was white last year. Don't remember what brand but probably the better stuff from HD. Thinking about testing some clear to see how it goes. The Dicor non sag lap sealant on the shore power port will probably turn blackish too.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
HB Cal
Old 03-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
dirt33

I use clear, and it turns quite dark over time as well. The last few jobs I have done, I used Proflex clear. Within 6 months, it is dark (about the color of the caulk around your fresh water tank inlet in your photo above). All of the areas on my TT that were caulked from the factory still look much better (7 years later) than some of the caulk I have put on just in the last year. Sure would like to know what the pros use, and how it stays mostly clean-looking for so long...
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
I use clear, and it turns quite dark over time as well. The last few jobs I have done, I used Proflex clear. Within 6 months, it is dark (about the color of the caulk around your fresh water tank inlet in your photo above). All of the areas on my TT that were caulked from the factory still look much better (7 years later) than some of the caulk I have put on just in the last year. Sure would like to know what the pros use, and how it stays mostly clean-looking for so long...
Have y'all ever just asked a dealer what they use? I've used butyl tape but not any caulk so haven't experienced that issue. I'll be at CW tomorrow visiting with the service manager and I'll try to remember to ask him what they use....if things don't go sideways....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
dirt33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have y'all ever just asked a dealer what they use? I've used butyl tape but not any caulk so haven't experienced that issue. I'll be at CW tomorrow visiting with the service manager and I'll try to remember to ask him what they use....if things don't go sideways....
My local dealer (small town Mom & Pop) is where I buy the Proflex, and they say that that is all they use (and it is indeed the only kind that they sell).
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Westley's Bleche White will remove the black stains from almost all RV caulk. It is extremely caustic so use it carefully. I use a small acid brush to apply it to the caulk and avoid just spraying it on "everything". Let it sit a few minutes, use a toothbrush sized "hard bristle" brush and follow with a good rinse. It's not something you'll want to spray on your decals, forget about anything "fragile", but it's an effective cleaner for stained caulk, if you use it carefully.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote